Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What happened to the transactions section?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peterose4hof

Mar 23, 2011
There used to be a lot of action over there, but now it's like a ghost town. Where did everyone go?

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
My best guess? Blowout. It's shocking how quickly threads are created over there. I've gotten used to checking transactions at BO and having my hobby discussion over here.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I STILL can't log into the new site from work and it's too much trouble copying and pasting pics on my iPhone so I sell on SCF and Blowout usually. The new site killed my participation here, or at least severely crippled it

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Unfortunatly, FCB has obtained a reputation as being a place where only 'steals' will be bought/sold. At least this is what I hear from time to time. Also, Facebook is exploding with trade/sell sportscards groups and they are growing exponentially. The few I am a member of literally have dozens, if not more trades and sales happening daily, and the realtime layout of the chat makes it a bit easier imho...

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I have noticed a decline as well.
The app is very easy to use. I keep it and photobucket in the bottom 4 of my iPhone making it much easier to post pics in a timely fashion.

I think the problem is the niche collector that FCB features which is prospectors. Once Bowman products are released transaction threads always pick up. We need an influx of non prospectors and other sport collectors to join or the baseball transaction forums will get stagnant like the other sport forums already are.

The FCB community doesn't seem to collect other sports, collect teams, players or break wax other than Bowman. I use the others for transactions but find the discussion threads far superior on FCB.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I just think FCB needs to be FCB and not worry about what and/or how other forums are doing. Websites have a way of taking on a life of their own and this has played out here in a way that created a prospector haven. Sure all parts of our hobby are present also in varying degrees, but the overwhelming majority of active users are investors, prospectors, sellers. This is what FCB is and to try and change that, go against the grain as it were, could verywell damage the core fabric of FCB and implode. If it were me, I would embrace the FCB niche and simply try and expand on that by enhancing the investors, prospectors, and sellers expierence to make it the best place to be for the kind.

As social media outlest explode with group pages for collectors, the pool of potential new members is dwindling. Forget expansion, keeping who we have here should be a main focus as other alternatives are sprouting left and right. THe days of a small handful of hobby related websites dominating, with thousands of members (and growing) are over. The new direction of the web expierence is a more close knit social expierence, the kind facebook and the like exploite. To grow a hobby site like FCB you HAVE to collect your share of 'new to the hobby' members. The problem here is that most who may become new to the hobby already are involved with social media outlets that offer everything they want or need.

In the end, I really think that websites like this are a dying breed and I am not sure there is anything one can do to sustain it, let alone grow it. But to do so one would have to give good reason to leave the ease and accessability of ones already comfort zone (social media) and I just do not think relying on a few highlighted articles and member base knowledge is going to do it. In the dynamics of todays web, expecially a site that functions in concept to make money, you NEED to give something back to the member base, something that a social media group expierence does not. The trick is finding ways to do that.

Anyway, just my 2.

EDIT: Just to add, the 2 FB groups I am a member of (and there are dozens, perhaps more) have over 700 members between them, almost NONE of which know anything about dedicated sites like this and with the high volume of selling, buying, trading, and instant interaction available, I can not see any of them venturing off without good reason or promotion.

Last edited:

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Unfortunatly, FCB has obtained a reputation as being a place where only 'steals' will be bought/sold. At least this is what I hear from time to time. Also, Facebook is exploding with trade/sell sportscards groups and they are growing exponentially. The few I am a member of literally have dozens, if not more trades and sales happening daily, and the realtime layout of the chat makes it a bit easier imho...

Generally true. I've posted some pretty decent stuff on here and hear not a peep. I've tried some 90's sets, some pretty solid Cubs autos, some good 90s inserts, and not a single offer. It's just not worth my time to create a post with pictures to see if anyone will make purchases.

Everyone wants a decent deal for themselves, but because FCB is prospector-centric, I think you either need to be selling prospect cards primarily, and high end modern cards secondarily, or you are wasting your time trying to sell on here. Additionally, the prospector mindset of maximizing profit in every transaction means that most purchasers on non-prospect cards are looking for a steal that they can flip, or they won't be interested.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Generally true. I've posted some pretty decent stuff on here and hear not a peep. I've tried some 90's sets, some pretty solid Cubs autos, some good 90s inserts, and not a single offer. It's just not worth my time to create a post with pictures to see if anyone will make purchases.

Everyone wants a decent deal for themselves, but because FCB is prospector-centric, I think you either need to be selling prospect cards primarily, and high end modern cards secondarily, or you are wasting your time trying to sell on here. Additionally, the prospector mindset of maximizing profit in every transaction means that most purchasers on non-prospect cards are looking for a steal that they can flip, or they won't be interested.

Yep, I agree. But to be fair, anywhere you go people are looking to make out on a transaction, thats just the nature of the hobby. Having said that, the extreme is when people will only be interested if they are greatly making out in a strict financial mannor. That seems to be the case here, one mind you that I am not saying is right or wrong, but as you pointed out, the prospector mindset is to make a profit and in every potential transaction needs to fufill these ends then you are left with a all but stagnent transaction board.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I agree that it's prospector-centric, but every site is loaded with people looking to not only get a good deal, but to just rob you. I actually think this is MUCH worse on SCF and Blowout, though. I will list a $50 eBay-value card on those sites for $40 and either have someone offer me $25 or offer me a $15 card in trade. I'd rather get no PMs than have to waste my time on that garbage

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I mainly do my transactions on blowout now. 99% of what I deal in is non-sports and sports like boxing so there is much more traffic and interest for that kinda stuff over there. Baseball is dead to me.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I agree that it's prospector-centric, but every site is loaded with people looking to not only get a good deal, but to just rob you. I actually think this is MUCH worse on SCF and Blowout, though. I will list a $50 eBay-value card on those sites for $40 and either have someone offer me $25 or offer me a $15 card in trade. I'd rather get no PMs than have to waste my time on that garbage

I'll agree with you there. I think every time a person sells on these sites there needs to be a disclaimer: "If you are going to make a lowball offer, please know that I am aware of eBay, and am not interested in selling items for a fraction of the money I can get on there. Thanks."

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I'll agree with you there. I think every time a person sells on these sites there needs to be a disclaimer: "If you are going to make a lowball offer, please know that I am aware of eBay, and am not interested in selling items for a fraction of the money I can get on there. Thanks."

god yes

Another thing I hate, the statement "well, I have to make money on it too!"

You hear this from people who fancy themselves dealers. Well, I got news for you bub, you making money on a card isn't my responsibility.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
god yes

You hear this from people who fancy themselves dealers. Well, I got news for you bub, you making money on a card isn't my responsibility.

I agree. For me the rule of thumb is that I'm willing to give a slight market rate discount if I can avoid eBay. However, I'm not going to leave a bunch of money on the table. I imagine almost every seller with any experience in this hobby thinks the same way.

People need to go by the same rules when buying. If you want the item, realize you'll need to pay close to market rate.

Last edited:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
god yes

True....but him not losing money on a card is his responsibility not yours too.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
...I think the problem is the niche collector that FCB features which is prospectors. Once Bowman products are released transaction threads always pick up. We need an influx of non prospectors and other sport collectors to join or the baseball transaction forums will get stagnant like the other sport forums already are.

The FCB community doesn't seem to collect other sports, collect teams, players or break wax other than Bowman. I use the others for transactions but find the discussion threads far superior on FCB.

I agree with this. Collectors (compared to investors/prospectors) are more likely to hang around in the hobby for the long haul because their interest is primarily what the hobby is all about - cards.

The long-term hobby is built on collectors, seems the same can be said of baseball card message boards!

Members online

Latest posts