Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"Prospect Rush" is live.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Another monster pulled tonight on Blowout forums...a 2011 Bowman Chrome Ryan lavarnaway gold refractor 9.5. I do believe it has a value of roughly $12-15

Sick gold but oh well what can you say, you win some you lose some. /every postaboutabreak

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
That motto should be emblazoned on every box of this stuff shouldn't it? Every box break of this stuff I have read that.

My favorite are the video breakers, who after a couple of boxes in to a case are starting to feign excitement for the pulls. "..and...a 2010 Taylor Teagarden Gold Refractor 9.5.......Alright....Ok!! Nice pull, nice pull...still 8 boxes to go."

WaxPax

Another monster pulled tonight on Blowout forums...a 2011 Bowman Chrome Ryan lavarnaway gold refractor 9.5. I do believe it has a value of roughly $12-15

When will these people learn this stuff is garbage....but I guess it's not the first time people have had bad idea's.....

BadIdeas_zpsd33f2da9.jpg

img-330480-2-BadIdea_zpsf68ab5ee.jpg

bad-ideas-bad-idea-dog-hump-demotivational-posters-1307130271_zps3ed2245a.jpg

bad-ticket-1_zps5c8210db.jpg

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
So I guess its safe to assume with the amount of trashy boxes being broken that a bunch of stuffed ones with tons of value are on the way? I mean it was a sorting issue at the 3rd party packaging plant right? At least that's the story we where fed. Or has the story changed since last I heard?

Because if there was a sorting issue and tons of crap breaks are happening the obvious next thing is for a ton of stuffed boxes should be on the horizon? I cant wait for all the boxes yielding tons of hits since there was an error. That is if that 3rd party error story is true. I must admit I laughed the entire time typing that.

Last edited:

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
The third party probably decided to split up some of the lower end hits so they could keep the high end hits.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
This is directed at the company. I have not opened product but my time in biz school compels me to offer a thought:

The number of awful breaks are really hard to swallow. I don't know what the average ROI on the product was but an earlier post (by the company) indicated that it was pretty high. Assuming this is the case, the issue is (almost certainly) a very high variance in the values (a few really high-value cards which need to be averaged with some pretty weak hits). While having something like the Soler in the set makes for a really nice chase card, it also costs the same as 25 boxes (IIRC and $200 is the price). This means a lot of really weak boxes to make this set equitable for the company. While one or two really high-end cards are needed for the ads, it is worth considering whether having an abundance of such high-end cards are really beneficial for the product.

If for example, instead of the $5000 Soler as the #1 card you used a $2000 card as the top hit, you could have inserted 20 more $150 cards into the boxes or 12 more $250 cards. That's a pretty decent number more satisfied customers from swapping out 1 high end card.

My advice if you do this again: Spend the bulk of the money on cards in the $100-$300 range. Have a couple of higher-end hits that are in the ads, but beyond that, work to find the balance that will make the most people happy. The Soler will make one collector happy. Having a $2000 top hit and 12 more $250 hits, would make 13 collectors happy (at the same cost to the company). If I am correct in assuming that people pull a $150 card will be pretty satisfied (especially a nice colored parallel with some potential) you could have had 21 satisfied customers for the same cost. This is using the Soler as an example, but my guess is there are other cards where the money might have been better "spread out".

Of course all of this assumes you are providing a relatively high average ROI in the boxes. People are ok taking a gamble and losing, but there's a limit...

hohlernr

Dec 1, 2012
Michigan
This is directed at the company. I have not opened product but my time in biz school compels me to offer a thought:

The number of awful breaks are really hard to swallow. I don't know what the average ROI on the product was but an earlier post (by the company) indicated that it was pretty high. Assuming this is the case, the issue is (almost certainly) a very high variance in the values (a few really high-value cards which need to be averaged with some pretty weak hits). While having something like the Soler in the set makes for a really nice chase card, it also costs the same as 25 boxes (IIRC and $200 is the price). This means a lot of really weak boxes to make this set equitable for the company. While one or two really high-end cards are needed for the ads, it is worth considering whether having an abundance of such high-end cards are really beneficial for the product.

If for example, instead of the $5000 Soler as the #1 card you used a $2000 card as the top hit, you could have inserted 20 more $150 cards into the boxes or 12 more $250 cards. That's a pretty decent number more satisfied customers from swapping out 1 high end card.

My advice if you do this again: Spend the bulk of the money on cards in the $100-$300 range. Have a couple of higher-end hits that are in the ads, but beyond that, work to find the balance that will make the most people happy. The Soler will make one collector happy. Having a $2000 top hit and 12 more $250 hits, would make 13 collectors happy (at the same cost to the company). If I am correct in assuming that people pull a $150 card will be pretty satisfied (especially a nice colored parallel with some potential) you could have had 21 satisfied customers for the same cost. This is using the Soler as an example, but my guess is there are other cards where the money might have been better "spread out".

Of course all of this assumes you are providing a relatively high average ROI in the boxes. People are ok taking a gamble and losing, but there's a limit...

I've been saying that all along. This will especially work well if you buy those $100-3000 cards in the offseason when prices are historically at their lowest. By the time the products is packaged and shipped, most of those cards will be selling for 10%+ higher.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I almost want to buy a few boxes because of that. But then I realize that I'll wind up with a $15 card.

So I guess its safe to assume with the amount of trashy boxes being broken that a bunch of stuffed ones with tons of value are on the way? I mean it was a sorting issue at the 3rd party packaging plant right? At least that's the story we where fed. Or has the story changed since last I heard?

Because if there was a sorting issue and tons of crap breaks are happening the obvious next thing is for a ton of stuffed boxes should be on the horizon? I cant wait for all the boxes yielding tons of hits since there was an error. That is if that 3rd party error story is true. I must admit I laughed the entire time typing that.

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO
The last few boxes/cases will be broke on blowout and all the monster hits will come out and the buy in at that point will be huge and I'm sure some of the investors or friends of theirs will be the be beneficiaries.

If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark guaranteed on it I can. I've got spare time.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
The last few boxes/cases will be broke on blowout and all the monster hits will come out and the buy in at that point will be huge and I'm sure some of the investors or friends of theirs will be the be beneficiaries.

If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark guaranteed on it I can. I've got spare time.

i'd be willing to bet that Houdini or LiveCaseBreak.com will pull it

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
An additional point about this product occurred to me -- the whole point of prospecting is to do research, buy low, and sell high. The vast majority of cards in this product are the type that would be turned over at the right point in the market, not kept in a collection long term.

So, even if you got a "good" box that was currently valued at or above the price you paid for the box, wouldn't you STILL be better off buying singles of guys that you think will appreciate significantly?

It's like the Apple stock analogy someone made except you get stock in a random company that you may or may not believe has potential to appreciate.

I know that people love to gamble... but come on.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
Somebody on Blowout said he read the Soler super was pulled by a guy who doesn't sell on eBay? Anybody else heard this?

Also Although there has not been a box break on here, BO, or Beckett for over a week now the prices on available boxes are at $300 now! The only people I see opening this stuff are the group breakers. Are they singlehandedly driving prices up?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts