Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Inks Bryce Harper Exclusively

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
masonphillip said:
cgilmo said:
Today we can officially announce that we've signed Bryce Harper to an exclusive deal. Details, including product info, to come tomorrow.

C'mon Topps, at least as a BDP base card please!

They're passing up a golden opportunity to include his AFLAC auto, IMO.

Like I said, I'd be quite happy if it was just a base card even!

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
goldenegg1 said:
Is anyone suprised by this?
Did anyone actually think anyone else had a shot at signing him?

One company offered more than Topps and was one step away from inking Harper but backed out and decided to wait to make baseball products for at least a year.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
masonphillip said:
Jaypers said:
masonphillip said:
cgilmo said:
Today we can officially announce that we've signed Bryce Harper to an exclusive deal. Details, including product info, to come tomorrow.

Agreed, in this case I would even be happy with a redemption to be filled later.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
masonphillip said:
cgilmo said:

Who says they are passing it up, they can include it in a future product too and get the same bonus. Why not spread out the bonus they get.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Predictions?

I'm betting on another stellar Bowman release next spring. Why not do EXACTLY the same thing they did with Strasburg? It's that, or try to cram him into a pre-set product and look silly (I do like the AFLAC suggestion though). He might make 2011 Topps Red-Hot Rookies something to behold, even if he never gets a card.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Tom Oates said:
masonphillip said:
Jaypers said:
masonphillip said:
cgilmo said:

Agreed, in this case I would even be happy with a redemption to be filled later.

A base card would constitute a First Card notation making anything in 2011 not a First Card. I'm sure Topps is planning to inundate us with Harper in 2011 the way they have with Strasburg this year (more to come).

I would be pleased as punch to have Harper included as an AFLAC auto in 2010 BDP though...that makes sense and would be a HUGE addition to that product.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Harper should be saved for 2011 with the exception of an AFLAC card in BDP. Thank goodness that Leaf didn't ink him. That would severely weaken the entire roster of 2011 MLB products. Leaf/Razor has yet to produce a baseball product that created any mainstream collecting buzz or that has shown itself to be a good investment. Having them with an exclusive to the most hyped hitting prospect in many years would have been "bad for the hobby." That might change if Leaf somehow got an MLB license, but I personally would prefer for Panini to get the opportunity to challenge Topps rather than Leaf.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Most interesting.

Jaypers said:
Me, pretending to be surprised. :eek:

Thanks to a certain source, I was aware of this several weeks ago, but wasn't allowed to say. :cool:

Looking forward to the press release.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
cgilmo said:
Jaypers said:
PeteD said:
cgilmo said:
Topps was the clear favorite

but there were dark horse canidates

I wonder if it was Panini...that would explain no #27 in the set.

It was Leaf.

There were others.

NO, THERE WERE NOT!

dontwanta.gif

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Thank goodness that Leaf didn't ink him. That would severely weaken the entire roster of 2011 MLB products.

Sounds really weird: An MiLB player not in a MLB product will severly weaken MLB products...

I'm happy only in that Topps could use him in their MiLB products now.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
uniquebaseballcards said:
Thank goodness that Leaf didn't ink him. That would severely weaken the entire roster of 2011 MLB products.

Sounds really weird: An MiLB player not in a MLB product will severly weaken MLB products...

II'm happy only in that Topps could use him in their MiLB products now.
Your level of ocd makes me obsess about my ocd a little less everytime I read your posts.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
James52411 said:
Harper should be saved for 2011 with the exception of an AFLAC card in BDP. Thank goodness that Leaf didn't ink him. That would severely weaken the entire roster of 2011 MLB products. Leaf/Razor has yet to produce a baseball product that created any mainstream collecting buzz or that has shown itself to be a good investment. Having them with an exclusive to the most hyped hitting prospect in many years would have been "bad for the hobby." That might change if Leaf somehow got an MLB license, but I personally would prefer for Panini to get the opportunity to challenge Topps rather than Leaf.

There was no reason to believe that Leaf had any intention of making baseball cards if they inked Harper. I believe the intention was to turnaround and resell autos at a markup and sell auto'd merch. I believe that was the gist of the convo I had with BG in Baltimore.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
BowmanChromeAddict said:
James52411 said:

There was no reason to believe that Leaf had any intention of making baseball cards if they inked Harper. I believe the intention was to turnaround and resell autos at a markup and sell auto'd merch. I believe that was the gist of the convo I had with BG in Baltimore.

That be it, I remember that conversation vividly.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
justinmandawg said:
uniquebaseballcards said:

I'm happy only in that Topps could use him in their MiLB products now.
Your level of ocd makes me obsess about my ocd a little less everytime I read your posts.

Nah, you're just one of those hopelessly entrenched in an artificial reality created by the Topps Corporation here with their Bowman line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts