Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ron Washington explains why he resigned as Rangers manager: He cheated on his wife.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN -- IRVING, Texas -- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington said today that he resigned earlier this month because he was unfaithful to his wife.

"I was not true to my wife, after 42 years," Washington said as his wife, Gerry, sat nearby during the news conference. "I broke her trust. I'm here today to own that mistake and apologize to her, and to those I disappointed, and those who have trusted in me, and I let them down.

"... Today, I'm at a very low time in my life. I'm sorry for breaking the trust that I had with my wife and for disappointing my players, for disappointing my coaches, disappointing Major League Baseball and for disappointing the Texas Rangers."

After making his statement, Washington stepped off a small stage and put his arm around his wife's shoulder, and she put her arm around his waist as they walked off together.

Citing personal reasons, Washington stunned the Rangers with his resignation Sept. 5. At the time, club officials said they had known for weeks that Washington was dealing with a personal matter but didn't disclose what the issues were.

After discussing all sorts of scenarios regarding whether he could remain with the club or not, Washington determined it was best to leave.

"All I ask is for your forgiveness and your understanding," Washington said Thursday. "I also ask that you respect our privacy as we go on with our lives. This matter is certainly personal and we are trying hard to put it behind us.

"I was born to be a baseball player. I'm a baseball lifer. The Rangers gave me a home, and I'm thankful for that. And I'm also thankful for the experience to have the opportunity to manage here in Texas."

The Rangers had no response to Washington's statement Thursday, noting that Washington resigned "to turn his full attention to addressing an off-the-field personal matter," and that any inquiries regarding the situation should be directed to the former manager.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Makes sense Ron Washington resigned due to infidelity. He's been cheating the Rangers out of wins for years

Don't put the blame on Washington. Front Office jack wagons should all be fired.
They had Nolan Ryan and he made a difference. 2 straight WS appearances.
I still curse Nelson Cruz. Gotta go get that ball. Eat the wall. Whatever.
And put one in Pujols' ear. F@&&!!!
Nolan Ryan gets outted and where are we at? Worse team in baseball. I understand this is a business but I see the Marlins do this every few years (at least they've won)
I like Washington. He's a players manager who still has a lot of heart for the game. You can see it each game. Unlike some of the ancient managers of days past who couldn't get off the bench and when they did, took 12 minutes to get out of the dugout.
I wish Washington well and he owned up to his mistake with his wife. Most people never do. I respect that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts