Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

~The DEREK JETER Thread~

What is Derek Jeter to you

• One of the best hitting shortstops to ever play the game of baseball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A decent defensive shortstop

• I don't care about Derek Jeter whatsoever

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Re: The DEREK JETER thread

I'm gonna put it like this. Jeter has had a very nice career. I figure he will have a few more decent years. Perhaps he's not as good as he used to be with the glove, or his bat doesn't have the pop it once created, but hey, he's been a constant for the pinstripes in New York. Year in and year out, he's always been one to be able to contribute something for the team. It may have not been the best AB or RBI maker or HR or whatever, but he's always been one that people can say, "hey this guy has a chance to turn this game around with one swing of the bat." Or if a ball was hit to Jeter, its always been pretty much a given that it will more than likely be an out.

I got the opportunity to meet Jeter many times as I was a fat little kid playing little league ball and he was a budding young prospect in the Yankees farm system. My coaches used to reward my good play with his minor league cards. Jeter was very nice to me and when my parents cooked dinner for him and the rest of the Greensboro team, he was very nice to me, as he signed several autographs for me, let me sit with him and we talked about me playing, and he helped me with some skills and such. Hell, we even talked video games and stuff like that.

Whether you like him or hate him, there's no denying that he's a good guy. Yeah he may be up Arod's ass, and has been given way more attention than he deserves. BUT, he's stood behind baseball and played the game in purity.

I will always have respect and admiration for him. It sounds ****, but its part of my childhood and I'll always remember it.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire

blanning71 said:
I'm gonna put it like this. Jeter has had a very nice career. I figure he will have a few more decent years. Perhaps he's not as good as he used to be with the glove, or his bat doesn't have the pop it once created, but hey, he's been a constant for the pinstripes in New York. Year in and year out, he's always been one to be able to contribute something for the team. It may have not been the best AB or RBI maker or HR or whatever, but he's always been one that people can say, "hey this guy has a chance to turn this game around with one swing of the bat." Or if a ball was hit to Jeter, its always been pretty much a given that it will more than likely be an out.

I got the opportunity to meet Jeter many times as I was a fat little kid playing little league ball and he was a budding young prospect in the Yankees farm system. My coaches used to reward my good play with his minor league cards. Jeter was very nice to me and when my parents cooked dinner for him and the rest of the Greensboro team, he was very nice to me, as he signed several autographs for me, let me sit with him and we talked about me playing, and he helped me with some skills and such. Hell, we even talked video games and stuff like that.

Whether you like him or hate him, there's no denying that he's a good guy. Yeah he may be up Arod's ass, and has been given way more attention than he deserves. BUT, he's stood behind baseball and played the game in purity.

I will always have respect and admiration for him. It sounds ****, but its part of my childhood and I'll always remember it.

Well said!

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008

sportscardtheory said:
Mozzie22 said:
Hey sportcardtheory-

I don't know how many times I have to embarrass you on this same topic. In two separate posts I have asked you to defend Jeter's so called "leadership ability." You ignored them and I just assumed you accepted defeat. I guess not because you start another post about this turd. Please, Please, I am begging you; defend this tool's leadership ability.

You CAN'T be serious... how could you or I possibly prove ANY player is a team leader??? Why don't YOU prove to us that ANY player has ever been a leader. It's just KNOWN... if he wasn't a team leader, no one would have ever said he was. I'm not in the locker room, so I have to go by history and hear-say. Give it up already...

P.S. You have not and never WILL embarrass me in any way, shape or form... I could not care less about your hatred of a future all-time great baseball player. You can dislike anyone you want... it doesn't affect me in the least.

The only reason you think this tool is a team leader is because ESPN told you to think so. I have already given you examples of things he did to prove to you he isn't a team leader and you can't come up with a single example of anything he has ever done to show his leadership capabilities??? That is sad. Many teammates take others under their wing and teach them the ropes, or they put someone in their place when they are out line. There are many ways to prove leadership and you can't come up with a single one.

It doesn't matter how many rings or how many years he was a Yankee before A-Rod got there, if he were the leader you say he is he should have stepped aside for the good of the team. He also could have stood up for A-Rod when he was having a tough time; as a matter of fact, that is exactly what a good captain would do, but all the articles written at the time tell how Jeter turned his back on his teammate.

I don't have to embarrass you, you're doing a fine job of embarrassing yourself with this dick envy you have for Jeter... let the man-crush go. I still can't believe you started a post with, "I'm tired of the bashing and hating." Are you 11 years old? Wow.

bikerider60

Aug 8, 2008
Jackson, NJ

Mozzie22 said:
sportscardtheory said:
Mozzie22 said:
Hey sportcardtheory-

I don't know how many times I have to embarrass you on this same topic. In two separate posts I have asked you to defend Jeter's so called "leadership ability." You ignored them and I just assumed you accepted defeat. I guess not because you start another post about this turd. Please, Please, I am begging you; defend this tool's leadership ability.

You CAN'T be serious... how could you or I possibly prove ANY player is a team leader??? Why don't YOU prove to us that ANY player has ever been a leader. It's just KNOWN... if he wasn't a team leader, no one would have ever said he was. I'm not in the locker room, so I have to go by history and hear-say. Give it up already...

P.S. You have not and never WILL embarrass me in any way, shape or form... I could not care less about your hatred of a future all-time great baseball player. You can dislike anyone you want... it doesn't affect me in the least.

The only reason you think this tool is a team leader is because ESPN told you to think so. I have already given you examples of things he did to prove to you he isn't a team leader and you can't come up with a single example of anything he has ever done to show his leadership capabilities??? That is sad. Many teammates take others under their wing and teach them the ropes, or they put someone in their place when they are out line. There are many ways to prove leadership and you can't come up with a single one.

It doesn't matter how many rings or how many years he was a Yankee before A-Rod got there, if he were the leader you say he is he should have stepped aside for the good of the team. He also could have stood up for A-Rod when he was having a tough time; as a matter of fact, that is exactly what a good captain would do, but all the articles written at the time tell how Jeter turned his back on his teammate.

I don't have to embarrass you, you're doing a fine job of embarrassing yourself with this dick envy you have for Jeter... let the man-crush go. I still can't believe you started a post with, "I'm tired of the bashing and hating." Are you 11 years old? Wow.
All I can say is... your talkin' out your *******, or you are the rusty TOOL in the Shed. Jeter is a fine example of a Team leader. I just get sick of reading these Jeter bashing threads. ...3000 is coming.........................

Long live the King

92lsjeter.jpg

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina

Mozzie22 said:
sportscardtheory said:
Mozzie22 said:
Hey sportcardtheory-

I appreciate your view on Jeter. Its obvious that you are probably an Andy Stankiewicz master collector and I can understand your dismay in some young pup coming up from the ranks and pushing Stankie right out the door. Its OK though. I understand completely. I heard he's making a comeback though in the Quittabeeina Trollordick League.

People have the right to make their opinions on players. I know you have the right to as well, but the way you come off is a tad bit out of line. Its not about trying to make someone look foolish in this thread. Its about talking about a player that, whether he is the best or not, has had a good career and has done nothing but help the game of baseball gain fans and excite youngsters for years.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

blanning71 said:
Mozzie22 said:
sportscardtheory said:
Mozzie22 said:
Hey sportcardtheory-

I appreciate your view on Jeter. Its obvious that you are probably an Andy Stankiewicz master collector and I can understand your dismay in some young pup coming up from the ranks and pushing Stankie right out the door. Its OK though. I understand completely. I heard he's making a comeback though in the Quittabeeina Trollordick League.

People have the right to make their opinions on players. I know you have the right to as well, but the way you come off is a tad bit out of line. Its not about trying to make someone look foolish in this thread. Its about talking about a player that, whether he is the best or not, has had a good career and has done nothing but help the game of baseball gain fans and excite youngsters for years.

as someone that couldnt care less about derek jeter, i dont see how his post is "out of line" other than mentioning the male genetalia.

i dont see derek jeter as someone that excites any youngsters that arent under the grasp of the yankee myth.

just because all those years ago, he excited you and made you a fan, shouldnt and doesnt mean that that applies to the rest of the baseball world.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina

I never said that Eric. I understand that people will have different views about Jeter. Thats fine with me. I love a good conversation about the relevance someone has had in the league. I just didn't necessarily agree with how he was trying to jack up the OP. I just love how I try to keep things calm in here and people automatically think I am labeling them as Jeter bashers.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

blanning71 said:
I never said that Eric. I understand that people will have different views about Jeter. Thats fine with me. I love a good conversation about the relevance someone has had in the league. I just didn't necessarily agree with how he was trying to jack up the OP. I just love how I try to keep things calm in here and people automatically think I am labeling them as Jeter bashers.

ive not followed the rivalry that the OP and the user in question (UIQ) here have had, but it seems that the UIQ has challenged the OP in at least one other thread. Now, if im wrong here, then i am sorry.

Now, as for Jeter. remember that i live in new york and who i work for. i know all about derek jeter.
hes going into the HOF (the importance/worthlessness of the HOF in 2008 is a WHOLE other topic),
theres not many that think otherwise.

But he is definately on the down side of his career bell curve. GDPs and soft singles are his main
offensive weapons nowadays.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina

I won't argue your last comment. No problem with that. He's had his better years. Sure. You see though, that when I was a kid, my friends actually wanted to play like Jeter as he was playing in Greensboro and we heard alot about him down here. I wanted to play like him. We tried our damndest to sling the ball across the diamond with the speed and seemingly effortless motions that he had. Sorry, I guess I am just going to be lumped in with all the Yankee fanatics and people will say I have my head up his ass too. Thats fine.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

blanning71 said:
I won't argue your last comment. No problem with that. He's had his better years. Sure. You see though, that when I was a kid, my friends actually wanted to play like Jeter as he was playing in Greensboro and we heard alot about him down here. I wanted to play like him. We tried our damndest to sling the ball across the diamond with the speed and seemingly effortless motions that he had. Sorry, I guess I am just going to be lumped in with all the Yankee fanatics and people will say I have my head up his ass too. Thats fine.

its always refreshing to see when someone can admit their short comings ;)

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina

Well love me or hate me, I'm not changing for you and I'm still gonna root for Jeter. Perhaps he will be the first player ever to play his position using a walker or assisted machine. Where's that vintage picture of the guy with the super oversized glove? Perhaps we need to give that to him to make plays from now on..............damn that was a classic photo. I wish I knew who it was of....google here I come!

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States

blanning71 said:
Well love me or hate me, I'm not changing for you and I'm still gonna root for Jeter. Perhaps he will be the first player ever to play his position using a walker or assisted machine. Where's that vintage picture of the guy with the super oversized glove? Perhaps we need to give that to him to make plays from now on..............damn that was a classic photo. I wish I knew who it was of....google here I come!

hahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahah

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

cgilmo said:
blanning71 said:

hahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahah

might be the best use for "+1"............................ever!

LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts