Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

record holders that wont be in the HOF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Rose and Jackson have been formally banned from baseball, which precludes election. Bonds, McGwire, et al, have not. Selig doesn't seem inclined to lift either ban, so that's a real technical hurdle. The roid guys just have to convince 400 or so more sportswriters to get in.

Roger Maris, for 37 years the single-season HR record holder (and 2x MVP), will never get in.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
smapdi said:
Rose and Jackson have been formally banned from baseball, which precludes election. Bonds, McGwire, et al, have not. Selig doesn't seem inclined to lift either ban, so that's a real technical hurdle. The roid guys just have to convince 400 or so more sportswriters to get in.

Roger Maris, for 37 years the single-season HR record holder (and 2x MVP), will never get in.
Them being banned doesnt preclude them from election. The baseball hall of fame is a seperate entity which establishes its own rules. Infact, Im not sure about Ros, but Joe Jackson was on the Hall of Fame ballot.
Roger Maris doesnt have the career stats to get in.

Tedw9

Apr 1, 2010
schmidtfan20 said:
Yankees1218 said:
Bond will get in, and if he doesn't, the Hall of Fame should never be taken seriously, because Bonds is a top 5 player all time, if not the greatest player of all time.

what if Ted Williams or Mickey Mantle got to use roids-how great they would of been? Can you imagine
Ted Williams on roids? 1000 HR's probably would of batted .450 over a season.

Bonds is a cheater and should never be compared to players who played the game and didn't cheat. If you want
to make a special cheaters HOF then that is fine......put it around the back in a small portolet and hang their
plaques there!

Bonds and all the roids in the world still couldn't hold up Ted Williams' jock.

Thats all

Kevin

I 100% agree with you about Ted Williams. Ted would own every batting record if he was roided up. And I'm sorry Yankees1218, no way Bonds is the greatest player ever. Until he comes back and pitches 30 scoreless innings in the World Series (or any series for that matter) AND hits 700+ home runs, he will never be the greatest player ever.

I would love to see Shoeless Joe and Pete get in, but I don't think either one will....unless the next commissioner shakes things up and lifts the bans.

Schmidtfan, your post was thanked.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Tedw9 said:
schmidtfan20 said:
Yankees1218 said:
Bond will get in, and if he doesn't, the Hall of Fame should never be taken seriously, because Bonds is a top 5 player all time, if not the greatest player of all time.

what if Ted Williams or Mickey Mantle got to use roids-how great they would of been? Can you imagine
Ted Williams on roids? 1000 HR's probably would of batted .450 over a season.

Bonds is a cheater and should never be compared to players who played the game and didn't cheat. If you want
to make a special cheaters HOF then that is fine......put it around the back in a small portolet and hang their
plaques there!

Bonds and all the roids in the world still couldn't hold up Ted Williams' jock.

Thats all

Kevin

I 100% agree with you about Ted Williams. Ted would own every batting record if he was roided up. And I'm sorry Yankees1218, no way Bonds is the greatest player ever. Until he comes back and pitches 30 scoreless innings in the World Series (or any series for that matter) AND hits 700+ home runs, he will never be the greatest player ever.

I would love to see Shoeless Joe and Pete get in, but I don't think either one will....unless the next commissioner shakes things up and lifts the bans.

Schmidtfan, your post was thanked.
Total speculation. Maybe he would have gotten injured and never been the same due to 'roids. Not saying it has not helped some players, but there's no way to revise history.

I think that Bonds (as well as Arod) will eventually get in because the belief (amongst most I have heard) is that they were HOFers without the 'roids. Of course there is no way to know for sure that the years that people believe/hope were clean actually were, but I think they get in. Can't say the same for McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro etc.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
As long as character is a criteria for election, Bonds will never get in.

Its not a big deal if record holders don't get into the HOF...because the HOF isn't all about numbers. Numbers are just a possible starting off point.

On that note, the 3rd baseman with the highest fielding percentage all-time will never get into the hall :(

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Not really a record but

Mark Grace was the hit leader of the 90's. Every other player who lead a decade in hits is in the hall but unfortunately Grace wont make it. :(

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Eric Gagne won't be close to getting into the HoF. His Saves records probably won't be broken either.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Lets also not forgot Williams going off to war in the prime of his career. Plenty of kids here who grew up watching
Bonds all roided up hitting them out. You should learn your history first. Bonds will never be a HOFer

Kevin

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
Two other players I dont see getting in are Sosa and piazza...Sosa for hitting 60 hrs 3x in his career and piazza for most hrs by a catcher. I don't see any player caught/suspected of steroids to ever get in

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
colts1888 said:
Two other players I dont see getting in are Sosa and piazza...Sosa for hitting 60 hrs 3x in his career and piazza for most hrs by a catcher. I don't see any player caught/suspected of steroids to ever get in

Care to make an argument against Piazza?

I don't think I have EVER heard or seen someone say that Piazza wouldn't get in.

Sosa is like McGwire, until they were suspected of steroids, they were nothing special.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
piazza has been rumored to take roids and i think just by having your name in that era will hurt his chances also my sports journalism teacher who was the mets beat writer also said hes persinally seen him inject himself how much of that i true i dont know but it wouldnt shock me one bit

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
jrinne said:
Not really a record but

Mark Grace was the hit leader of the 90's. Every other player who lead a decade in hits is in the hall but unfortunately Grace wont make it. :(

I wonder if Grace played a different position people would think more highly of him. Having little power as a 1B hurts his chances in many people's eyes. Which is weird considering he might be in consideration if he played OF, and definitely if he was a 2B.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think that "suspected" PED abuse won't hurt a player's chances at making the Hall. Look at Jeff Bagwell for proof. The guy is a Hall of Famer. He was never caught or accused of doing anything wrong, yet the "suspected" usage alone kept him off first-ballot and most likely for a long time if not forever. Piazza will be in that same category. I'm not saying it is fair, but Piazza is a "suspected" PED abuser and it will keep him out of the HOF.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
suspected by whom?

I have never heard Piazza and PEDs mentioned in the same breath until this thread.

all of the baseball "heavy hitters" that I've heard talk about him, talk 1st ballot

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
chashawk said:
suspected by whom?

I have never heard Piazza and PEDs mentioned in the same breath until this thread.

all of the baseball "heavy hitters" that I've heard talk about him, talk 1st ballot

http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2009/ ... tions.html

I'm NOT saying this is any kind of proof, but it is accusations and a report of admission none-the-less.

"As the hundreds of major league ballplayers who turned to performance-enhancing drugs throughout the 1990s did their absolute best to keep the media at arm's length, Piazza took the opposite approach. According to several sources, when the subject of performance enhancing was broached with reporters he especially trusted, Piazza fessed up. "Sure, I use," he told one. "But in limited doses, and not all that often." (Piazza has denied using performance-enhancing drugs, but there has always been speculation.) Whether or not it was Piazza's intent, the tactic was brilliant: By letting the media know, of the record, Piazza made the information that much harder to report. Writers saw his bulging muscles, his acne-covered back. They certainly heard the under-the-breath comments from other major league players, some who considered Piazza's success to be 100 percent chemically delivered."

"He's a guy who did it, and everybody knows it," says Reggie Jefferson, the longtime major league first baseman. "It's amazing how all these names, like Roger Clemens, are brought up, yet Mike Piazza goes untouched."

"There was nothing more obvious than Mike on steroids," says another major league veteran who played against Piazza for years. "Everyone talked about it, everyone knew it. Guys on my team, guys on the Mets. A lot of us came up playing against Mike, so we knew what he looked like back in the day. Frankly, he sucked on the field. Just sucked. After his body changed, he was entirely different. 'Power from nowhere,' we called it."

When asked, on a scale of 1 to 10, to grade the odds that Piazza had used performance enhancers, the player doesn't pause.

"A 12," he says. "Maybe a 13."

Members online

Latest posts