Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Future of Ichiro cards..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
@Leaf - Brian, I have a few ideas either for a set or across your next few products.

1. Keep the autograph print runs LOW! Meaning, don't saturate the market with so many Ichiro autos that they become both easy to get as well as a slight decline in value due to high print runs. In my opinion, keeping his print runs low as well as tough to get maintains value and want-ability.

2. Keep the autographs ON CARD! If, and I do only mean if, you have/get more sticker autographs please keep those specific to any sort of non hobby/retail store release. Those would be good to go after cheap $20 blasters to chase after an Ichiro autograph.

3. The Ichiro Valiant cards were a HUGE hit. Great looking card, and the parallel chases are always popular.

4. Have installed into one of your products low numbered but variation style on card patch autographs. The trifecta would be to have 3 variations as a Mariners logo patch on card autograph, a Yankees logo patch on card autograph, and one I think would bring maximum value being a WBC Japanese logo patch on card autograph. If you could keep those to low /10 or /5 print runs this would also allow maximum value as well as left over material to include into future sets.

5. Snag a few 2004 Bowman chrome refractor Japanese back RC cards to have him sign on card and use as a buyback if possible. They are AMAZING in person and Mill Creek really did those well which I was lucky to get before they ran out:
august24ichirofront.jpg
august24ichiroback.jpg

6. To repeat, I think it is important to stick to low numbered on card autographs and ensure to not maximize the number of Ichiro autographs out there. Keeping that both low as well as a challenge to pull would also keep value on your product as well in my opinion.

7. Lastly, it was nice meeting you at the National :)

Thanks!

Alex

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
5. Snag a few 2004 Bowman chrome refractor Japanese back RC cards to have him sign on card and use as a buyback if possible.
Japanese cards would be cool, but please no American Bowman buybacks in a Leaf product, or any buybacks from other companies other than Leaf.
It's just amateurish to use another company's products. Reminds me of TriStar grab bag retail packs.
Do you really think Topps would ever do a product with Leaf, Fleer, Upper Deck or Panini full buyback cards in a Topps product?

Japanese buybacks are a different story since they're not available in America and they're not a competing product here.
But I really think Leaf should just come up with its own designs.
Leaf has shown that it can make good looking cards. If only MLB would wise up and give Leaf a logo license.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Brian, you still don't receive any respect from me, you screwed me a couple of times, and you'll never get another chance. I could care less about Ichiro cards. ****.

I wanted to talk to you about our differences at the Natty, but you ran like a scared rabbit.

HUH? Anyone that knows or has met me knows I do not avoid confrontation (one of my faults), I live to debate/discuss/resolve... As I tell my wife, pick up the phone and get it all out... Grudges are for the weak..
214-519-1078... My personal celll phone.. call anytime... BG

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Japanese buybacks are a different story since they're not available in America and they're not a competing product here.

I really like this idea, and it's definitely something that has not been done before. He's got over 200 Japanese cards to choose from. For the biggest impact I'd suggest his three main rookies (BBM, Calbee and Takara), but any would be nice. If you were to get any of the lesser known cards graded, might have to rattle Beckett's cage to get them to actually recognize any cards they don't already list. Beckett does a terrible job cataloging Japanese cards.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Limited/numbered base cards. Like 1 per. Don't sell a full set of worthless base cards. Make the set a chase as well

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
And this is good for the hobby how? When 10 year old little Jimmy gets his parents to buy him a few packs of cards, or a blaster, or a box, and is unable to get his favorite player, Ichiro, how is this a good thing?

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
When Ichiro gets close to Rose( assuming he does) on the record for hits ( I know combining them doesn't make it a record) make a dual auto/patch/jersey card.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Don't know if this is feasible but....

Fifteen years ago, fleer did a 50 card golden moments set across all its brands. Whoever completed it won a million bucks (although the last 5 cards were nearly impossible to find).

Maybe do a career set of him spread across your products and whoever completes it gets to meet ichiro and have practice with him.

Obviously, some of the cards would be super hard to get, maybe even a one of one.

But this way, maybe collectors who wouldn't buy, say, b.o.b., might just for the chance of landing an ichiro card.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Brian, you still don't receive any respect from me, you screwed me a couple of times, and you'll never get another chance. I could care less about Ichiro cards. ****.

I wanted to talk to you about our differences at the Natty, but you ran like a scared rabbit.

Ralph

I'm gonna ask you to do this one more time. Avoid leaf threads where you can't be constructive. This is an unprovoked attack.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
There are a couple huge Ichiro collectors...I'd find them and pick their brains.

Obviously he's a legend in Japan, so definitely something appealing to that market as well is key.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I can't believe this is even a discussion. If Ichiro walked away today, he'd make the HOF in five years. He's averaged 207 hits in a 13 year career, has a career BA of .320, plus the already-mentioned 10 consecutive Gold Gloves, 10 consecutive all-star appearances, MVP, ROY.

By the way, do you really have to ask for Alex Rodriguez cards twice in every one of your posts? Sheesh.

/grumpy
/nitpicky

This.

I may have missed it, and without reading the entire thread, why is Topps not carrying Ichiro anymore?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
How about a set just about ichiro "international hit king." Say 50 cards and one sticker signature per box? What that's been done already. Just playing around.

Honestly, I'd be all over that if they did it for Ichiro. I'm not worried about having something mega rare. If Leaf can get me an auto of a guy like Ichiro and a nice set to go along with it for $40 or $50, I'd be all over it. Even if it was a little more I'd probably still bite. Sadly I doubt they could pull it off for this price. But personally I'd like his auto. It doesn't have to super high end.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
Honestly, I'd be all over that if they did it for Ichiro. I'm not worried about having something mega rare. If Leaf can get me an auto of a guy like Ichiro and a nice set to go along with it for $40 or $50, I'd be all over it. Even if it was a little more I'd probably still bite. Sadly I doubt they could pull it off for this price. But personally I'd like his auto. It doesn't have to super high end.

I agree on getting an auto of ichiro. But what happened in the Rose set could happen here to. Pete is a signing wizard. Bob feller was the signing king but rose is close. I know BG wouldn't have it happen again and I have loved most of leaf new products. I think Ichiro is a huge property and BG will do well by him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts