Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I was going to say, there have been a number of threads I have seen over the years with player collections. I saved a few a while back, but when I went to update links, several didn't work any longer.

I have the same dream to do a Garvey site and started scanning stuff myself a few years back, but gave up after only getting into the mid 70s! I had way fewer scans. Retirement project perhaps.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Well, I finally did it. I finished scanning the front and back of all 4,638 Alomar cards in my collection. I embarked on this project on May 10 2020 (yes a covid project) and finished two and a half years later on October 24 2022. After 9,276 scans, I'd say my HP Officejet 4652 has held up pretty well.

So now what? I have ambitions of creating a website to showcase this collection. Although I already uploaded bunch of them to TCDB, I still want to make my own website. I admit it's a vanity project. But I've always liked well done player collector websites, like the Frank Thomas one by @patrick182. I just have to decide on a web hosting service, and design the site layout. Maybe in another year it will be done.

In the meantime, can you guys point me to some good player collector websites, so I can get some ideas?

Here are a couple recent pickups...

2004 Donruss World Series Signature Trios /25. Three HOF'ers on one card. Not bad!

View attachment 343303

2000 Upper Deck Legends Commemorative Collection /100. For a print run of 100 this one had been eluding me for a surprisingly long time. Then two of them appeared for sale in one week. Go figure.

View attachment 343304

That's quite a load off your shoulders, I'm sure. I would love to revive my old Ryne Sandberg site. Maybe one day I will.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Scanning definitely became a chore after a while. That was a big reason why it took so long to complete. But on the other hand I got to re-familiarize myself with the entire collection, card by card. Some of them hadn't been out of their toploaders in 30 years.

So how many Garvey cards do you have to scan?

I was going to say, there have been a number of threads I have seen over the years with player collections. I saved a few a while back, but when I went to update links, several didn't work any longer.

I have the same dream to do a Garvey site and started scanning stuff myself a few years back, but gave up after only getting into the mid 70s! I had way fewer scans. Retirement project perhaps.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah, it is. But on the other hand, completion of a project never seems to bring the catharsis I think it will when I'm slogging through it. Not like this was a major life accomplishment or anything, but I thought I'd at least get a good high when I scanned that very last card. But instead it was just like well, that's done, now what?

For selfish reasons, I think you should resurrect the Sandberg site. I like scrolling through PC websites :)

That's quite a load off your shoulders, I'm sure. I would love to revive my old Ryne Sandberg site. Maybe one day I will.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Scanning definitely became a chore after a while. That was a big reason why it took so long to complete. But on the other hand I got to re-familiarize myself with the entire collection, card by card. Some of them hadn't been out of their toploaders in 30 years.

So how many Garvey cards do you have to scan?
I have 1000s. Was doing front & back to create a basic Garvey catalog. I hope to one day get back to it, but too many other projects to do first.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Speaking of whales. In case you were ever wondering where the inspiration for Moby Dick came from, look for the book "In the Heart of the Sea" by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's about the whaler Essex, which was lost in 1820 due to being repeatedly rammed by a sp*erm whale.

Note that I had to insert a * in the middle of that whale's name because the stupid FCB text morality checker did not like the name of those whales with the big heads filled with oil.

Anyhoo, a few survivors from the Essex did make it back to land, but only after unspeakable hardship on the open sea.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I finally finished scanning the collection, and have made a little website for it. It's not done, but I've got it far enough along to make it live.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks to John (@shuedini), keeper of the Scott Rolen Collection website, for advice while I was making this thing!

Last edited:

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I finally finished scanning the collection, and have made a little website for it. It's not done, but I've got it far enough along to make it live.

Thanks to John (@shuedini), keeper of the Scott Rolen Collection website, for advice while I was making this thing!
That card from 1976 is pretty cool!

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana

Very nicely done!
Did I count correctly, you're only 4 cards away from having all of the 98 Topps Tek Alomars? That, in and of itself, is incredible! And all of those show stamped Pacific cards...I love seeing them all together like that.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
1990 Donruss #111 Blue White Paper Proof Blank Back
How do you know that this is an Alomar card? There is no name no number. The only thing it has is the word Donruss.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks a lot. I realized the mobile version of the site was screwed up, so I just finished fixing that.

Very nicely done!
Did I count correctly, you're only 4 cards away from having all of the 98 Topps Tek Alomars? That, in and of itself, is incredible! And all of those show stamped Pacific cards...I love seeing them all together like that.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
It's pretty faint, but you can see the front image of the 1990 Donruss card in blue. The back is blank. It's probably pushing the limits of what is really a "card", but what the hell.

1990 Donruss #111 Blue White Paper Proof Blank Back
How do you know that this is an Alomar card? There is no name no number. The only thing it has is the word Donruss.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Oh yeah - yes I am just 4 cards away from the 98 tek set. I think it will be a while though.

Very nicely done!

Latest posts