Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The "Sleeper" Card Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
EricInCT said:
Dellin Betances Yankees - Will be the next Joba. His cards aren't cheap, but can easily double if he makes the team.

Chris Dickerson Reds - By default will be starting in left field for the reds this season. Only played in 31 games last year but had a dozen extra base hits and surprising power. Chrome is less than a buck and has only one main product, 06 chrome.

Two things...

Pence's 2006 BC is not auto'd

Chris Dickerson has an Auto in 2006 Bowman

mazarazz

Aug 7, 2008
EricInCT said:
Dellin Betances Yankees - Will be the next Joba. His cards aren't cheap, but can easily double if he makes the team.

Chris Dickerson Reds - By default will be starting in left field for the reds this season. Only played in 31 games last year but had a dozen extra base hits and surprising power. Chrome is less than a buck and has only one main product, 06 chrome.

Dickerson actually has autos in 06 Bowman and 06 Sterling, as well as a base card in 06 Sterling.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
ThoseBackPages said:
EricInCT said:

Two things...

I meant 2007

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
carlitoson said:
Jaypers said:
99TT Crawford Auto

When that set released, I grabbed one and my autograph was Crawford. I was disappointed because I was really hoping for Corey Patterson or Sean Burroughs. If not them, then Pat Burrell. :lol:

Sometimes the card Gods know what they're doing.

I wrote my college essay about this card; bought them up at around $5-$10 per copy, as well as a million Chrome's and parallels for pennies. First investment that made me thousands of dollars back in HS.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
JoshHamilton said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":aewrivyh]
There are 99 or less of each of these, but since they were left unnumbered, nobody knows that

But somehow you know that?

Ok I misspoke. Let me try again:

There are 99 or less of each of these, but since they were left unnumbered, MOST people are unaware of how rare they are.

I don't think you understood the nature of my question. How do you personally know there are only 99 Leaf Limited cards produced of each player? There are only three possible answers-

1. You're basing your assumption on the initial Prime Cuts sell sheet which stated the LL cards would be serially numbered to 99. Of course, anyone who has ever seen any sell sheets knows damn well they're almost never accurate since many changes are made to a product in the time between sending out a sell sheet and packing out the final product. The fact that these aren't serially numbered should be enough to tip you off to that

2. You personally know someone who works at Donruss who can confirm the actual print run is 99. I highly doubt that.

3. The most likely scenario, you didn't mention anything about suspected LL print runs until you stocked up on the stupid cards in your sig, and now you're trying to artificially inflate their value by making up figures about their perceived scarcity.

Until you know for a fact what the print runs are, how about you be quiet? Spreading lies in the hobby for your own personal benefit is pathetic
[/quote:aewrivyh]

This is insanely presumptuous and as said by another member, quite harsh...

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
EricInCT said:

Two things...

Yes, that is what I meant. Bowman and chrome only. Not EEE or Leaf, or contenders, UD, etc.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
mazarazz said:
EricInCT said:

Dickerson actually has autos in 06 Bowman and 06 Sterling, as well as a base card in 06 Sterling.

Correct. What I meant was that besides sterling and bowman& chrome there is no other rookie cards for him. Put his name in ebay and you will find maybe 10 total. Much easier to collect then a prospect who is found in 6-7 different product.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
JoshHamilton said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":sxeg9ecd]
There are 99 or less of each of these, but since they were left unnumbered, nobody knows that

There are 99 or less of each of these, but since they were left unnumbered, MOST people are unaware of how rare they are.

I don't think you understood the nature of my question. How do you personally know there are only 99 Leaf Limited cards produced of each player? There are only three possible answers-

1. You're basing your assumption on the initial Prime Cuts sell sheet which stated the LL cards would be serially numbered to 99. Of course, anyone who has ever seen any sell sheets knows damn well they're almost never accurate since many changes are made to a product in the time between sending out a sell sheet and packing out the final product. The fact that these aren't serially numbered should be enough to tip you off to that

2. You personally know someone who works at Donruss who can confirm the actual print run is 99. I highly doubt that.

3. The most likely scenario, you didn't mention anything about suspected LL print runs until you stocked up on the stupid cards in your sig, and now you're trying to artificially inflate their value by making up figures about their perceived scarcity.

Until you know for a fact what the print runs are, how about you be quiet? Spreading lies in the hobby for your own personal benefit is pathetic[/quote:sxeg9ecd]

Wow chill out, you're way out of line here.

I'm basing this off of the sell sheet information and the very limited number of these cards that I have seen hit eBay in comparison to other prime cuts autos. For all I or anyone knows, this number could be way off. But I don't think so.

If you have such a big problem with me or anything I say, you are more than welcome to PM me to talk about it. Otherwise, why don't you just mind your own business instead of publicly insulting me, because it makes you sound like a little kid.

lvdan

Aug 25, 2008
sleeping soundly:
minors hitter- Gabriel Sanchez 2007 Bowman Chrome stuff
Drew Stubbs 2007 Donruss EEE Autos
minors pitcher-Jeremy Jeffress Sterling 2007 Bowman Sterling(under $10?)

MLB hitter- Kendry Morales 2005 autos(spa,spx ud update)
MLB pitcher- Jonathan Sanchez 05 BC

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Jason Bay - 02 Finest Auto

Lots of protection in the Boston line-up and he'll get to pelt the baseball into and over the green monster all year long.

They go for $30ish raw...I just picked up a 9.5 for $50 smackaroundskies.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I don't have many but I'd like to think 1993 Finest Refractors will become more valuable again. Future collectors might want to have all the base refractors from the first set all the way up to the current set.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I got word from Donruss, they will not be announcing print runs on the Limited or the Contenders previews. So I really doubt there are just 99 of them.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
EricInCT said:

And Sterling....

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Cards that I think could be big this year (that have gotten almost no focus.)

1999 Topps Traded Alfonso Soriano Autograph-Card seems to have been forgotten. His numbers last season were great for a shortened season, and I still believe he could end up a HOFer (especially considering he played 2B for a number of years.)

Elijah Dukes Chrome and Auto's-There's no one that offers as much potential gain (relative to buy-in price) as Dukes. He could just as easily be worthless (probably more easily) in a year from now, but at the current prices it seems like a reasonable venture.

Lastings Milledge RC Auto's-Still young, and now really cheap.

edit:
As someone else mentioned, Jason Bay. 1 Rookie Autograph, and it's a chance to buy a guy who has all the benefits of playing in Boston, without paying the Boston premium.

JEA2880 said:
I wrote my college essay about this card; bought them up at around $5-$10 per copy, as well as a million Chrome's and parallels for pennies. First investment that made me thousands of dollars back in HS.
Any chance you still have it? I'd love to read it. I only got in at $10-$15 apiece and with limited funds, but it's been a long time since those prices.

ccolwell

Aug 7, 2008
NC
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":3vhzo1ba]
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":3vhzo1ba]

Until you know for a fact what the print runs are, how about you be quiet? Spreading lies in the hobby for your own personal benefit is pathetic[/quote:3vhzo1ba]

Wow chill out, you're way out of line here.

I'm basing this off of the sell sheet information and the very limited number of these cards that I have seen hit eBay in comparison to other prime cuts autos. For all I or anyone knows, this number could be way off. But I don't think so.

If you have such a big problem with me or anything I say, you are more than welcome to PM me to talk about it. Otherwise, why don't you just mind your own business instead of publicly insulting me, because it makes you sound like a little kid.[/quote:3vhzo1ba]

Do not waste your time on this guy. He has a very big tendency of not thinking before he speaks.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
colts1888 said:
EricInCT said:
Brandon Morrow. Went from the Ms bullpen to a starter late in the 08 season, poised for a big year and name recognition in 2009. Chrome is a buck.

Hope your right might be gettign 10 chrome rookies and 2 refractoes of his

:D

Members online

Latest posts