Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

~The DEREK JETER Thread~

What is Derek Jeter to you

• One of the best hitting shortstops to ever play the game of baseball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A decent defensive shortstop

• I don't care about Derek Jeter whatsoever

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Re: The DEREK JETER thread

sportscardtheory said:
nyc3 said:
Once again I would like to end this on agreeing on something with you. This topic is not needed.

What topic IS needed... is this not a message board? I thought message boards were for discussing anything. I'm sure that if a topic was not worth discussing, no one would have posted a reply.
I am not going to argue with you. My point was more this topic is a bit provoking to the people sick about hearing about jeter and I knew it would end in a car crash somehow. Dont take it so personally.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

notjomommasclint said:
*the most overrated play in mlb history was the running catch that jeter made in the field and jumped into the stands. jose reyes, omar vizquel, rafael furcal, jimmy rollins, or alex rodriguez would have made that catch in better fielding position.*

I would like to end this by commenting on this comment. That catch was suppose to be arods catch and he was no where near it till it was to late so I am not so sure about the arod would have made that catch comment and facts are facts they didnt. Its like saying hey Willie Mays over the shoulder catch was over rated the guy in my softball league does it weekly.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN

sportscardtheory said:
muskiesfan said:
Thank you. I know I'm right.

I can project stats too. Adam Dunn will hit over 600 HRs. CC Sabathia will win 300 games. If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass when he jumps. See, I can play the "lets make up numbers" game too. Even if Jeter reaches the numbers you projected, his name still would not pop up when I think of the greatest players ever. More people will agree with me on that than people who really believe he's one of the greatest ever.

If you think Jeter is this good, does that mean that Alex Rodriguez IS the greatest player ever? It's always hard for me to believe that the Yankees best SS plays 3B.

It just amuses me that saying Jeter is good and that he will be a HOFer just isn't enough. To please Jeter fans, you have to agree that he's the best ever or "you're not even fit to discuss baseball." Get a life. He'll make the HOF. I don't like the guy, but I think he deserves to be a HOFer. People that know a lot more about baseball than you or I rank Jeter very low defensively and say that he's overrated. If you could get past your bias, maybe you could actually come to understand why.

Joe

I almost forgot. I can laugh at you too. :lol: Now I'm cool too.

Good projecting, seeing that Dunn WILL most likely hit 600 and C.C. WILL most likely get 300 wins.

Projections are not "making up numbers"... they are PROJECTIONS.

If Jeter reaches the milestones he is projected, you would have to be VERY ignorant to not give him his due as one of the best shortstops ever.

You are in the minority on your opinion on Jeter, so no, more people wil NOT agree with you.

Alex Rodriguez will go down as the greatest offensive force to ever play the game of baseball in my opinion... as a SS turned third baseman. Call him a SS all you want, it doesn't make him one.

Not one single person has stated that he is the best ever, at ANYTHING... so you obviously see what you want to see.

NO one said he was great defensively...

I am in fact NOT bias, as I am indeed not even a Yankee or Jeter fan... I just see things clearly and can admit when reality is being enforced.

:lol: I laugh at you AGAIN for being mis-enformed and/or ignorant to facts... you have offered NO proof of anything other than the fact you don't think he is the greatest player ever, which no one ever stated that he was.

I said I was done, but let me answer this, then I'll roll.

Projections, made up, same thing. The reason they are the same thing is because they haven't materialized yet. You can project Derek Jeter to have 3,500 hits. You can base your opinion on him with 3,500 hits. Unfortunately, that is not how I view him. It's a made up number. Awhile back there was someone projecting him to break Pete Rose's hit record. You can take projections as far as you want. It means about as much as made up numbers.

I am far from ignorant. I sincerely appreciate you trying to burn that into me, but it's far from true. If Jeter reaches 3,500 hits, yes, he would be one of the best hitting SS ever.

I beg to differ. There are more people that will agree with me that Jeter is a HOF caliber player, but not one of the greatest players ever. I would be willing to be I'm right on that. If you feel so strongly about it, make another poll and I assure you that more people will say that he is NOT one of the greatest players ever as opposed to the amount of people who will say he is one of the greatest players ever.

Alex Rodriguez will go down as one of the best all-around players ever. I agree with that. The reason he is a SS turned 3B is partly because the leader of the Yankees would not move from SS.

I'm sorry, but you are way off here. Over and over I have repeated what you stated in your original post that people who could not say with a straight face that Derek Jeter is one of the greatest players ever, that they did not deserve to be talking baseball. You're the one who brought that up in your original post, not me. I didn't make that up and I wasn't the one who brought it into the discussion. I am sorry, but Jeter is not one of the greatest players ever.

You keep calling him the best SS ever. I agree that he could potentially be one of the best hitting SS of all-time, but Alex Rodriguez was a better all-around SS than Jeter. Defense is important and having the complete package is what helps to make a player one of the greatest ever.

I see things very clearly. He's going to make the HOF one day, but he is also overrated. He won a Silver Slugger that he didn't deserve this year. He's also won 3 GGs that he didn't deserve. He is also conisdered in the lower tier defensively.

:lol: I laugh again too for you wanting to continue to try and belittle me for having a different opinion. Feel free to call me ignorant if it makes you feel better about yourself. You offered and opinion and "projected" stats. I rebutted your opinion and brought up the fact that the awards that he has won do not make him great. There are plenty of players who have won the same awards and were far from great. Again, please re-read your original post where YOU said that Jeter is one of greatest players ever. You brought it up.

Joe

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

muskiesfan said:
I said I was done, but let me answer this, then I'll roll.

Projections, made up, same thing. The reason they are the same thing is because they haven't materialized yet. You can project Derek Jeter to have 3,500 hits. You can base your opinion on him with 3,500 hits. Unfortunately, that is not how I view him. It's a made up number. Awhile back there was someone projecting him to break Pete Rose's hit record. You can take projections as far as you want. It means about as much as made up numbers.

I am far from ignorant. I sincerely appreciate you trying to burn that into me, but it's far from true. If Jeter reaches 3,500 hits, yes, he would be one of the best hitting SS ever.

I beg to differ. There are more people that will agree with me that Jeter is a HOF caliber player, but not one of the greatest players ever. I would be willing to be I'm right on that. If you feel so strongly about it, make another poll and I assure you that more people will say that he is NOT one of the greatest players ever as opposed to the amount of people who will say he is one of the greatest players ever.

Alex Rodriguez will go down as one of the best all-around players ever. I agree with that. The reason he is a SS turned 3B is partly because the leader of the Yankees would not move from SS.

I'm sorry, but you are way off here. Over and over I have repeated what you stated in your original post that people who could not say with a straight face that Derek Jeter is one of the greatest players ever, that they did not deserve to be talking baseball. You're the one who brought that up in your original post, not me. I didn't make that up and I wasn't the one who brought it into the discussion. I am sorry, but Jeter is not one of the greatest players ever.

You keep calling him the best SS ever. I agree that he could potentially be one of the best hitting SS of all-time, but Alex Rodriguez was a better all-around SS than Jeter. Defense is important and having the complete package is what helps to make a player one of the greatest ever.

I see things very clearly. He's going to make the HOF one day, but he is also overrated. He won a Silver Slugger that he didn't deserve this year. He's also won 3 GGs that he didn't deserve. He is also conisdered in the lower tier defensively.

:lol: I laugh again too for you wanting to continue to try and belittle me for having a different opinion. Feel free to call me ignorant if it makes you feel better about yourself. You offered and opinion and "projected" stats. I rebutted your opinion and brought up the fact that the awards that he has won do not make him great. There are plenty of players who have won the same awards and were far from great. Again, please re-read your original post where YOU said that Jeter is one of greatest players ever. You brought it up.

Joe

Projection is a HUGE part of baseball... there is no denying that, enough said.

I said that when all is said and done, if he reaches the milestones and you still can't give him his due, THAT would be ignorant. I never flat out called you ignorant...

Derek Jeter is one of the most loved and most popular players in the game... you are 100% wrong.

Why would Derek Jeter leave his position that he won 4 World Series rings playing because the Yankees obtained a player that plays his position? It was insulting to even ask him seeing that he is a SS and a damn good one. A-Rod is a third-baseman now, not a SS... that doesn't take ANYTHING away from Jeter.

I am obviously stating over and over again, when all is said and DONE he will go down as one of the best players ever... I never said he was NOW.

I never ONCE said he was the best shortstop ever... NEVER ONCE. Show me where I said that and I will admit it. And Jeter IS one of the best all-around shortstops... he is a good defensive SS.

You saying he won awards he didn't deserve is ridiculous... enough said.

I never called you ignorant... he WILL go down as one of the best ever. And I am merely stating MY opinion... so don't get all high and mighty on me. ;)

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN

No worries man. You are entitled to your opinion, me likewise. ;)

A point to ponder. As for awards that Jeter didn't deserve. He won the GG in 2005. Orlando Cabrera committed less than half (7) the errors Jeter did (15) and had a .988 FP. In 2006, Michael Young posted a better FP (.981 to .975), only committed 1 less error, but had more put outs and assists.

This year Jhonny Peralta was more deserving of the Silver Slugger than Jeter.

I could probably bring up more points, but I honestly don't feel like digging up the information right now. Like I have said many times, Jeter is a HOFer, so lets just agree on that. :D

Joe

G

Derek Jeter is one of my baseball heroes and has been since around 1996.

He is one of the reasons I wore the number 2 in high school.

Jeet's the man.

I find all of the haters very amusing.

95vr4

Aug 7, 2008

notjomommasclint said:
the reason i hate jeter besides the pinstripes is that the media puts more on him than his ability deserves. i think jeter is clutch at the plate and will make an occasional great play (the toss at home to nail jeremy giambi) but he also makes the bad throw, kicks the slow roller and lacks the side to side movement of the positions top defensive players. alex rodriguez was a better all around shortstop than jeter and brings more wood. the fielding percentages maybe close but that is because arod got to balls jeter could barely see.

according to this he isnt a top 11 ss...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7197 ... ime-part-2

*the most overrated play in mlb history was the running catch that jeter made in the field and jumped into the stands. jose reyes, omar vizquel, rafael furcal, jimmy rollins, or alex rodriguez would have made that catch in better fielding position.*

I'm sorry, I don't see how you can compare these top 11 retired HOF SS to Jeter right now. I'm not saying they don't deserve the top 11 right now, but how could you determine Jeter who still has about 8 years baseball left to play won't make the top 11 list?

nyc3 said:
notjomommasclint said:

I would like to end this by commenting on this comment. That catch was suppose to be arods catch and he was no where near it till it was to late so I am not so sure about the arod would have made that catch comment and facts are facts they didnt. Its like saying hey Willie Mays over the shoulder catch was over rated the guy in my softball league does it weekly.

arod at short snags it without going 2nd row. how about this restatement? for above average defensive shortstops this was a simple catch but for derek jeters defensive ability it was a great catch. either way the media makes a bigger deal out of it than they should he made the catch on the field of play and then jumped into the stands...

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

muskiesfan said:
No worries man. You are entitled to your opinion, me likewise. ;)

A point to ponder. As for awards that Jeter didn't deserve. He won the GG in 2005. Orlando Cabrera committed less than half (7) the errors Jeter did (15) and had a .988 FP. In 2006, Michael Young posted a better FP (.981 to .975), only committed 1 less error, but had more put outs and assists.

This year Jhonny Peralta was more deserving of the Silver Slugger than Jeter.

I could probably bring up more points, but I honestly don't feel like digging up the information right now. Like I have said many times, Jeter is a HOFer, so lets just agree on that. :D

Joe

I agree... only time will tell how much MORE he accomplishes. We are all entitled to our opinions... :)

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

as a Mets fan, it would be great to see Jeter playing SS at age 40, hes defensively washed up at 34, imagine 6 years from now? lol

Jeter is going to be in the HOF (most people get in, its a money making thing nowadays, look at Gossage),
but his best days are very far behind him.
Grounding into double plays and little bloop singles are his calling cards now.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

Another thing, why does it seem that anyone that isnt a yankees fan is labeled a "yankee hater"?

the yankees have been a non-factor for almost a decade now, why must anyone that doesnt root for them
HAVE to be a hater?

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL

ThoseBackPages said:
Another thing, why does it seem that anyone that isnt a yankees fan is labeled a "yankee hater"?

the yankees have been a non-factor for almost a decade now, why must anyone that doesnt root for them
HAVE to be a hater?

It's easier to label someone a hater than to have to make sensible arguments.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN

fengzhang said:
ThoseBackPages said:

HAVE to be a hater?

It's easier to label someone a hater than to have to make sensible arguments.

Thank you TBP and fengzhang. I don't know how many times I said that Jeter will be a HOFer and that he's a good player. Yet, because I do not think more highly of him I am labeled as a hater. Go figure.

Joe

95vr4 said:
notjomommasclint said:
the reason i hate jeter besides the pinstripes is that the media puts more on him than his ability deserves. i think jeter is clutch at the plate and will make an occasional great play (the toss at home to nail jeremy giambi) but he also makes the bad throw, kicks the slow roller and lacks the side to side movement of the positions top defensive players. alex rodriguez was a better all around shortstop than jeter and brings more wood. the fielding percentages maybe close but that is because arod got to balls jeter could barely see.

according to this he isnt a top 11 ss...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7197 ... ime-part-2

I'm sorry, I don't see how you can compare these top 11 retired HOF SS to Jeter right now. I'm not saying they don't deserve the top 11 right now, but how could you determine Jeter who still has about 8 years baseball left to play won't make the top 11 list?

im not saying he wont but he isnt... i think he is very good but the hype imo outweighs his ability.

NerfXerks

Aug 7, 2008

Derek Jeter has very little power left (less than 40 extra base hits last year. He posted his worst offensive year since his rookie year. It would make sense that Jeter is in a normal decline phase- maybe he won't even get to 3000 hits. Probably he will, but it's just projections. Jeter also grounded into 24 double plays this year. That's not good. (Although Jhonny Peralta grounded out into 26).

Once again, Jeter's selection was not a travesty like that time they picked Rafael Palmeiro for the GG at 1st base despite him playing only 18 games there. It wasn't a great selection, or even a good one, and I don't think they got the call right. But it wasn't a GOD-AWFUL selection.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008

Hey sportcardtheory-

I don't know how many times I have to embarrass you on this same topic. In two separate posts I have asked you to defend Jeter's so called "leadership ability." You ignored them and I just assumed you accepted defeat. I guess not because you start another post about this turd. Please, Please, I am begging you; defend this tool's leadership ability.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

Mozzie22 said:
Hey sportcardtheory-

I don't know how many times I have to embarrass you on this same topic. In two separate posts I have asked you to defend Jeter's so called "leadership ability." You ignored them and I just assumed you accepted defeat. I guess not because you start another post about this turd. Please, Please, I am begging you; defend this tool's leadership ability.

You CAN'T be serious... how could you or I possibly prove ANY player is a team leader??? Why don't YOU prove to us that ANY player has ever been a leader. It's just KNOWN... if he wasn't a team leader, no one would have ever said he was. I'm not in the locker room, so I have to go by history and hear-say. Give it up already...

P.S. You have not and never WILL embarrass me in any way, shape or form... I could not care less about your hatred of a future all-time great baseball player. You can dislike anyone you want... it doesn't affect me in the least.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States

I can't remember where I heard it, but during some broadcast during the season the broadcasters talked about Jeter's chance to end up with 4,000 hits. They were using his production so far, his age, and projecting how much longer he would likely play, reduce the average of hits per year a little as he gets older, and he should clear 4,000 easily. I think it could happen.

Members online

Latest posts