Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

LaRussa and Maddux to go into the HOF as......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That's so stupid.
Is Leaf sponsoring the plaques?

Here's the Associated Press story:

Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will not have any logos on the caps of their Hall of Fame plaques.

The decision was announced Thursday by the Hall, which said Joe Torre's plaque will have the logo of the New York Yankees.

Plaques for Tom Glavine and Bobby Cox will have Atlanta Braves logos, and Frank Thomas' will have the logo of the Chicago White Sox.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I actually like this.

The HOF is about the player, not the team.

I think all future HOF should go in logo-less

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
This is weird I thought the committee select the team for you regardless the player choice. So now the Dodgers allow to retire Maddux #? What about player who play for 1 team U still appear with HOF team?

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
I think La Russa should have gone in as a Cardinal and Maddux a Brave. That being said, I don't care they go in as no logos. It changes nothing about what they accomplished in their careers.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
This is weird I thought the committee select the team for you regardless the player choice. So now the Dodgers allow to retire Maddux #? What about player who play for 1 team U still appear with HOF team?

The Dodgers could retire Andruw Jones' number if they wanted to.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
What kind of restrictions does MLB put on teams retiring numbers?

The Cardinals retired 85 for Gussie Busch, a microphone for Jack Buck, and the STL logo for Frankie Frisch.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL

What does a team retiring a number have to do with the Hall of Fame?

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Canton does it because the helmets would obscure the players' faces, not because of a player first mentality.

The reason is that the player made the Hall of Fame and team doesn't matter. It is a player first mentality. They are basically joined a fraternity or brotherhood and their team is NFL Hall of Famer. Thus the yellow jackets they get.

This notice is required by law.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Thread has taken off over on BO, so was going to post here and saw it was already up...

My take is I think it's sad that Maddux doesn't go with Braves... for LaRussa, I don't care really as much but who in their right mind doesn't think Braves when thinking of Maddux?!

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Thread has taken off over on BO, so was going to post here and saw it was already up...

My take is I think it's sad that Maddux doesn't go with Braves... for LaRussa, I don't care really as much but who in their right mind doesn't think Braves when thinking of Maddux?!

People who grew up watching Maddux play for the Cubs.

Apparently this is his decision, not the Hall's.

Thing I don't get, is if Maddux can choose no logo, why did the Hall force Dawson to use the Expos logo against his wishes?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Completely lame in my opinion. Just make a rule, most seasons with a team with plate appearances as a tie breaker for batters, or most seasons with a team with innings pitched as a tie breaker for pitchers. Seems fairest to me. Or when the BBWAA cast their ballots, they also have to say which team the player they are voting for should go in for. Most votes win.

Members online

Latest posts