Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Recent slab pickups / grading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Next up is the Mirror Blue , Mirror Gold, and last the Mirror Emerald Yankees # 201 LCM variations
I need a base Blue and Bat variation . I do have a Bat , but it has surface issues so no silver slab or higher
Anyone has any of the cards I need = I pay upwards of high Beckett book for them

While I have the Gold Bat and jersey, I need the base Gold variation also. So 3 cards now on my 2022 want list to handle. Annoyingly- and I do say annoyingly, I own multiple 2005 versions of the Gold base ,and ZERO of the 201 Yankees 2004 versions

Gonna start buying Clemens again in 2022 after a 5 year hiatus (after 5 years of buying next to none) and plug some holes

While looking for the Gold and Blue- found a dupe Emerald. So I have two bats- no base Emerald. Now need 4 cards
That's why they say this is a never ending series.
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
When I did my 2005 LCM series I don't believe I properly explained the genesis behind the FOG series, so I'll do so in this years. The Roger Clemens 2004 LEAF CERTIFIED MATERIALS FABRIC OF THE GAME series had two variations associated with it. One was card 105 meant to celebrate his Red Sox years, the other card 106 meant to celebrate his Yankees years

Each item has variations, and those variations, while consistent, also have different levels of availability
Throughout the 2004 Leaf Certified Materials subsets DLP was fairly consistent with modern player card production levels. You will see numerous available items in the 50 or 100 card ranges that were fairly easy to pick up
Guys like Fred Lynn and Dave Winfield and certain types of Rickey Henderson team variations are examples of lower production runs. The pre-1980 players, and in particular the rare items ( think Ruth and Satchel Paige), all had low levels- some were 1/1 others numbered to 10 or less in most cases. This applied mainly to pre-1980 players stuff, but there are some modern guys like I said they kept low as well.

I'll make remarks on each before showing the two different Roger Clemens player variations

BA = base variations that were meant to symbolize the "bases". Not exactly cut like one, but close enough people got the point . Generally these had a production run of 100 each, although a stated above this can vary due to the player era involved , or in the availability of the jerseys "supposedly' involved. Most were numbered to 100, although numerous smaller levels of 3,5,10,25 and 50 are strewn throughout the series. Both Clemens have 100 produced

AL or NL = league designations meant to symbolize the American or National Leagues- self evident when seen. Most also had 100 total but like the base items could vary by player. Both Clemens variations have 100 produced

JN = Jersey Number - meant to show the players jersey number- cut to show the number and the production number "should" match the player number . For Clemens= 22 for Yankees, 21 Red Sox . We've all seen the really low ones. Quite a few vintage guys with these lower jersey numbers. One of the harder ones to get for player collectors. God forbid someone tries set building- can get prohibitively expensive but not impossible with a larger budget

JY = Jersey Year - for years was stumped looking at the cards and trying to figure this numbering system out when it struck me to actually READ my cards- that's when I noticed they used a "1990" Sox jersey- hence the 90 Sox pieces, and a 2002 Yankees jersey, which they probably decided to make 20 of instead of "02" since they had more available and it did match the start of the jsy year used . You have to look at the cards to know what which jersey year is celebrated of that player. They will not always match numbers wise, it might be a combo of something, or a cut off of a 4 digit year. Again for older jerseys- all over the place. So some consistent, some not

PS = Position and is meant to signify the players position- Clemens being a "P" for Pitcher. Most of these had a 50
produced but many had quite a bit less. Clemens had 50 of these produced of both variations

Reward = self evident- meant to celebrate a players "awards" or recognition of achievement. Most had 50 produced and again many were less including quite a few 1/1 items on modern guys. Again for Clemens 50 total each, his Red Sox Rewards celebrating his 1990 AL MVP win, his Yankees Rewards celebrating his 6 Cy Young up to that point

Stats = again- self evident- meant to celebrate significant any career "stats" involved. In 2004 it celebrated Clemens Red Sox high of 24 wins in 1986 so 24 Red Sox versions, and his Yankees variation celebrated the 20 wins he had in 2001

When it came to autos, most of the items they had were numbered to no more than 10 with many 1/1 strewn about
Not sure why I did not pick up a Red Sox variation , but was able to snag a Yankees /10 and 1/1 variation

Special thanks go out to fellow Clemens collector Dave B ( @Rocket86mvp ) and as always Kevin ( @Pinbreaker)
Dave for his numerous subset help contributions, and Kevin for the assist on the Yankees 1/1 auto !!
UP FIRST- # 105 RED SOX VARIATIONS ( need an auto # to 10 ad if I can snag a 1/1 to finish up)
============================

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
When I did my 2005 LCM series I don't believe I properly explained the genesis behind the FOG series, so I'll do so in this years. The Roger Clemens 2004 LEAF CERTIFIED MATERIALS FABRIC OF THE GAME series had two variations associated with it. One was card 105 meant to celebrate his Red Sox years, the other card 106 meant to celebrate his Yankees years

Each item has variations, and those variations, while consistent, also have different levels of availability
Throughout the 2004 Leaf Certified Materials subsets DLP was fairly consistent with modern player card production levels. You will see numerous available items in the 50 or 100 card ranges that were fairly easy to pick up
Guys like Fred Lynn and Dave Winfield and certain types of Rickey Henderson team variations are examples of lower production runs. The pre-1980 players, and in particular the rare items ( think Ruth and Satchel Paige), all had low levels- some were 1/1 others numbered to 10 or less in most cases. This applied mainly to pre-1980 players stuff, but there are some modern guys like I said they kept low as well.

I'll make remarks on each before showing the two different Roger Clemens player variations

BA = base variations that were meant to symbolize the "bases". Not exactly cut like one, but close enough people got the point . Generally these had a production run of 100 each, although a stated above this can vary due to the player era involved , or in the availability of the jerseys "supposedly' involved. Most were numbered to 100, although numerous smaller levels of 3,5,10,25 and 50 are strewn throughout the series. Both Clemens have 100 produced

AL or NL = league designations meant to symbolize the American or National Leagues- self evident when seen. Most also had 100 total but like the base items could vary by player. Both Clemens variations have 100 produced

JN = Jersey Number - meant to show the players jersey number- cut to show the number and the production number "should" match the player number . For Clemens= 22 for Yankees, 21 Red Sox . We've all seen the really low ones. Quite a few vintage guys with these lower jersey numbers. One of the harder ones to get for player collectors. God forbid someone tries set building- can get prohibitively expensive but not impossible with a larger budget

JY = Jersey Year - for years was stumped looking at the cards and trying to figure this numbering system out when it struck me to actually READ my cards- that's when I noticed they used a "1990" Sox jersey- hence the 90 Sox pieces, and a 2002 Yankees jersey, which they probably decided to make 20 of instead of "02" since they had more available and it did match the start of the jsy year used . You have to look at the cards to know what which jersey year is celebrated of that player. They will not always match numbers wise, it might be a combo of something, or a cut off of a 4 digit year. Again for older jerseys- all over the place. So some consistent, some not

PS = Position and is meant to signify the players position- Clemens being a "P" for Pitcher. Most of these had a 50
produced but many had quite a bit less. Clemens had 50 of these produced of both variations

Reward = self evident- meant to celebrate a players "awards" or recognition of achievement. Most had 50 produced and again many were less including quite a few 1/1 items on modern guys. Again for Clemens 50 total each, his Red Sox Rewards celebrating his 1990 AL MVP win, his Yankees Rewards celebrating his 6 Cy Young up to that point

Stats = again- self evident- meant to celebrate significant any career "stats" involved. In 2004 it celebrated Clemens Red Sox high of 24 wins in 1986 so 24 Red Sox versions, and his Yankees variation celebrated the 20 wins he had in 2001

When it came to autos, most of the items they had were numbered to no more than 10 with many 1/1 strewn about
Not sure why I did not pick up a Red Sox variation , but was able to snag a Yankees /10 and 1/1 variation

Special thanks go out to fellow Clemens collector Dave B ( @Rocket86mvp ) and as always Kevin ( @Pinbreaker)
Dave for his numerous subset help contributions, and Kevin for the assist on the Yankees 1/1 auto !!
UP FIRST- # 105 RED SOX VARIATIONS ( need an auto # to 10 ad if I can snag a 1/1 to finish up)

View attachment 316178
View attachment 316179
View attachment 316180
View attachment 316181
View attachment 316182
View attachment 316183
View attachment 316184

Nice stuff. One of the first handful of GU pieces I bought many years ago was the "90" Jersey year. Wish I had a "21" too, I'll find one. Nice display and explanation. I never read the thing either actually :)

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
UP NEXT- # 106 YANKEES 2004 LEAF CERTIFIED FABRIC OF THE GAME VARIATIONS ( this subset as far as I am concerned is complete with the 1/1 inclusive)

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

The next two Clemens subsets will be 2004 Leaf Certified Cuts ( another week I'll spend looking for stuff) and 2004 Hot Prospects

More DLP and another Fleer subset- gonna take me time to locate all the LCC as I just literally got the LCM. Already packed back into storage as of this morning my apartment looks like I gained 20 square ft of space with the 2004 LL and 2004 LCM now scanned & gone !!

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
So another Leaf series that is annoying to complete is down below. If there is a series you would think would be easy to complete, but is not, the 2004 LEAF CERTIFIED CUTS Roger Clemens variations is one of them. Tried to figure this out for years, and realized many cards just don't get the sales "value" people wanted for them, so seeing them listed for sale is not as common as you'd expect. Sure you'll see the usual suspects in number "value' items like # 1/xx, or last numbers, uniform numbers etc. But a base item # 25 or 50 online sellers struggle to get value on ? Nope. At
the end of my post I am going to list my needs. I was able over the years to snag a few items, and of course folks always list uni # so if it just happens to be there when I buy so be it. See the end of my post for comments on needed items

Up first is the 2004 LEAF CERTIFIED CUTS K-FORCE VARIATIONS of Roger Clemens I have slabbed. Roger had a total of 6 total variations in this set that were collectable. Three were direct team related , and three were dual combo items with other players.

First variation is his # 3 ROGER CLEMENS ASTROS 2004 LEAF CERTIFIED CUTS K-FORCE that has a total of 3 cards listed, of which 1 example is a Signature 1/1. So 2 cards most folks can collect. Knocked them off fairly quickly although it took me years to slab the Jersey piece
full.jpg
full.jpg
Second variation is his #22 ROGER CLEMENS RED SOX 2004 LEAF CERTIFIED CUTS K-FORCE that has again 3 cards listed- 1/1 Signature again. So w can collect 2 cards- knocked the two out. Just realized today I had the jersey #- shows how little attention I pay when I buy
The serial numbering of 291 on the base was meant to celebrate his high of 291 K's in 1988 when he led the majors in strikeouts
full.jpg
full.jpg
Third variation is his # 23 ROGER CLEMENS BLUE JAYS 2004 LEAF CERTIFIED CUTS K-FORCE that only had 2 examples and 1 is the Signature 1/1 prior discussed. I'm going to guess they had "issues" creative license wise with his Blue Jays materials. Knocked off the single variation quickly
full.jpg
Roger also had three different jersey related dual piece in the set, only one of which had a base card associated ( card # 50 with Kerry Wood). The three were a #46 Ryan / Clemens Astros dual jsy, # 48 Ryan/Clemens Yankees dual jsy, and a #50 Clemens/Wood dual jsy

As to why just one item - #50 - had a base card, and a very difficult one to locate at that, is beyond me. I own the Clemens Wood dual #50. I need both Nolan Ryan dual, seems that whenever I've looked some Nolan Ryan guy always outbids me. There is #34/50 dual on eBay. I believe it has "condition" issues as its been relisted umpteen times. Think I've seen just 1 dual base Clemens/Wood /20 card listed

What an absolute JOKE of a price Beckett shows on that #/20 card. I'd pay double what they list it at easily
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Of Clemens individual listed cards- I own about half the LCC series. Missing some nuisance higher numbered, and a whole bunch of low numbered. I haven't search in 5 years or more so some are easy others- well- not so easy

The 2004 LEAF CERTIFIED CUTS # 95 ASTROS VARIATION has a total of 14 cards listed, of which 5 are 1/1, which leaves 9 cards for most of us to finish. Of the 9 cards to finish, just two have print runs of 100 or more with one at 50 copies . The other 6 cards ALL are low numbered. How low ?
Two cards are # to just 25 copies, one card numbered to 22 copies, and 3 of them numbered to just 5
To say patience is needed- geesh.

Below are the copies I have slabbed. I generally don't buy dupes so I musta lost track like usual and bought two Golds months apart
Carbon copy ends ( # 01/25 and # 25/25 ) and since I don't collect dupes off one will go once I get that far
As usual base items are graded LAST in my rotunda of slabbing I'll do that card last . I've discovered finding most of these requires a bit of luck
Quite a few holes were filled by collectors who don't sell on feebay
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
The 2004 LEAF CERTIFIED CUTS #201 YANKEES VARIATION has a total of 13 cards listed, of which 5 are 1/1, which leaves 8 cards for most of us. Again we encounter the low number problem we had with the Astros variation. Two are numbered to 5, one to 22, and one to 25
So basically 4 cards which most of us knock off and the rest we search forever . I have 5 of them- need 3 of them
Was able to snag a low # Emerald, and the Marble Blue & Gold base item eludes ( missing all 3 of those LCC variations) last one is an Emerald base item # to just 5 - not losing sleep over it. Will slab my base items when I feel like it

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
The 2004 LEAF CERTIFIED CUTS #214 RED SOX VARIATION has a total of 13 cards listed, of which 5 are 1/1, which leaves 8 cards for most of us. Again we encounter the low number problem we had with the Astros variation. Two are numbered to 5, one to 22, and one to 25

So basically 4 cards which most of us knock off and the rest we search . How I am missing the Red base /100 and Blue /50 Marble cards on this series just makes little sense, but when you don't search regular, and they don't list them regular- well, can see why :unsure:

Although snagging a 1/1 from this subset is good - least I have one for the 2004 series
So basically missing the two Emerald cards, plus two I should knock off in the next year now that I'll start looking

This completes the 2004 LCC series going to start finding and scanning the next sub series- 2004 Hot Prospects from Fleer
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Nice Edgars Kevin (y)

A couple of prior scanned series- found two missing slabs while searching the storage for all the ones coming up
Both the below come from the 2004 Playoff Honors series and were missing when I scanned the series
Done now and moved to the storage unit that has those items
full.jpg
full.jpg

Moving on we come to the 2004 HOT PROSPECTS DRAFT EDITION series. For a series focused on 'prospects" it sure had a lot of veterans cards !! A whopping total of twelve ( 12) HOT rookies- which many had a cup of tea in the majors, and a few- Yadi Molina amongst- lengthier careers

I plucked stuff off eBay rather than buy boxes back then, although I do know I bought a few of them
I don't believe I have one in storage, although I do remember breaking a 2003 Hot Prospects box in my box break thread so I might . There are subtle variations in foiling, card coloring , etc that need to be looked for when purchasing. Any item that doesn't show the proper combos I avoid it

Anyways, I believe other than slabbing a base jsy and base cards all I need are the Double Team Patch # /10 and Rewind Patch Red Hot # /5
In other words like usual the most difficult to locate
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
I'm curious, as these all pile up. Do you know your unique Clemens card count? If you're this deep in the numbered relic stuff, I have to guess you're at or near or over 10k cards of the 19k or so (I think) that Beckett recognizes. No?

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
I'm curious, as these all pile up. Do you know your unique Clemens card count? If you're this deep in the numbered relic stuff, I have to guess you're at or near or over 10k cards of the 19k or so (I think) that Beckett recognizes. No?
Somewhere north of 8000+ ,but nowhere near where I could be if I went beyond 2008 when he retired, or if my wife's health issues (and mine) hadn't robbed me of at least 5-6 yrs of hard core collecting (I got priorities- she's one). Think I've done nothing but sell the last 5 years, with "maybe" a few buys now and then of rare stuff. I collect only his career year cards ( 1984-2008), no post career items , except a few National Treasures limited items that I knew came from old DLP stock Panini acquired. I know a few Clemens guys with 8-10k+ or more. They had larger budgets and more time to spare.

Before I head to sleep and work tonite knocked out 3 more scans of a set I haven't looked at in years
The 2004 FLEER LEGACY series was a complete waste of time for me to even consider. Barely any Clemens in this series, and the ball held no interest .Back then I had 20-30 Clemens signed balls, so I didn't need any new ones.

Somewhere buried is my # / 50 Patch I have to slab. Tried upgrading the /99 and failed miserably
This series really had some poor QC if I remember correctly.
Below is two I know I have slabbed and the failed upgrade dupe, and I have a bunch of base cards and that patch to locate/slab

full.jpg
full.jpg

And the dupe card---
full.jpg

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Cool. I can't even fathom that many, as I struggle to get towards 3000. 8k is really cool!!

I do have the /99 patch you just posted, #88/99. Its sharp I'm not surprised to hear there are a others you know of at that quantity, but like you said, budget and time. for me, budget. I try to do as well as I can getting stuff for as little as possible. I rarely, if ever, "go nuts" for a card. Would love to see any displays you keep around (or those other guys) for them if you do.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Next up scan wise is the 2004 SWEET SIGS series of Clemens items I have slabbed. Never purchased any boxes as I was too busy buying 2004 Flair boxes, and these boxes were mostly attracting the signature hunters and were overpriced for my taste. Plucked what I needed over the years off eBay.

Info about the series is here at 2004 FLEER SWEET SIGS

I need to slab my base jerseys ( red /125 and silver /165) but here is the Patches
Have never seen a Black/5 base item, but again I haven't looked in 5-6 years for any Clemens
Never bothered with the autos . I'm sure I can locate them if I cared to look
From what I remember they faded easy due to being on fake baseball "leather"
full.jpg

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Another Fleer set up now and this one is the 2004 FLEER INSCRIBED series. Neat little concept and again I didn't buy any boxes
There were some base set cards of various colors, some game used , and autos sprinkled in of Clemens
The Names of the Game auto of Clemens was an exchange, and while numbered to 25 just 22 copies "supposedly" existed. Quite a few cards were never inserted into packs Autograph wise due to the bankruptcy

Info about the set is here at 2004 FLEER INSCRIBED BASEBALL

Base items are below, followed by the Names of the Game jersey stuff I have slabbed already
Need to sub another one of the Gold think I own 2-3 extra copies I'd like a silver color at least
Need to slab my base stuff and the base jersey. I also need to locate a Blue Patch/20 pretty sure I never knocked one off my list
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
The last set of slabs I am going to scan tonite is the 2004 FLEER GENUINE INSIDER series. Luckily for me had a whopping 4 cards only for Clemens
I slabbed a base Clemens jersey and his dual, just need to slab the Piazza jersey and his base item and this set is done
Got the Piazza jsy somewhere will drag it out and sub it and the base card so I'm done on that series

Info on this set is here at 2004 FLEER GENUINE INSIDER BASEBALL

full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
OK because inventory girl wants to continue down in order we have to go over some stuff I already scanned so I will blow through at least 5-7 sets in the next couple of days. First up is the 2004 FLAIR series Roger Clemens stuff I have slabbed. Don't believe I have added anything to this set in nearly 10 years. I already scanned this 2 years ago but she wants it in order back to front so yeah here we are again

Info on this set is located

Also if anyone cares to check out I did break open a box or two in my box break thread 2004 FLAIR BOX BREAK

First up - the Game used Versions = Green /unnumbered , Blue /250 , Red /175, Pewter /125, Copper /75 , Silver /50 , Gold /22 , and Platinum /17
Only one I am missing on the full sized is the Game Used Purple 1/1 that I won't lose sleep over

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
And on the Die Cut Versions still missing just a Copper Die Cut # to 8 and a Die Cut Dual Clemens / Pettitte # to 10
I have the Blue / 25 , Red /18, Pewter /13, Silver /5 , Gold /3 and I did manage to snag the Platinum DC 1/1
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Have just 3 slabs to show next and they involve two smaller sets

First is the sole 2004 FINEST slab I have done. My base card and base refractor are in my "to be slabbed" piles
My Gold Refractor is sitting in storage waiting for me to get it out and slab it.
Here is the only one I have slabbed and available below. They were box toppers and people loved opening the master boxes. Believe I may have some master boxes still in storage

Info on the set is located 2004 FINEST BASEBALL

full.jpg

Next up is two of my three slabbed 2004 ETOPPS slabs. Cannot locate my 1/1 National slab
Fairly easy to know those two out compared to the 2005 mess I haven't finished slabbing yet
Info on this set is located 2004 eTopps
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Banging out the series, next up is the 2004 E-X series for Roger Clemens. Overpriced for what it contained, I decided against buying any . I'd have rather popped out $75 per pack Flair then this set. Just was not properly priced
Had 7 cards to a pack, with a patch and an auto - for $200. You were more likely to get a player you didn't need or want than your own guy

My guy Clemens had a bunch of inserts, and I cannot say there is a bad one amongst them- they are all neat items

Whether its an Essential Credential insert, or a game used, or an autograph they are all neat
The Checkmates autos and Signs of the Times especially were cool to look at , and other auto series were just as nice
Years ago I had the chance to buy both Clemens 1/1 logo-- just did not have a spare 3 grand available !!

I do need to locate a numbered Now version, and a non-numbered future version, and slab them

Info about the series is here 2004 E-X BASEBALL
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
If you ever able to come across a desirable box to break the 2004 DONRUSS WORLD SERIES boxes can't go wrong with. I bought cases of this stuff when they came out. Filled with tons of inserts , game used and autos, proof positive a series didn't have to be all hits to succeed. My guy Roger Clemens had tons of stuff inside. I tried picking up all the serial numbered stuff, and leaving the base items till last

Have not inventoried this set yet, just scanned it, so I don't know what I really need until I do dig in to the checklist
Believe if I were to guess, I need about 10 cards, maybe 5 low numbered 10 or less ,and a few higher game used I should be able to pluck anytime
Base cards are not slabbed yet and the higher serial numbered neither. Quite a few Clemens / Piazza dual also
I did manage to slab a few lower numbered autos and holofoils already

Below is the 8 or so slabbed so far. This will be it for this week as I have more stuff to handle before the weekends long work shifts

Info on this series is here at 2004 DONRUSS WORLD SERIES

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

Members online