Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Recent slab pickups / grading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Popped out a few grading subs and some eBay sales stuff then had to handle a work related training session back and then gonna nap.

A quick scan of a few stragglers from 2005 Leather and Lumber by Donruss. A lot of insert items and a few game used i haven't slabbed much of these for some reason a lot are sitting here in a box. Will get to them when I can. Believe I subbed these as they had Pujols on them at the time and figured best get them before prices went up over time. The Gold # to 50 was a thrown in on a value level sub. I don't believe I purchased many boxes of these during 2005 range, maybe one or two, and probably wasn't thrilled with the boxes as I don't think I set any aside. Return on Investment (ROI) I remember wasn't worth it, prices were a tad high for base and high numbered insert cards. I also was let down as the Donruss Leather and Lace series was much better put together in 2000 in football and I thought this would be on that level.

Info on the set is located here 2005 LEATHER AND LUMBER

full

full

full

Obviously will be getting rid of the dupe jersey piece as I pare down the slabs
full

The next series is the 2005 Leaf Sportscasters which I updated about 18 months ago ( see start of posts in 2018/19)
I haven't slabbed any new ones yet, so I referred my insurance lady there if anyone wants to check it out just look further back. I haven't even started slabbing the 2005 Leaf Polo Grounds so those won't be shown yet either

I'm sure more than a few people therefore will look forward to the 2005 Leaf Limited madness. Will start scanning after I nap. Will be posting all night if anyone's awake just keep checking in later for updated posts.

Happy New Years if you sleep 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
We have come to one of my favorite sets- the mere mention of " 2005 Leaf Limited " box break and my first question is always " Hey you got a box I can buy ? " I remember when these came out I'd pick up boxes for about $75 or so. Then it was $85, then $100 and I realized people loved these boxes. I am certain I have 1 or 2 individual boxes still in storage. Not sure on master boxes though.This set continued the DLP last year production tradition of multiple 1/1 on items. A breakdown of Clemens items reveals the below

Card 1- Astros (H) - 36 cards total, of that 30 are 1/1, so 6 cards are available- 1 base and 5 inserts
Card 2- Astros (A) - 24 cards total,of that 19 are 1/1, so 5 cards available- 1 base and 4 inserts
Card 169- Red Sox ( Traded)- 23 cards total, of that 15 are 1/1, so 8 cards available- 1 base and 7 inserts

With the exception of the base cards- which I own but haven't slabbed yet and are always last when I slab- I am COMPLETE for this series. I was lucky to get all the inserts plus all the buttons- had help from Amy (Aprimo- god I miss her) on one button item and Kevin on another one. Its one of the few series I have actually completed, plus been able to a few mixed in 1/1 items. Very rare for me to complete a DLP series.

Info on the set can be found here at 2005 LEAF LIMITED

To start off here are the # 1 Astros Home versions of Clemens 2005 Leaf Limited
Once again the base is not slabbed yet but here are the other 5 cards-- plus two Platinum 1/1 items I was able to snag
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Before I go show the # 2 Leaf Limited Astros Away I am not complete on this set sadly I misjudged. I am missing the #6 Matching Numbers Prime Will Clark / Roger Clemens # to /5 item
Doubt I'll be able to snag that one Will Clark completist collectors are worse than Clemens I'd have to pack pull it
I looked for my base # to 50 slab can't seem to locate it either but I do own one ( actually owned two but gifted one years ago)
Here's the # 2 Astros Away versions sans the Base unslabbed item and missing #6 Matching Numbers (/50) item
full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Last up will be the 2005 Leaf Limited #169 Red Sox items from this series
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Probably will take me a couple days to organize the next series ( 2005 Leaf Certified Materials) so will be some time before the next posts

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Figures that I close out the Leaf Limited scans and turn to the LCM scans that I'd locate the missing # 6 Matching Numbers slab in the LCM pile- see below for the final 2005 Leaf Limited slab

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
We have arrived at another great series- 2005 Leaf Certified Materials . I bought tons of these boxes- probably have a case or more in storage. Just loved these. All sorts of interesting side cuts, a follow up to the standard Fabric of the Game subset that was so popular, autos up the *****- the set had it all. Mirror cards in all variety of colors- works for me !!

I started looking into the preview inserts after seeing them appear in 2005 Leaf boxes. Recently I sent the below to Beckett's OPG staff as their preview set "info" contains- wait for it- no info on the set. See pic below that shows the Preview Set info

full

Think I made it as concise and short as I could:

Inserted into 2005 Leaf boxes this 15 card base set previewed 2005 Leaf Certified Materials. Available in Mirror Blue, Gold, and Red serial numbered variations.

Think that about sums up the Previews set. It was just a precursor to what was about to come- a flood of colors and card variations along typical DLP lines. With primer years coming in 2003 and 2004 we knew what to expect and were just waiting for the card designs. All the cards had an LC precursor then the card number. My guy Clemens was LC13.

Below are the 3 color mirror variations for the preview set ( base card of course not yet slabbed)
I'll be scanning the first few cards for card # 129 Astros after I finish my "honey do " list this am

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
First up for Clemens in the 2005 Leaf Certified Materials subset will be his # 129 Astros versions
There are 23 cards listed = 12 total 1/1 cards for #129 leaving 11 other cards needed to complete
I have the base just haven't slabbed it yet. Showing 9 below so just missing his base Emerald card #/5 to finish
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Up next is the 2005 Leaf Certified Materials # 185 Yankees versions for Clemens
There are 23 cards listed, a total of 12 are 1/1, so that leaves 11 other cards needed to complete
I have the base haven't slabbed , showing 8 below, so I need just the 2 Emerald base & jersey #/5 versions to finish
As you can see the Mirror Blue is pretty dinged up never went back and got another version
I'll do more tomorrow heading to sleep before work

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
I'm just amazed how many different cards you have in your collection @jeffv96masters. Even cards I never knew existed. I really like coming to this thread and seeing what else you post up.

Appreciate the compliment @Shaggy :sneaky: Best part of it is the enjoyment of sharing the hobby with others while attempting to work on a certain players PC . Help from other hobbyists has played a big part in amassing this PC of Rodger. Had a lot of help from folks and repay it forward when and where I can. At least 10 board members have pitched in over the years ,plus countless others who are not on message boards but deal with me thru hobby channels elsewhere or get referred to me.

Within the 2005 Leaf Certified Materials set was a small subset called the "Gold Team". It choose 25 players who were key players on their teams many of whom were All Stars in 2004. I was a little perplexed figuring out why Lyle Overbay was chosen instead of Carl Crawford, but whatever, maybe someone who followed the team back then can explain why. It includes a mirror version of the base cards, plus two game used versions- a base jersey and a prime jersey. It also includes very rare # to 5 autographed variations with jersey pieces. Players jersey pieces vary for whatever reason, but all of the Prime pieces are # to 25 except Randy Johnson (5) and Greg Maddux(10).

I have the base slabbed for some reason ( musta wanted the mirror and instead sent the base card) along with the jersey and prime piece. Have never seen the autograph go up but may have missed it having not searched in 5 years for any Clemens. One of these years when I care enough will try and upgrade my BGS 8 game jersey and get my Mirror base in.

FYI the OPG guys updated the 2005 LCM Previews now ( they changed my wording slightly) but at least that set info is in there now !!

I need to locate one of my 2005 LCM boxes in storage and crack one as I need to look at the odds of pulling certain items and figure something out on this series. My brains working overtime on a few thoughts.
full

full

full

I'll start showing off the FABRIC OF THE GAME inserts in just a few minutes handling medical stuff right now

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
We begin with the variations of the 2005 Leaf Certified Fabric of the Game series. As annoying a subseries as it gets. So many variations its tough to keep with them all and finding some is near impossible they pop up so rarely. I had help from another Clemens collector on these (Dave) who used to concentrate on just game used Clemens. He's online on eBay, but not here, has a wife and son ( may now have more kids) and sold off to concentrate on his family. Most of these came from his PC thankfully as I was wasting funds elsewhere myself. Took me 2 years of payments to get all he had game used cards wise from him back in 2009/10 range. As we journey back I'll acknowledge his help as I do everyone who has helped.

The four Clemens variations from this series are:

131 - Astros
132- Yankees
133- Red Sox
179- Dual with Albert Pujols

Starting off with the Astros series, the card FG131 are the hardest to locate. Many are # 25 or less unlike the other 3 variations. Lucky for me Dave did most of the buying and saved me the hassle of looking. I haven't had time in 5 years or more but will use 2021 to maybe see what holes I have and see if I can locate and complete the sub series of each. Many also have 1/1 items

Part 1 = ASTROS variations Card #FG131. The list shows 10 variations, of which 5 are 1/1 labeled, so just 5 are available and I have all 5. They were a bear to complete all are # 25 or less. I happen to win his jersey # jersey number (22/22) which is cool !! Maybe one day will try and add a 1/1 if any appear would be cool to own just 1 for the Astros
I tend to lose track of what I own. I seem to have 2 spare Position not slabbed # to 25 versions should someone need one.
full

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Part 2- YANKEES variations card #FG132 . The list shows 12 variations on this one, of which 6 are 1/1 labeled, leaves 6 to collect. I have 4 of the variations including the Prime # to 5, missing his Jersey # to 22 and his Stats version # to 5 Yanks versions
I'm sure its been on eBay I just haven't been on when its been there or seen it yet.
Was also able thru the help of Kevin @Pinbreaker to add a 1/1 from this variation to the PC
Anyone owns the Stats # to 5 , or Jersey # to 22 , see me will make it worth your while- I always pay well

full

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Part 3- Red Sox variations card #FG133. The list shows 12 variations on this one, of which 6 are 1/1 labeled, leaves 6 to collect. I have 4 variations including the Prime # to 25 which is hard to locate. Missing just the Jersey # to 21 and Stats #5 variations. Like the 131 version would love to add one of the 1/1 auto variations one day
full

full

full

full

Last , but not least, is the 179 Clemens/Pujols dual variations. List has 6 variations so just the Prime # to 5 will be difficult. Slabbed just 2 so far ,the Base and Stats, I will need to see what raw I have and pick the rest up.
Should not be too difficult lots available supposedly ( 50 or 100)
full

full

Heading to sleep tomorrow will try and get the next set done by then ( 2005 Leaf Century)

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
A few miscellaneous scanned slabs out of the way before I do the next series of cards ( 2005 Leaf Century Collection)
I'll always slab low serial # or die cuts I usually like getting protected quickly= plus its his Red Sox uni # as well
The Auto's I'll always slab even if I haven't started the series hence the showcase, and that Fleer Platinum was an ebay buy
full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
One of the more interesting sets that came out in 2005 was one put forth by the gurus at DLP called 2005 Leaf Century Baseball. It put stamps in with baseball cards- sort of combining two hobbies into one, similar to future Topps Coin insert subsets. I remember breaking a few boxes of them, and while intrigued by the cards, not thrilled with ROI so I more than likely don't have any buried in storage. I did like the stamp and card combos however and bought quite a few . I also appreciated the Post marks sub series, so I'd pluck stuff from eBay I liked. Not sure if it was just my local dealer or not, but we didn't see very many boxes in my area of CT at that time. They became progressively harder to locate, and frankly sold then at prices not even worth buying at , as nothing could be pulled that recouped even close to 1/4 of the purchase price. Anyone who held on to these as future investment - more power to you for holding off.

Info on the set can be found here 2005 LEAF CENTURY

As usual with help from @Pinbreaker on the 1/1 Auto Postmark card see below for what I have slabbed for Clemens
I was able to grab his Timelines Threads Jsy Number when it first came out - slabbed it pretty quick
The rest I picked up slowly along the way

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Moving along in the inventory is the 2005 FLAIR. Seem to have lot my mind and combined two posts into one. Most of these I picked up well after the fact and never purchased any boxes. So I can talk little baout them other than I picked them up once again from my fellow Clemens collector Dave in TX.

Info on this set can be found here 2005 FLAIR

Pics below as always now that my registry was updated
full

full

full

full

full

full

I also found a dual jersey dupe item which I'll be selling off
full

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
OK let me see if I can get the post right this time 🤪 geesh I got a lot going on upstairs in the skull and none of its good

Moving along in the inventory is the 2005 Fleer Authentix series. I always had a sweet spot for Authentix as I thought the ticket stub look was a nice change of pace. Prior years had some cool designs as well ,and boxes were very cheap compared to other series. Cards from this series are tough to come by the series came out only months before Fleers Bankruptcy filing and a limited supply of boxes went out.

Of concern was something that occurred in 2007 when a bunch of Standing Room only cards started popping up. As it was my last card I needed in the base series, I was perplexed as to why I'd seen other non serial numbered Clemens copies sold of them. They were 'supposed" to be #/10 labeled- then I realized that I needed to check the inventory list from the Fleer Bankruptcy Auctions. I discovered they were 'replacement' stock and therefore "missing serial number" items that while they were authentic and produced by Fleer , they were not supposed to see the secondary market. The hobby eventually has come to know them for what they are, but the concern was always there, and as we now know, Ari sold everything he bought out on to the secondary market. I also have a bunch of other cool stuff I have from that auction.

Each card has a base item and then a jersey counterpart with the exception of the SRO jersey items which are basically 1/1 Patch versions. I haven't looked at a checklist in forever but will see what I still need to slab from this series. Quite a few low # patches and dual cards.

Info can be found as always here 2005 FLEER AUTHENTIX
(I've already advised that site they don't have the checklist correct = they are missing the Row 1 and 2 series )

Pics below as always now that my registry was updated
I have both the white and grey variations of the General Admin jersey, and a spare dupe Mezzanine jersey I'll be selling off
One of these days will upgrade the white version. The general admin base card is just a non serial number base card so its not slabbed yet
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Spare mezzanine is below
full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Going to be jumping all over the place today as I have numerous items on the agenda and inventory girls been told what a priority they'll be.
Skipped over the Leaf Home/Away set as I have slabbed just 1 of the 4 jerseys so far will update that series later when I take a better inventory. I also haven't sent my 2005 HEB set in yet as they are all base cards.

Below is what's immediately apparent from a quick inventory of the Leaf Home/Away series I took yesterday of the few boxes I have here ( mostly base cards and a few jerseys). These were inserts in the Leaf boxes and are tougher than you'd think - especially the Patch versions # to 50.
full

Below is what I have for raw that need to be slabbed think my Road patch is somewhere

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Which now brings us to the 2005 Finest series - a personal favorite !!

In 2005 Finest put out what is arguably one of the most popular Finest sets of the 2000's, judging by how many people like to buy these boxes. I liked the designs and snatched up what I was able , when I was able, and missed out on a few that I still probably need to locate (I believe I need both a Green Xfractor and a Gold Xfractor to finish up). Not sure where my Green Refractor is but I do believe I own one. I have at least one box in storage but if you've ever seen my box break thread I buy any years Finest boxes for my Garciaparra/Clemens needs.

Love this set so much I buy dupes of colors when I need to try and upgrade. I haven't slabbed the base or base refractor yet as expected. Oh- and if you own colors- I've been known to pay almost double Beckett's HI book value. Just saying , as some colors / variations I know are difficult to pull ,and frankly their OPG staff hasn't update the pricing in years. And Finest is my favorite all time series. Not sure if I cracked a box yet in my box break section ( I know I did 2006/07) but will see what I have in storage for 2005.

Info on the set can be found here 2005 FINEST

My copies I have slabbed already are below . Slabbed the Xfractor to top an order off don't usually send base stuff in
I have a Green refractor I need to get in

full

full

full

full

full

Have to attend to more phone calls and email follow ups , but will post some more soon

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Now this next series I'm gonna show comes with a qualifier-- 2005 Etopps. I say "qualifier" as there is a lot of misinformation, lack of info, or just plain lack of "public" release of info until well after the fact- a Topps trademark method of taking care of the "in" crowd before the general masses. I'll say very little about it except this- this isn't all I own, and until I get all my paperwork gathered in one place, and in one room, I can't talk about any of the "etopps conventions" that frankly were "gatherings" - not conventions in the traditional sense of that word.

What I currently have slabbed for 2005 is below. Technically only the 2005 Etopps #80 is considered part of 2005- the other two for registry purposes are back in the years of issue ( 2003 & 2004 respectively). Although all 3 state the 2005 Etopps production and rightly so. A word of warning if your thinking of buying a 2005 Etopps Chicago 1/1 and you weren't present at the National these were released at - there are fakes around of the 1/1 versions, and they are easy for an advanced Etopps collector to determine. No hints just know it does take some in person looking at under magnification.

On my 2004 version below you'll notice that lint inside- been there since slabbing after the 2006 National. A mere 15 days later after I purchased them in Anaheim. Suffice to say they were in their original holders with original paperwork included. If it doesn't have the original paperwork, I better trust my seller, otherwise I don't buy it.

Without further comment the base and the two 1/1 versions. Like I said- I own more just can't discuss Etopps stuff until I have all my paperwork together.

Oh and you'll notice few websites actually know a lot about them- wonder why ??
BTW I do buy paperwork associated with the Etopps programs, if you own any I do buy them for recording purposes of my PC. What I'm looking for in particular was the invitations right now and the Etopps papers we got when we were there in the conference gathering. I lost my backup in my move out here in 2008
full

full

full

Members online

Latest posts