Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I'm not sure if this proves anyone's points, but here's my Crusade story.

In 2000 a Rusty Greer Red Crusade hit ebay. It was the first one to hit ebay (and probably Beckett) since the release of Crusades. It went for about $350. Back then you could message the winner, and a fellow Greer collector asked him, "Why?" The guy was from Hong Kong or Taiwan or something and said he "just wanted a cool card."

I was AWOL from collecting from about 2001 to 2010, so I don't know if any Red Rustys hit ebay during that time. But earlier this year I won one on ebay for about $70. I'm sure that part of the deflation is the fact that Rusty never really did make a name for himself and is pretty much forgotten.

Take from that story what you will. Maybe put it together with any other evidence you may have to make any conclusions.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I had the Donruss Crusade Red Clark on the top of my want list for years before one finally surfaced in 2009. I have watched sales on them, off and on, since 1998. They have always sold amazingly well, they are 1 set that need no forum exposure to boost sales. This site can definitely help sales though, but Crusades might be one of the few exceptions that need no additional hype to sell for big money. If anything, the international market has lessened on them in recent years, making it easier for player collector's to obtain their guy.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Okay guys, these threads have had no historical influence on '90s inserts... :benson:

Just because something is cheaper today doesn't mean there weren't amazingly unprecedented spikes on cards being coveted on these threads.

That stupid Black Gold Winner as the most recent example.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
JMO, but hype begins when people holding large amounts of cards/set sell off. FCB might have an up-tick but nothing like when Burbank first listed the large group or the two sellers off'ed so many Crusades.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
George_Calfas said:
JMO, but hype begins when people holding large amounts of cards/set sell off. FCB might have an up-tick but nothing like when Burbank first listed the large group or the two sellers off'ed so many Crusades.

Very true. I remember when those 2 groups got put onto ebay and almost every other topic on here was about Crusades. A website was built, a facebook page started . . . then nothing. It was the hoards being sold off that started the new hype, not the forum. Forum just assisted with additional exposure, but they were going to do well regardless.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
And that's where we disagree; if not for this forum, among a couple of other venues, I don't believe the competition for these cards would have been nearly as steep.

This place was a living pissing match for quite awhile after those sell offs.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
BunchOBull said:
And that's where we disagree; if not for this forum, among a couple of other venues, I don't believe the competition for these cards would have been nearly as steep.

This place was a living pissing match for quite awhile after those sell offs.

Another true statement.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
BunchOBull said:
Okay guys, these threads have had no historical influence on '90s inserts... :benson:

Just because something is cheaper today doesn't mean there weren't amazingly unprecedented spikes on cards being coveted on these threads.

That stupid Black Gold Winner as the most recent example.
Long before i even knew of this web site, i put a bid on a the 94 black gold, it sold for $185. That was 2008.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm sure it did. However, historically, they haven't sold for that price, and certainly not for what the copy first mentioned here sold for.

Just because Stalin gave a kid a piece of candy one time doesn't mean he was a good man.

I know I've made hundreds, if not thousands of extra dollars after purchase price from simply riding the trends on this forum. Funnily enough, several of the naysayers who have chimed in have done the same, and yet they state they believe differently.

Sep 11, 2009
BunchOBull said:
Without a doubt, many rare Frank Thomas cards became much more difficult to purchase after being mentioned in this thread.

I just got out of college and got a job that allowed me to spend money on 90's Frank's cards. But all seriousness seems like all 90's stuff is going up. I remember buying cards for 20 bucks that you can't even touch for less than a bill. I bought a 1999 Bowman Gold Refractor /25 in 2000 off eBay for $13, I bought a 1999 Bowman International Refractor /100 for $85 earlier this year and I thought I did good. Prices are insane.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Maybe PART OF IT is history is just repeating itself. Just like the boom in the 80's of baby boomers reliving their youth, now a portion of the people that were introduced to collecting in the 90's peak are coming back because their financial situation allows them to be nostalgic. Improved finances and nostalgia are two of the reasons I've returned, for example.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
RustyGreerFan said:
Maybe PART OF IT is history is just repeating itself. Just like the boom in the 80's of baby boomers reliving their youth, now a portion of the people that were introduced to collecting in the 90's peak are coming back because their financial situation allows them to be nostalgic. Improved finances and nostalgia are two of the reasons I've returned, for example.

I think that has a lot to do with it actually. I remember seeing the first Crusade Red of Clark when I was in college. It shot way past what I could spend then, that was around 1999 or 2000. Now that I have a full time job, I'm allowed a few more luxuries than before. I just think our spending ability has made 90's inserts go up in value. But, in the end, it's lots of factors (money, this site, rarity, popularity, loyalty)

Totally off subject, but I sell Nerf Turbo Football's for $75 to $80 each. Why? Because dorks like me who loved those things when they were kids can't find them and now they have job/their own kids and want to show their kids the fun they had with them when they were younger.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
RustyGreerFan said:

This. My collection really got huge in the late 90's, especially 1998, which I consider to be one of the best card years ever. Then, by mid 2001, it was almost all gone. Now, all these years later, all I want to do is have the awesome cards I once had back. I know I had cards that are appallingly scarce now, but back then were just junk or commons, stuff no one ever thought would be worth a damn. If there had been an FCB back then, maybe everyone would have known right from the beginning which 90's inserts were rarer than expected, instead of just relying on what Beckett told us.

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
WoW~! Who said the 90's were dead?!?!? :D

Sold for $311.51 today.

$(KGrHqR,!l4E6BiI7fQyBOrE8dQmQg~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160673653416?ss ... 1423.l2649

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
These are such amazing looking cards in person. I pulled a Jason Giambi over the summer, and a mere scan does them no justice. I just wish I had pulled someone that's in demand; that Jeter went for over 10x BV, I'd be thrilled if someone offered me that for my Giambi!

Be8el0ve said:
WoW~! Who said the 90's were dead?!?!? :D

Sold for $311.51 today.

$(KGrHqR,!l4E6BiI7fQyBOrE8dQmQg~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160673653416?ss ... 1423.l2649

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
RustyGreerFan said:
Wow, those BIN Diffractors that went up on the bay sure went fast. Only Biggio left. I was tempted on Larkin, but only picked up the Buhner.
That card is sick. Let me know when you get bored with it :mrgreen:

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
RustyGreerFan said:

this is precisely what I accredit to, same thing happened in collecting hardcore records my other shared interest with cardboard picture cards. once everyone who was a poor broke kid who wished they had all the sought after records got out of school, got real jobs and actually had disposable income to throw at stuff, they can afford to drop bigger money on the stuff they want... and on the rarer items they always wanted or want now and don't have to be as choosy about spending the cash.

its happened in almost every hobby I've been a part of when you get a large chunk of people with money who cling to nostalgia

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I thought Tek was a pretty lame gimmick at the time, but I'm so glad they did it right in 1998. Gives collectors a long-term project. It will be interesting to see how many Buhner Diffractors I have ten years from now. I have 4 or 5 so far.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
RustyGreerFan said:
I thought Tek was a pretty lame gimmick at the time, but I'm so glad they did it right in 1998. Gives collectors a long-term project. It will be interesting to see how many Buhner Diffractors I have ten years from now. I have 4 or 5 so far.
This is true. Sometimes I hate the "Tek Project" which I started about a year ago but it does give me something to do long-term. I have 3 or 4 of the diffractor's from '98 and 10 or 11 golds from '99.

Members online

Latest posts