Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pathetic card shops in my area .. and a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
All In Cards said:
you could start out small or even try something different.

Talk to the mall management and ask about having a show in the mall. You could promote the show and be in charge of it all. Make a few bucks and then also have a table for wax and singles.

This. I would definitely make the trip if you did a show, we haven't had a card show in the area in years.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
200lbhockeyplayer said:
All In Cards said:
you could start out small or even try something different.

Talk to the mall management and ask about having a show in the mall. You could promote the show and be in charge of it all. Make a few bucks and then also have a table for wax and singles.
Great idea.

Plus, doing this would allow you to see first hand if there is any interest locally regarding cards, and you'll see some spending habits.

That is a great idea to start out. And also what you pointed out above. I like the promoting a show however just to see what the market would hold. I think I will start with the show idea first and go from there.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Everytime I've made similar offers to card stores, they've said no.

And unless it's a great mall with tons of foot traffic, you're better off getting a smaller space "in town". The rent/insurance, etc. are just too high unless you already have a good thing going. Also, adding singles, jerseys, etc. and novelties for product diversity would only help, especaially with baseball releases so far and few between now.

There are tons of things you could do to drive traffic in, and the companies and hobby publications cah help with that. But I think you're marketing and enthuasism would overcome less foot traffic and if you're better than the two competitors, which sounds pretty easy, you should excel there and then think about a bigger/better spot.

BTW, are there some bigger cities nearby? 'cuz 18,000 people might not support one store and definitely not three. One good one, and I hope that's yours, if you choose to, would probably be the max.

GL either way!

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
gt2590 said:
Everytime I've made similar offers to card stores, they've said no.

And unless it's a great mall with tons of foot traffic, you're better off getting a smaller space "in town". The rent/insurance, etc. are just too high unless you already have a good thing going. Also, adding singles, jerseys, etc. and novelties for product diversity would only help, especaially with baseball releases so far and few between now.

There are tons of things you could do to drive traffic in, and the companies and hobby publications cah help with that. But I think you're marketing and enthuasism would overcome less foot traffic and if you're better than the two competitors, which sounds pretty easy, you should excel there and then think about a bigger/better spot.

BTW, are there some bigger cities nearby? 'cuz 18,000 people might not support one store and definitely not three. One good one, and I hope that's yours, if you choose to, would probably be the max.

GL either way!

Thank you for great input. This is exactly why I posted on here because I knew I would get great advice. I have a lot of research to do along with trying out a show and see what kind of interest I can drum up.

Thanks again to all!

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
prospectorgems said:
All In Cards said:
Its cant hurt to ask.

My parents always told me the worst answer you can get is NO.

That's true...or a slap in the face...which depending who is slapping me, I may like it. :eek:

Post thanked :) And if you do make a shop, hope it does well :)

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
So not trying to take this another direction, and know the card aspect would probably be over-whelming enough.......but does the area have any good comic book stores?

I hear/see these shops catering mainly just to sports cards - the display of over-priced singles, under-stocked and over-priced wax, and it seems obvious why these places are failing. It's just my opinion - but I feel you can have a successful hobby shop, if you aren't limiting yourself and are appealing to multiple groups/interests.
As someone said - the Magic type games would be a must. There are other RPG type games (figures/manuals) that have a market. You can sell supplies. I've seen things like those stupid character rubber bands kids wear now in shops and sell a ton. And I think some comics/trade paperbacks if possible would be helpful. There seems to be a pretty good market (at least here in Chicago) and even if a person follows just a few titles - it's a great way to make sure their in the store on a weekly/monthly basis.

My thing is each of these areas may not have enough interest on their own to support a business, but if you combine them it's my belief you could find a market. And if you can meet multiple needs - at least imo it becomes the type of place you'd actually go out of your way to go to. Not to mention you're bound to get cross-over (i.e. - turn a card collector onto comics and vise- versa). But this is contingent on there not being a store(s) that already meet some of these needs.

msink28

Dec 24, 2008
I don't want to sound too mean, but I have a really hard time believing that there's sufficient demand for three card shops in the same mall in a town of 18,000. It seems that you might be able to run one of those other guys out of business, but even still, you will probably go under yourself. It will take years to break even. I wouldn't try this at all. I agree with the "no financial sense" idea. Remember, breaking even isn't good enough. You have to turn enough profit to pay your personal bills, provide for your family, and save for your future.

I have collected cards for around twenty years now, since I was maybe 7. It has never been harder for me to find a card shop than it is now. Demand is simply way too low. I live in Cincinnati and there are maybe 5-7 "viable" card shops in an MSA of well over a million. And Cincy has two pro sports teams. Columbus is the same way. If you're on this site, you are in the top 1% of card enthusiasts. Most people aren't as enthusiastic as you are. I'll be honest. I have thought for years that I can do better. After talking with guys who are still around, I think now that I probably couldn't do much better.

That being said, if you're hell-bent on trying this, there are some good ideas here. You'll have to sell memorabilia, but probably only of local guys. Parents/wives/etc. want t-shirts, jerseys, autographed photos, hoodies etc., and if you don't have those they won't be back. Magic the Gathering is necessary. There are some similarities between MTG and sports cards, I think. Not too many, but enough. Comics aren't a bad idea, but you probably don't know too much about comics and you probably shouldn't buy a lot of stuff that you don't know anything about. Don't be afraid to take a loss. Your shelf space is valuable and that 1998 Bowman ain't gonna sell for anything.

You're in Wisconsin? That should mean Packers, Packers, Packers. I would probably carry an inventory of >10,000 Packers cards and consistently mark them up $.10 over whatever you pay. You can start with those big lots on eBay of Aaron Rodgers, Driver, etc. You could probably mark those up a little bit and sell them to little kids, or even give them away to build good will. You'll be able to mark up autographed cards a little bit and if you're reasonable- i.e., you buy them off eBay and sell them in your store for 1.2-1.3X what you pay, people might be willing to buy from you there instead of online.

I think a huge problem for these stores is that they just make up ridiculous markups on memorabilia. I don't want to buy your John Elway auto helmet with questionable authenticity for $599.99. Sorry, just not interested. These things sit on shelves forever. You'll have to be pretty lean and have stuff that everyone can afford.

voteEjordan

Jul 10, 2010
Washington DC
I'd be interested to see the number of people who think a population of 18,000 can support even one hobby shop!

I live in Washington DC and there are no hobby shops. There are a few in the surrounding VA/MD suburbs, but I don't own a car- maybe among card collectors this is unique, but plenty of people stick to shopping in the city and the metro system since insurance and parking kills you in the city.

Weird thing is I think a card shop would do alright. Washington is becoming a sports town: you've got the Nationals and Capitals with hobby favorites, the Wizards with a #1 overall draft pick in Wall. The Redskins are the Redskins but I think cards would sell. Based on what I've seen at the Target (only place I've found wax) the basketball and football packs tend to get bought or at least picked through. Maybe the market is really just retail users (kids buying a pack or two) and the hobbyists who drive out to the suburbs or order online.

Rents must be too high, and I'm also not sure what location would be best. But if I ever hit Powerball I'll give it a shot!

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
i did the displays for one local shop for years we traded unopened boxes for stars . when he closed i got all the older cards inventory mostly 83/89 . Location and rent are the main factors for staying in business . no shops within 30 miles of me , with only a minor league baseball team near . anything over $3.00 would be hard to sell to kids and walk in $$$ people are dealing on the NET .
good luck and when i win lottery i'll travel not sitting in a store :lol: :lol:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I agree with needing to have MTG and some comics but the bad thing is...you need to create space for a playing area. And I will say this...I have never been to a shop where they had MTG and comics and also sports cards, and ever felt like it was worth going back to. Most of these types of hybrid stores do well but not for sports cards.

And that is what I am getting at. I don't want to go to a shop and feel like the outsider because the staff and all the customers are more interested in Magic or Pokemon or Yughio or War Hammer. If the customers are all hopped up on those that is somewhat okay but most of these types of shops seem to be very heavily slanted that way with sports cards being the minority and the staff normally treat it as such. I'd rather go to a dedicated store. If you have to go with gaming stuff do it but do not let it override what your main focus is. On top of that...like someone else said, do signed stuff and also signings of local guys. You might even be able to get them to charge less for the couple of hours they come out for if you donate the proceeds to a charity of the athletes choice. It will still increase traffic and also boost sales.

joelmcook

Aug 1, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
Okay I have worked in a hobby shop during college and it was really tough work. The one thing we made the most money on was getting people in the store and buying things out of the store front like 8x10 autos memorabilia and what have yous. Honestly wax was a big part of the store and we tried to keep the new stuff in stock as much as possible, but what good is a case of triple threads going to do sitting on a shelf or back room. Its about a local customer base and having them order boxes and off those orders have a few extra boxes of different products in case they get the itch. Also keeping cheaper wax is smart because people are going to want cheap wax. Also singles in store is a great idea because sometimes people are going to want singular players. Everyone thinks running a card store is easy, but in all honesty it is not. You have to be on top of your game to keep the good players in stock and know what people are going to want to collect. If you have never owned a card shop go to one of the owners and try to help them because im sure they would love someone who knows something about the hobby. Like other people have said the worst thing they can say is no. Like a wise man once said, if it was easy then everyone would do it.

Good Luck in all ventures

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Comic book sales can help. Once you get known and get a regular customer base, you're in good shape. You get a ton of repeat business, almost every week and on Wednesday, when normal business is probably slow anyway.

And the main (and really only) distributor does sell other stuff you can grab from them including wax and supplies that might be HTF from other places (only ordering hot wax for instance).

But getting that regular customer base does take a while.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I'm looking to open a store in my area.
Im going to have a nice selection of boxes, packs, supplies, Magic, etc
I want it to be fun when you come into my store.
Doing group breaks, pack wars, live auctions, parties, in the store.
I want to set up boxes of 25¢ singles for people to go through like they do at card shows..
Make the customers feel they are getting a bargain on singles

I will still have my online website selling new baseball cards.
Would also run a card show that's close to my store and get the kids involved in cards somehow.

Just need to get the finances in order and its a go...

Good luck to you if you decide to open a store

spahnandsain

Aug 11, 2008
Conover NC
tramers said:
i did the displays for one local shop for years we traded unopened boxes for stars . when he closed i got all the older cards inventory mostly 83/89 . Location and rent are the main factors for staying in business . no shops within 30 miles of me , with only a minor league baseball team near . anything over $3.00 would be hard to sell to kids and walk in $$$ people are dealing on the NET .
good luck and when i win lottery i'll travel not sitting in a store :lol: :lol:

Great thread interesting stuff.

Barry,where was this shop? Extra innings,Davids?

Members online

Latest posts