Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Recent slab pickups / grading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Epson V300 photo scanner
There is a little ACS2 work involved.30 seconds worth. Cost 120 had a 20% sale so net was 104 after taxes.

My newer system I'm saving for won't even require scanning. Will advise on that later. Uses digital recognition tech. Sadly my current Pc is too old and won't be compatible. Hence the saving

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
OK folks way behind on scans but we are now into the 2004 Prime Cuts series. Believe I am guilty as all hell in "credit card abuse" when it came to this series. I may have outspent the GDP of some 3rd world countries back then on this one series alone.Love, love, loved the series- and alternately hated it. Too many subsets for me to keep track of my guy and holy crap did people overpay to own one. There are people who will never recoup their purchase prices.

I just happen to have a few of the hard cases boxes they came in. Initially they were unsealed with cheezy paper wraps- and so many complaints poured in about "opened" product. Distributors opening cases, getting the super big hits, then sliding the cheezy wrap on the boxes again, and selling as 'sealed". So DLP started cellophane wrapping.
No more distributor shenanigans. If I saw no wrap- no buy, plain and simple.

There are tons of great cards inside, lots of game used and autos- it was just a major bonanza for DLP and they literally had money pouring in on this series. So much money poured in they created 2004 Prime Cuts II.

Info on the series can be found here 2004 PRIME CUTS

Below is a pic of what you would see after taking the cellophane wrapping off. They are nice hard cases, my best "guess" is they are made of layered veneer wood. Lightweight but extremely sturdy. Could be wrong = it's just how it feels to me. Nice velvety feeling interior as well. Obviously the card is not original to that case, but its just an example of what you'd see. I think I have 2 or 3 here in house and a bunch more in storage
I use them sometimes on a super expensive card I sell ,if I don't want it banged up en route.

I'll show some pics on the first few card numbers soon as I get done scanning the first 6-8 of them
>
>
full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
OK to start in on the 2004 PRIME CUTS slabs. Took me a week to get the time as its not easy doing this inventory.
One thing about inventories- you can look at something 20 times and just bypass it and move on.
When you actually have to do an inventory where it matters what you locate-- you discover you have something you did not know you have
And your missing something you thought you had !!
So yep- that's exactly what I've encountered in the first 3 cards in this series. You'll see what I mean in a minute

At various points in time I tried upgrading some of the lesser graded cards. Some I had success and others- well not so much

Up first will be the 2004 Prime Cuts # 1 Yankees = there are a total of 26 cards, 7 most people can collect, the other 19 are 1/1
Based on my inventory I have 6 of the 7 cards commonly available
I have the Base/949 and Century/100 cards still to slab - only card besides a 1/1 example I am missing is the Century Gold/10

I have not looked at Clemens cards in 5 years and it will be a few more before I can start looking again
Been getting storage units handled as I approach retirement the priority is shifting towards relaxing and getting it down
Let's just say I've paid $1000+ a month in storage fees for 15 years and that's gonna end when I retire soon

full

full

full

full

And the dupes I've accumulated either buy buying to upgrade or trying to upgrade an item - going in my resale pile once I get that far
Have about 20 dupe cards so far I've come across that I have to list and get rid of.

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
So the 2nd card is where I just discovered I have the wrong label on a card after staring at said cards 4 consecutive inventories and not noticing. We are now at the 2004 PRIME CUTS # 6 CLEMENS / SCHMIDT dual items = has a total of 6 cards, 5 people can collect, the last is a 1/1 Proof item

For years thought I had the Dual Materials Base, Combo, Matl Signature and Signature cards and was just missing his Material Prime Dual. Except that is not the case. I own the Prime Material card- I am missing the Material Combo base item with the generic plain jerseys. Not only were the patches staring me in the face- the label on the card patches front/back says PRIME , and here I am looking right over that fact. So now I have to send the slabbed item back to be correctly labeled, and we can move on and search for the Material Combo generic item # to 19

Just a thought about an add in on the dual signature item- the "Rocket " nickname add in. The card was sealed when I bought it so Beckett sealed as such. I have yet to to see another Clemens dual or individual base Prime Cuts item had that add in- should have been on one of the 1/1 labels. Just a thought. Years back when I searched his stuff every day for 10 years- never saw another. Observation that says a lot to me

It's always a battle also whenever I see it on eBay because I have to battle fellow Clemens guys PLUS the Schmidt collectors who are just as rabid
Always appreciative when I can afford to add another.
>
>
The second card down that is labeled Material Combos is actually the Material Prime mislabel that is being sent back (note that both patches say PRIME)
>
>

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
@jkeys1313 thanks! It's actually been sitting in a pile as I'm trying to complete a PSA run of 1990's Finest sets and that was supposed to go for crossover ages ago. Just never got around to it 3 years later :rolleyes:

Took me another few days of sorting to find the next 3-4 items I need to scan so I'll try and get more done this week - no promises. Next up is the 2004 Prime Cuts Timelines # TL9 Nolan Ryan/Roger Clemens series of items that show items of both players. Like the above Schmidt/ Clemens dual items it had a Base Materials, Materials Combo, Material Prime, a Signature and a Material Signature item plus obligatory 1/1

And just like the above dual items- I just discovered one of them is mislabeled- once again the Material Prime is staring me in the face. So a 2nd card heading back for label correction and now I have to locate the missing base Combo card I need once again

If you've encountered Ryan collectors they are a rabid bunch. Think the Dual prime piece cost me $125 and the Signature Dual $175
Not cheap to say the least. Overpaid on the Prime piece but think I overpaid because it was a Prime piece
I just never paid attention to the mislabel ( of course) until now.

Below are the two I found think I have one more buried somewhere just couldn't locate it. So for now I need 3 pieces
First one is the Prime Piece I need to get relabeled correctly
>
>
full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Next up on the run is 2004 PRIME CUTS II # 22 ROGER CLEMENS ASTROS version. These came out in the Prime Cuts II run of materials. There are 16 cards, 10 that you can collect, the other 6 are 1/1. As usual I lose track of what I own and have dupes here as well. Of the ones I am missing the two numbered to 5 items ( Material Combo Primes both- two variations) will be tough to locate. Even if I do locate any, I will need to pay close attention to them, as the variations are tough to discern

Below are the 6 variations I do have. Strangely I slabbed a base card- not sure why I did that
Generally when I do bulks its always autos, sigs, serial # , then hard to locate inserts, and base absolutely last
Based on the slab serial # and the fact my Signature Gold was sent in at the same time - order topper

Below are the Base # 481/949, the Century Silver # 21/50, Two Material Combos (# 9/22 and #14/22),
the Material Number # 6/10, the Material Prime # 5/5, and Century Gold Sig # 1/5
Pretty sure I own the Silver Auto /10 just cant locate it yet
>
>
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Been a couple weeks since I posted some stuff been doing treatments ( on me this time)
Anyways some recent PSA stuff back and working on BGS slab as well

The 4 from the most recent economy PSA sub back from Sept 2020 finally.
Will comment on each above. Three are PC items the Heads Update Blue goes you know where

Expected an 8 on this thick Pacific Blue and got it- normal on thick cards
>
>
>
full

Expected an 8 on this retail Brady and got it- PC item
>
>
>
full

Expected a 9 on this Piazza and got it. These come sealed so generally in great shape. Already have his Bat piece Refractor slabbed also as well that one also got a 9
>
>
>
full

This was the pleasant upgrade surprise. I "thought" it looked great but based on past experiences expected the dreaded 8.5 or 8. So coming back slightly higher Mint 9- gravy. PC item anyways :sneaky:

Touch upper right corner white prevented higher. And no that bottom right corner isn't white - shows all blue. It is white because of my camera angle FYI ( before anyone thinks they messed up at PSA its the CAMERA angle I used.
I checked under a 10X loupe soon as I saw my scan)
>
>
>

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
So for the football junkies from a box that was sent to me that I broke and got to keep some stuff
Woulda sent to PSA but not with economy rate at $50 a pop so BGS it is and I see them back by the season :rolleyes::cautious:

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Have to scan a few for inventory girl cause I started scanning again so before I show more new slabs back here we go again on the inventory scans. We are now up to the 2004 Prime Cuts # 36 Red Sox Roger Clemens scans

There are 9 total cards, 7 you can collect, the other two are 1/1 items

Scans below. Like usual found some dupes I'll be parting with
I have the Base, Century to be slabbed, Material, Material Combo,Signature and Signature Prime Material
I have 5 of the 7 slabbed, the Century is in line, just need to find a Century Gold/25 to wrap things up

full

full

full

full

full

>
>
>
I left the dupe Combo in its slab because it won't Gem so why bother taking out
And the base dupe I just cannot believe how much of a rush I must have been in to miss that obvious a surface flaw

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
So back in January when I did the 2005 Artifacts inventory noticed my base NL Artifacts was in a Blue slab for some reason. Found one of my jersey dupes and sent in just came back so now I can sell the base Blue slabbed item.

OLD ONE
====
full

NEW ONE
=========
full

Also got a few new BGS Prime Cuts slabs back in 2021 I'll mix in since I am updating the 2004 Prime Cuts
Registry crapped out tonite so I'll scan and update when it comes back up.
Back when I did the 2005 prime Cuts noticed I hadn't sent in any # 2 Astros stuff yet.
Popped in a few on the memorabilia items . Did get one surprise back- a little shocked but hey missing stuff happens when your rushed

The first is the base Material Jersey back graded as expected. The second was the surprise. The issue was so subtle that even an initial review couldn't find it. Only when I turne dit on an angle did I see what they saw. On the right #2 in 22 a crease so subtle it follows the opening
Doesn't look like much but its obvious at an angle and is a crease hence the 6.5 grade is accurate.
Will just be a filler until I find another #2 jersey number card to upgrade it with.

full

full

On this next one its a dupe. I already have a Mint 9 so I'll need to review both and see which I want to keep and sell of the other one.
Would love to hear how others would handle- which would you want in your PC? The 10/9/8.5/9 or the 9/9.5/9/9.5 ??? I already know which way I am leaning but would love outside thoughts to keep my perspective centered

OLD ONE
==========
full

NEW ONE
==========
full

Last but not least- I topped off the below item on the sub
This one now completes that #91 Material Combo Prime set of # to 5 items.
Knocked one of the harder ones off

OLD I HAD
=======
full

NEW ONE I ADDED
==============
full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
So Beckett registry is acting up like usual, but at least pics can upload ,so baby steps I keep reminding myself 😖

Next up on that list of 2004 items is the 2004 PRIME CUTS #37 ROGER CLEMENS BLUE JAYS versions
There are 6 total versions, again 4 you can collect, the other two are 1/1 labeled items
I have his Base/949 and Century/100 cards in line to be graded, as usual I need a Gold/25 version

Once again - the conundrum of which to keep. Already leaning on which to sell- would love of course to hear the sub/no sub debate others have themselves. I just got the no sub version back with some of the above slabs.

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
I have more I'm scanning now folks to post but here's a treat for slabbers whether you collect BGS, PSA, raw, whatever. You can share with whomever you like if they don't use FCB. Suffice to say will save flippers and buyers $$

Seller name is 2014bestservice
Memorial Day special COUPON code -- JMEMNEWBUY2021
Gives an additional 10% off the sellers discounted listings starting at 9pm PST on purchases of $50 or more
If you buy $50 total of the sellers items (some are already discounted) you get another 10% at checkout

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
A continuation of slabs I'm catching up scanning wise as I concentrate now on just core stuff til retirement

The Mac is a Pop 10 subbed so long ago the package I found it in had half an inch of dust on the top
>
>
full

>
>

Arod 2003 Finite First Class = same deal, same box with dust- still a Pop 1 all these years later
Reminds me of my buddy @agentjak and son every time I see a Finite card
>
>
full

>
>

This Boggs and one I used to own both have interesting stories. When you have some time look up the pop report
There are 250+ Gem 9.5 Boggs on Beckett's Pop report. Take some time and look at the sub grades
Not sure if its a matter of pride or irritation I subbed the "only' two with two 10's and two 9.5 subs ( the other is 5486648)
Sigh. Gave up trying for a Pristine after those two just couldn't get one even out of factory sets good enough.
Had to buy one already graded to get my BGS 10. Will need to locate it soon and divest myself
No longer doing a Boggs registry with either grading company so divesture it is
>
>
full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
A bunch more slab scans caught up as I go thru mountains of slabs. More to follow woke up early to scan stuff as I need to catch up as July I am taking my first time off work in a year plus.

The Mac 1997 Pinnacle Certified I have a few dozen to sub to both PSA/BGS whenever both re-open for bulks
I sold the Gem years ago and this was the Mint 9 I also had. Pop 1 just that Gem was higher of course not many got subbed
The Thomas 1997 SI # 148 is also a Pop 1- has a bit of slab damage from my move, and I haven't had time to re-slab it
The Mantle is a Pop 3 also held for someone who was registry building- apparently long ago they stopped , so slab is saying bye bye soon
full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
More slabs from the hoard scanned

Canseco Colla AS is a Pop 1 gem
Canesco Finest Milestones M19 is a Pop 1
The DC Comics Lex Luthor Powerstone is a Pop 1
The Jordan ,Gretzky, Montana ,Jackson Looney Tunes Toon World Act 1 Scene 3 is a Pop 5

If you have done any Impel Marketing 80-90's grading stuff- you know how hard it is to gem those
The Looney Tunes years ago a Jordan guy wanted slabbed I had to get the set updated
Becketts OPG staff was nice enough to do so . I bought a box pulled a few worthy enough
Canseco I used to have a decent size registry moved on years ago still finding slabs
full

full

full

full

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Scuzzzzzzzzzzze me.. what is that word there.. "RETIREMENT"!!

You showed me the way:sneaky: What it really means is I can quit the job I do to fund the wife's medical bills, and once the 100% medicare kicks in, go work a job I actually might like and want to do.

So two new scans. Went looking for my 2005 Bowman's Best Red from the series I posted (look at Jan 2021 post) and while looking for that card wound up kicking over my missing 2004 SP Game Used 300 win item AND the stack of missing 2005 Absolute low # items- that made me happy
:angel:
:blush:

I'll post those in a bit just scanned them gotta separate pics out
Here's the missing 2005 Red and an extra 2004 Prime Cuts Clemens/Schmidt Dual auto. Back when I "sometimes" would buy a dupe that kept clogging my search mechanisms up by showing all the time. Or to try an upgrade. This oen wouldn't upgrade what I have so kept it raw.
full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Another collector's post in the pickups thread reminded me to scan my 2005 Donruss Team Heroes set of slabs.
Have to locate my base Blue and slab it- have yet to see a Gold # to 10 pop up yet
Occasionally would box boxes of these just to see if I could pull my own # to 10 Gold Clemens no luck though
They were sold just to retail stores couldn't buy them through DLP

Info on the set can be found here 2005 DONRUSS TEAM HEROES

full

full

full

full

Members online

Latest posts