Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors: How's 2011 going for you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Bagwell collection is going ahead full steam. But its been weird. Like yesterday, I was bidding on two items. One was a patch #'d to /25 out of Throwback Threads Throwback Collection and the other was a random Sweet Spot Sweet Sticks bat piece #'d to /199. I end up winning the Patch for a little over $6. I lost the sweetspot gu bat for $9 and some change. Don't know what the hell was going on there but whatever. Then today I lose a 2006 Upper Deck #'d to /150 for $3 and some change but I win a studio portrait #'d to /30 for $1.99 and free shipping. Go figure.

In any case, I have really buckled down and started getting some nice stuff knocked off my list. At minimal cost too. I think once I reach 3,000 different Bagwells, I am going to focus some more on my Stackhouse collection. I'll still snag Bagwells but I need to beef up my Stack collection badly.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
nothing in 2011 product for me to worry about.. but I have picked up some seriously landmark cards for my collection since the new year turned. If the year ended tomorrow I would be more than happy with what I picked up overall.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
2011 is going great. 2010 Exquisite Football is giving me some of the best Manning University of Tennessee cards produced IMHO.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
i have decided to change my collection goals. Instead of going after the most complete collection, I have decided to go after the PSA most finest collection. I will let you kow how well it is going 5 years from now.

AK11

May 24, 2010
My player collection is non-baseball, but it is going pretty good so far in 2011. I have landed some nice cards. Hit number 180 in total number of cards today. Even though I buy select other cards, most of my funds nowadays focus on my player collection. Hoping to hit the 200 mark sometime this summer. It's interesting because a couple years ago I would have said I would never player collect, but a web site and a focus later, here I am. I have nearly doubled my collection since I was featured in Beckett as a super collector. Not many player collectors get featured in Beckett with less than 100 cards like I did. It has given me a new interest in the hobby where before I had just been completely all over the place. Now I focus more on my pc and certain players only when I run my daily ebay searches.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Trying to get the Latos 2011 Topps Jumbo patch and a 08 blue refractor auto. A few have popped up on Ebay but a little too pricey. Outside of that, it's been good. Got all three Topps gold borders signed (sig), picked up Heritage green tint, Topps sparkle and black /60, got his debut ticket stub signed (thanks sdsportsfan), picked up some other inserts (thanks Rich), got his Heritage base card signed at spring training.

Was really hoping Latos would have an auto in Ginter this year but I'm sure he'll be in the base set for the first time this year, looking forward to going after the parallels and what not.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Very happy to hear that 2011 has been going well for so many of you. 2011 has been great for me. I have had a lot of great pick ups. I was just showing what I have picked up in 2011 releases.

I started the year with 7 1/1s and have increased that total to 16. One of my goals was to reach 150 different game used cards and I am up to 140 and counting. I've been reaching my goals and adding a lot of great stuff to my collection. This is the best collecting start I've had to a year in awhile. :D

Good luck to everyone!

Greg- Thank you! I just wish I had been smart enough to do this every season so that my collection would be much more complete instead of constantly backbuilding. :lol:

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Let me first say that I shouldn't gripe. I've been very lucky overall.

I was pleased when Vizquel was included in 2011 Topps, and have picked up what I've could. No 1/1's have shown up as far as I know. However I think I've only added 1 card since the fall that wasn't a new release. Again, with only 40 non-1/1's on my want list, I shouldn't complain.

Same situation with my Charles Nagy and John McDonald collections. Missing 7 Nagy's and 1 McDonald. Nothing added in over a year. :(

I have zero interest in collecting other players, so I've turned to collecting ticket stubs of games Omar has played in. They're tough to find and often expensive, but it's great fun to chart all the games out and start checking things off a list again.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
All of my players are retired so any time they are included in a current release, it's a plus.

Jim Rice has some cards in 2011 Tribute. I have them all except the one's #'d to 5 & 1. None have been listed.
Dave Kingman hasn't had a card since 2005
Lee Smith had a 2009 Topps auto and that's it.
Dave Parker had some 2010 Panini that I am working on.
Rob Dibble hasn't had a card issued since 2005.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:
Bagwell collection is going ahead full steam. But its been weird. Like yesterday, I was bidding on two items. One was a patch #'d to /25 out of Throwback Threads Throwback Collection and the other was a random Sweet Spot Sweet Sticks bat piece #'d to /199. I end up winning the Patch for a little over $6. I lost the sweetspot gu bat for $9 and some change. Don't know what the hell was going on there but whatever. Then today I lose a 2006 Upper Deck #'d to /150 for $3 and some change but I win a studio portrait #'d to /30 for $1.99 and free shipping. Go figure.

In any case, I have really buckled down and started getting some nice stuff knocked off my list. At minimal cost too. I think once I reach 3,000 different Bagwells, I am going to focus some more on my Stackhouse collection. I'll still snag Bagwells but I need to beef up my Stack collection badly.

This sort of stuff happens to me alot. I've noticed the the sweet spot set in particular is a more popular GU set than average so the prices are always higher. I picked up the platinum jersey version of posada /45 for $15 DLVD but the one's #/199 seem to always get $8-$12 DLVD. In comparison, I picked up an 04 SP Game patch 2-color /50 for $6.5 and a handful of other patches all under 10. Go figure.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
David Wright: 2011 is going great, thanks to the generosity of other collectors. In the past month two autographs, one game-used, and several base/inserts have been added. Most of the bigger pieces were from freebies, but many of the base and inserts came via trade.

Sammy Sosa: Not going so well. Due to a lack of organization I am (for the most part) abandoning efforts to add base or inserts. However, I am waiting on a 2001 UD Gold Glove batting glove GU from a trade, which leaves only two oddball GU pieces to get (fielding glove and stadium dirt).

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Well, I originally started this talking about 2011 cards for Adam Dunn, but general collecting is much better. It's nice having everyone talking about their goals, where they're at, and how's its going.

2011 has continued to improve for me today. A fellow board member, Darren (darrend505), helped me land the last Chris Sabo game used card I needed. Sabo only has 4 game used, but they don't show up very often. I'm guessing because they're in people's junk boxes. Anyway, now I have all 4! I'm pretty stoked to have that done. This continues to be a great year for my collection(s).

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Its been up and down. I Was able to make a few trades to get some Bagwells I didnt have yet, and ebay helped in that department as well. I was stickin to the dollar BIN's and trying to find sellers with multiple cards I need to save on shipping. But now money's tight so if I cant trade for em, I cant get em.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Bought out a fellow Henderson collector at the end of last year, and made killing selling tough 90's inserts and tough early 00's in the beginning of the year. Work has been on and off over the last few years, so I found a new job that I start on Monday. It is a $30+ hour paycut, and 6 days a week mandatory, but its closer to home. Not sure how I am going to pull this one off financially, but I am sick of being laid off for very long periods of time. That said, the rest of 2011 & beyond is officially going to be bad for my Henderson collection.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
My Gonzalez collection is going good, now that a super collector has been selling off his great collection. i have added 50+ cards i needed to push me over 4400 unique.it has been very pricey though. the competition has been outragious.i did win 10 04 Leaf Exhibits 2nd edition,though i did get out bid on one that went for $32. he is still adding cards we have never seen. it has been exhilarating!
icon_e_biggrin.gif

p.s.
Here is one i lost,not even close.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &viewitem=

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I've been staying more on top of new releases as well. Going for copies of most cards, less sticker autos. Finished Gypsy Queen, minus the plates. Gotten copies of most Topps Series 1 and 2 cards; I think my biggest disappointment is knowing I won't be able to afford the canary diamond parallel when it gets pulled. I haven't ever owned a 1 of 1, except for plates, and it's one of the few newer 1 of 1s I'd want to have in my collection.

My backlogged Thomas collection has seen HUGE gains...major, major pickups.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I have been able to pick up all the different Gypsy Queen mini's for Morneau and I have brought my total 1/1 count to 13 with one more incoming. As far as Puckett is concern I have actually started making formalized want lists for the first time and it is keeping me much more focused. I am now up to 1217 different(beckett checklist) with 7 more incoming.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Lately... not much. I guess that's how it goes with all my guys retired and Topps only pumping out Eddie Murray stuff

Members online

Latest posts