Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

R.I.P. Bruce Sutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
Sad news. One of the greatest relief pitchers of all-time - and the man who popularized the split-finger pitch in the 1980s. Fun player to watch back in the day.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Very sad news. R.I.P. Mr. Sutter.
I remember a game that Sutter saved with a strikeout when he was a Cub, I cannot recall the situation of the game, but Jack Brickhouse was calling the game Sutter struck out the last batter for the Cubs win. Brickhouse screamed "OH WHAT A MAN!" I googled it but nothing showed up. The game was on WGN. It was a game on the weekend I believe because my brother in law was watching the game with me. We still bring it up to this day. What a great memory.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am always a little surprised when I hear about more modern guys dying, but not everyone will have the opportunity at a nice long lifespan. And its also easy to forget that some of them were not that much older than me as I got older too and of course now, I am as old or older than most of the guys who played in the 90s or later.

Sutter was 69. He has 16 years on me, but that is still pretty young.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I am always a little surprised when I hear about more modern guys dying, but not everyone will have the opportunity at a nice long lifespan. And its also easy to forget that some of them were not that much older than me as I got older too and of course now, I am as old or older than most of the guys who played in the 90s or later.

Sutter was 69. He has 16 years on me, but that is still pretty young.
im right there with you at 52 but imagine when you were 18.. 52 was VERY old lol

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
im right there with you at 52 but imagine when you were 18.. 52 was VERY old lol
Definitely felt a lot farther away, although my dad was almost 42 when I was born, so he was in his mid 50s when I was a teen. He was always older than my friends dads, but he didn't seem ancient to me at the time.

Along those same lines, saying 69 is young sounds funny to just about anyone not as old or older, but when people are routinely living into their late 80s and 90s, 69 is way too soon!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Always loved his 81 Topps card. Then by the traded series, he shows up with his trademark beard. This may have been the first appearance on cardboard.

s-l1600.pngs-l1600-1.png

Members online

Latest posts