Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is the best way to sell this piece?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
I am looking to sell my Zach Wheat full signature social security card piece depicted below, but do not know the best way to go about selling it. If I consign to a major auction house, how much % do they take out of the final sale? Also, I am worried that I cannot get the money I want for it on eBay or a forum (no offense!).

I have tried the vintage forum and it has not worked. I actually did buy this piece on eBay but do not think it making a reappearance there would be a smart idea. It was originally sold in a Huggins and Scott October 2008 Auction. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can sell this best?

WheatCut.png

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I would check the Net54 boards for some more info.You might even be able to sell it there.They deal in vintage almost exclusively.
Mike

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Well if I had to suggest an auction house then hands down I would suggest REA.Lifson is one of the last good guys left in the hobby.You can submit your questions about the item right through their website.
Mike

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Without knowing much about Wheat.... I thought $150 when I first saw it.

Am I way off?

Its such an oddball item.... would a Wheat collector pay alot for it?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:

Am I way off?

Well, he is a HOF'er who still holds some Doger records, so it will have value. but the nature of the piece would perhaps have less of a value as opposed to something baseball related, or even a blank index card for that matter(to me that is). Personally, if it sold for more than $500 I would be shocked. Unless there is something I do not know about and this is the only known example of his sig ever. Having said that, if the OP can not get reasonable offers throughout the hobby messageboard world, and feels ebay and it's plethora of hobby finatics would not do it justice, I fail to see how paying a auction house would be any better with this perticular item.

I would just list it at .99 and let it ride..

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
P_Manning 18 said:

Am I way off?

I would pay more than that for it. That piece is something I would love to have if the price is right :p

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
It is a unique piece however unless you find the one person wanting it is really no better than a $200-$300 check imho.

89c5_12.jpg

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
No offense, but REA wouldn't take it.

I'd say it's probably worth less than the check since there are check collectors, but no Social Security Card collectors that I know of. The full signature is not even necessarily a good thing, kind of like the GH Ruth signatures. Also, Wheat is not a particularly rare signature, so I'd say it's probably worth, at the very most, $150.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
George_Calfas said:
It is a unique piece however unless you find the one person wanting it is really no better than a $200-$300 check imho.

89c5_12.jpg

+1 the ink skipping autograph dont help the value much either.

Members online

Latest posts