Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Scored big time at a show tonight! Dealer was selling 90's boxes dirt cheap, like $10 for 1998 and 1999 Bowman, 2000 Topps, 1999 Fleer/SI, 1996 Stadium Club, and others. Picked up a 1999 Fleer/SI box and a 2000 Topps S2 box for $10 each, really hoping to pull an MVP out of the Topps. No luck there, but I did get a 20th Century Best Sequential Tony Gwynn 42/3067! These are great looking cards, and it's the first one I've ever owned from that set (no scan right now, not hooked up). Wish I had more money, I would have bought a dozen boxes.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
TNP777 said:
proof that all player collectors are crazy - that card is chewed up and still went over four bills.
Those Promo's are so rare they make 1993 Finest Refractors seem as commom as 1988 Donruss.
That was a good price even in that condition.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Hendersonfan said:
Did all cards from that set have a promo?

Yes, all cards from the set had a promo, although Beckett doesn't recognize that fact. Nosterbor is right. One of the rarest promos out there. It's rare to see any player listed for sale. I have saved scans of about 8 or 9 players right now, but I have seen others listed too. I was a very active bidder on that Brett, but $400 definitely exceeded my limits. He had another one listed a couple of weeks ago, it brought around $350.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
clarkfan said:
Hendersonfan said:

Yes, all cards from the set had a promo, although Beckett doesn't recognize that fact. Nosterbor is right. One of the rarest promos out there. It's rare to see any player listed for sale. I have saved scans of about 8 or 9 players right now, but I have seen others listed too. I was a very active bidder on that Brett, but $400 definitely exceeded my limits. He had another one listed a couple of weeks ago, it brought around $350.

Which ones have you seen? I don't look for these often so I haven't seen many over the years.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
onionring9 said:
clarkfan said:
Hendersonfan said:

Which ones have you seen? I don't look for these often so I haven't seen many over the years.

A Sandberg popped up on the bay a few months ago. I put in a hefty bid but fell way short. I can't, for the life of me, remember where it ended.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
onionring9 said:
clarkfan said:
Hendersonfan said:

Cal Ripken, Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey, Don Mattingly, Dave Winfield, Kirby Puckett, Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, Will Clark, Eddie Murray, Mark McGwire, Juan Gonzalez, Nolan Ryan, George Brett, Wade Boggs. I think that's about it. I have scans of most, but not all.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
thelesquad said:
onionring9 said:
clarkfan said:
Hendersonfan said:

A Sandberg popped up on the bay a few months ago. I put in a hefty bid but fell way short. I can't, for the life of me, remember where it ended.

The last one I remember seeing went for $210 but that was in September 2010

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
clarkfan said:
onionring9 said:
clarkfan said:
Hendersonfan said:

Cal Ripken, Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey, Don Mattingly, Dave Winfield, Kirby Puckett, Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, Will Clark, Eddie Murray, Mark McGwire, Juan Gonzalez, Nolan Ryan, George Brett, Wade Boggs. I think that's about it. I have scans of most, but not all.
I got one just a month ago.
juan_picture.php
juan_picture.php

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
clarkfan said:
thelesquad said:
onionring9 said:
clarkfan said:
Hendersonfan said:

Could it have been that long ago? It popped up about the same time as an aqueous test. That may be it. It didn't go as high as I had thought. I guess I mis-remembered.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
thelesquad said:
clarkfan said:
thelesquad said:
onionring9 said:
clarkfan said:
[quote="Hendersonfan":10a5al80]Did all cards from that set have a promo?

Could it have been that long ago? It popped up about the same time as an aqueous test. That may be it. It didn't go as high as I had thought. I guess I mis-remembered.[/quote:10a5al80]

I easily could have missed another one, so don't take the one I saw as the last one as fact. I did track the price though. One definitely sold in September 2010 for $210, sold by texan2gators

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
KLARNOLD said:
Why can't I ever make money like that?

Must have been before the FCB '90s thread. I don't know if it's just correlation, but I think it's actual relation; either way, the '90s threads have spiked a lot of crazes. For example, in as awesome as Crusades are, much of their hype growth started right here.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
BunchOBull said:
KLARNOLD said:

Must have been before the FCB '90s thread. I don't know if it's just correlation, but I think it's actual relation; either way, the '90s threads have spiked a lot of crazes. For example, in as awesome as Crusades are, much of their hype growth started right here.

I don't think these threads fueled the Crusades.. like the totally certified platinum golds and Select mirror golds the Red Crusades already were established due to scarcity and a few collectors that hoarded them driving the values on them way up. This thread has definately brought in new collectors to compete with the player collectors and tipped off many resellers that these cards are in demand in general driving up the prices across the board.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Alot of the more rare inserts of the 90's are in Asia. That is where most of the 95/99 case's went and thats a fact.They are hoarded by collectors in Japan,Taiwan,Hong Kong. Supply and demand are driving the price's up, the bigger supply is mostly over there hoarded by collectors not to been seen again. The the bigger demand is now here with all the player collectors. Blame Nomo!

P.S.
I remember 1995. I wanted some bowman boxes to open.The price was though the roof because the supply was very low. Same as with most of the 95 product. That was the year of Nomo Mania.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
1st4040 said:
BunchOBull said:
KLARNOLD said:

I don't think these threads fueled the Crusades.. like the totally certified platinum golds and Select mirror golds the Red Crusades already were established due to scarcity and a few collectors that hoarded them driving the values on them way up. This thread has definately brought in new collectors to compete with the player collectors and tipped off many resellers that these cards are in demand in general driving up the prices across the board.

I'm not saying they weren't already popular, but I would venture to guess there was a period of time in which more than half of the Crusades listed on eBay were purchased by posters in this thread. Without a doubt, many rare Frank Thomas cards became much more difficult to purchase after being mentioned in this thread.

Members online

Latest posts