Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2015 hobby goals, what are yours?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
With a week left in the year I haven't seen a thread started yet. What are your 2015 hobby goals? Doesn't have to be card related.
I'll start:

1) get rid of all my unwanted dupes/trade cards. I don't have much anymore but I'd really like to clean it out. About 400 Ichiro cards and 150 or so griffeys i haven't listed plus others

2) seriously decide if I want to get out from under my griffey collection. Base/parallel/inserts/gu/and a couple other autos. About 1500 cards in all

3) continue with my PC's. Have my eyes set on a few high end pieces that I've determined are a must.

4) take the gamble on some older boxes or a newer case that may yield something for my pc. Something like National treasures

5)continue to contribute to this community and help as many collectors as I can.

**edit**
6) something not in my control at all but I'd love to add another 2 or 3 cards to my "impossible to complete auto set"

Last edited:

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Add two 1909-11 T206

SGC 10 (at least)

Ty Cobb (Portrait - Green)
Ty Cobb (Bat Off Shoulder)

That would put me at 517 of 524.

The quest continues...

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I'm probably leaning towards nothing card related as we know it, but focusing on the artistry of cards and early photographs.

1. Be creative and fill my new place with baseball art that I create. I'm in the process of creating a "print collage" of all Mantle main cards from 1951 Bowman - 1969 Topps. I'll then have a cut signature matted and displayed with it.

2. Straight up hi-res enlargements of the most beautiful cards I can find. I love the look of the 1949 Bowman-Robinson. The bright reds and blues really pop.

So as far as cards go, not much. However, I'll still be around and follow the products as usual.

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
1. Be even more picky about opening wax.
2. Maybe do a little more prospecting. I am pretty good reading/analyzing stats and think I could be ok. (cue the jokes)
3. Add to Miami Dolphins collection.
4. Grade some cards I have that would get a big bump in value with a good grade. I also want to authenticate a few autos like Duke Snider, David Wright, and a few others.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
2014 was an interesting year. I don't remember what my goals were but I like how it went, ha. I sold off a lot of side and secondary projects/collections and went back to my roots a little. That said (and so I can actually search for them next December):

1. Stay focused- don't start any new player or set collections that I'm not already actively seeking. This is a recurring goal for which I have about a 100% failure rate.
2. Spend less- No explanation needed.
3. Obtain at least 3 new Jeff Cirillo cards (not including if something new is released!)- This number gets lower and lower every year. I honestly think this might be difficult the way things are going.
4. Get to 50% on my all-time Brewers Roster autograph collection- (In truth I have no idea what my current % is but I'll look shortly). Edit-50% will be a challenge. Currently at 28%. Will need to add 200 players or so
5. Finish the Jeromy Burnitz 1998 Topps Tek run- Need one last pattern but will not be surprised if I dont see it this year. Thanks shadowking86 for the reminder

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Avoid "impulse" Retail buys, which usually disappoint.

"Steal" a great low-numbered patch auto of Cavs great Mark Price. Hard to do, still has huge following and despite more being made, still hard to get at good price.

Figure out what the heck Set I wanna do, if any, probably graded.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
My goal is to move the remaining inventory left over from the card shop I owned 12 years ago. It is going to be one of those "first 1.5K takes it" sale. I just dont have the time to go through a half million cards despite my best efforts.

My second goal is to be at 200+ cards on the 1955 Bowman set I have started this year. My goal for 2014 was to be at 100 cards with one key card purchased and I am well over 100 with the Mays card in my possession. I assumed it would take me three years to finish this set and I am on track to do so since there are only 320 cards in the set but the last 80 or so are a tough high number series.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
1) Nab every quality JJ I possibly can. Flip rarer stuff if he actually stays healthy when he comes back in June.

2) Get to 300 Doug Martin autographs. Buy 5 Dennis Northcutt 1/1's.

3) Go to the NSCC in Chicago and meet up with folks I already know and some new ones. Hopefully Sam ( [MENTION=3127]Super Mario[/MENTION] ) can make it out that way.

4) Get at least 15 personalized 8x10's or other pics autographed to my daughter of 'famous' folks.

5) Acquire all the volumes of the Simpsons & MST3K. Just need volume 10 (w/Godzilla) & 31 for MST3K.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I don't typically make collecting goals that I keep track of but I suppose I could throw a few out there:

1. Complete the 1998 Topps Tek run for Sandy Alomar Jr. I need 25 more. I just started it this year when I picked my collection back up.

2. Knock a bunch of cards off of my Top 10 Most Wanted list for both the Red Sox and Alomar.

3. Get to 1,000 different Sandy Alomar Jr. cards. I have 882 right now with 6 coming in.

4. Get to 500 different David Ortiz cards with the Red Sox. I have 487 right now. Should be easy.

Last edited:
With [MENTION=6366]ASTROBURN[/MENTION] help as usual:

Get over 1400 Biggio cards (currently at 1297) with atleast 3 of my Most Wanted List
Get over 275 Brooks cards (currently at 236) with atleast 3 of my Most Wanted List

Thats about it...besides scanning

I got my entire Biggio/Brooks collection scanned in front and back so all I have left is my Other PC and Tradelist

Last edited:

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
1. Get past 1300 different Fred McGriff cards. Currently a little over 1000. Would really like to knock out all the base cards especially.
2. Finish my Cubs Tek sets for 98, 99 and 2000. This may be a lofty goal.
3. Work on a vintage football set. Probably 51 Bowman since I have a few and like the set.
4. Stay organized. Currently working on this over the long weekend.
5. Finish my Carolina Cougar team set run in Basketball. I should be able to knock this one out.
6. Possibly start a 70's or 80's Basketball set. I am drawn to 70's basketball cards for some reason.
7. Buy less modern stuff to rip.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Add two 1909-11 T206

SGC 10 (at least)

Ty Cobb (Portrait - Green)
Ty Cobb (Bat Off Shoulder)

That would put me at 517 of 524.

The quest continues...

wow! You are about 200 ahead of me!

in 2015 I'd also like to build my 206 and pre war type set collection. Sell off a good amount of modern patches too

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I will try and keep it simple:

--Organize is my top priority.
--Thin the collection a bit
--Pick priority is to hunt down my last two patterns of '98 Tek for O'neill and put a good dent in my Bernie Teks.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Organize and catalog my cards.
Land either Cobb or Walter Johnson t206 portrait in PSA 4.
Add to my HOF PSA rookie collection.
Trade for/buy at least 10 more PSA 1959 Fleer Ted Williams cards.
Give away cards that help others with their collections(already in progress)

Last edited:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Get rid of a lot and finish the sets I'm nearly done with. My interest in the hobby is continuing to dwindle, I hate the non logo stuff and topps seems to not care so I don't either. :(

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
Close in on completing my PSA 8 '69 Topps Mets set, currently at 18 of 28.
Organize, organize, organize. I have a four foot stack of monster boxes and have no idea what's in most of them.
Buy the frames & curtains I need and finish my '69 Mets room.
Be more active on the transaction boards.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts