Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The offer the Mariners turned down for Felix Hernandez

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Report: Sox offered Buchholz, Bard as part of blockbuster for King Felix
By: Alex Speier

According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, the Red Sox offered the Mariners a chance to choose five players from a group of the team's eight top prospects as part of a package for pitcher Felix Hernandez. According to the report, the Sox made available a group of players that included right-handed pitchers Clay Buchholz, Daniel Bard, Justin Masterson and Michael Bowden, as well as left-handers Nick Hagadone and Felix Doubront, shortstop Yamaico Navarro and outfielder Josh Reddick. Baker said that the Mariners declined that offer, and so the Sox tried to arrange a three-way deal that would include the Padres and send first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, Buchholz and other prospects, with the Padres receiving prospects from both the Red Sox and Mariners.

Baker said that the Mariners declined the offer, feeling that a similar package would be available at a subsequent date should they ever decide to deal Hernandez. The pitcher, who is making $3.8 million this year, does not become eligible for free agency until 2011. Hernandez is 12-4 with a 2.78 ERA this year.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As affordable and good as Felix is, I dont know how anyone could turn that offer down. ANY 5 of those 8 players??

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
MallCopKJ said:

According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, the Red Sox offered the Mariners a chance to choose five players from a group of the team's eight top prospects as part of a package for pitcher Felix Hernandez. According to the report, the Sox made available a group of players that included right-handed pitchers Clay Buchholz, Daniel Bard, Justin Masterson and Michael Bowden, as well as left-handers Nick Hagadone and Felix Doubront, shortstop Yamaico Navarro and outfielder Josh Reddick. Baker said that the Mariners declined that offer, and so the Sox tried to arrange a three-way deal that would include the Padres and send first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, Buchholz and other prospects, with the Padres receiving prospects from both the Red Sox and Mariners.

Baker said that the Mariners declined the offer, feeling that a similar package would be available at a subsequent date should they ever decide to deal Hernandez. The pitcher, who is making $3.8 million this year, does not become eligible for free agency until 2011. Hernandez is 12-4 with a 2.78 ERA this year.

As affordable and good as Felix is, I dont know how anyone could turn that offer down. ANY 5 of those 8 players??

i would turn it down if i was the mariners to, i personally dont think any of the named pitchers are as good as what they are hyped up to be

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
KOBEARODLT said:
MallCopKJ said:

i would turn it down if i was the mariners to, i personally dont think any of the named pitchers are as good as what they are hyped up to be

Yup, what some people forget is that Felix is years younger than most of those guys, for example, he is two years younger than Clay.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
KOBEARODLT said:
MallCopKJ said:

Because they want to keep trotting Ryan Rowland-Smith out there? Because the "Brandon Morrow As Closer Experiment" worked so well? Getting 3 starters, a closer, and an OF for one guy isn't that bad...

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
bungle77 said:
KOBEARODLT said:
MallCopKJ said:

Because they want to keep trotting Ryan Rowland-Smith out there? Because the "Brandon Morrow As Closer Experiment" worked so well? Getting 3 starters, a closer, and an OF for one guy isn't that bad...

Agreed. It's great to have a top of the rotation ace pitcher, but if you can improve half your team with 1 guy I dont see why you would turn it down. They could have a SS in Navarro, 2 SP, Bard as a closer and an starting OF in Reddick.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Hopefully the Mariners realize that Felix is more than their number 1 starter. He puts fans in the seats, much like Ichiro, brings a new demographic as a Mariner fan, and lastly, takes the pressure off their shaky bullpen, knowing their ace-in-the-hole has no problems going 7 or 8 strong.

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
MallCopKJ said:
bungle77 said:
KOBEARODLT said:
MallCopKJ said:

Agreed. It's great to have a top of the rotation ace pitcher, but if you can improve half your team with 1 guy I dont see why you would turn it down. They could have a SS in Navarro, 2 SP, Bard as a closer and an starting OF in Reddick.

They just traded for a former Allstar SS in Jack Wilson, I like Yamico but he would be lucky to be half of Jack Wilson. They also have one of the best closers in the game in their pen, they got him from the Red Sox too.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
bradical said:
Hopefully the Mariners realize that Felix is more than their number 1 starter. He puts fans in the seats, much like Ichiro, brings a new demographic as a Mariner fan, and lastly, takes the pressure off their shaky bullpen, knowing their ace-in-the-hole has no problems going 7 or 8 strong.

Well said...and as bad as it sounds our Mariners NEED a locked in ace pitcher anyways. I know we have decent guys coming in and out of the rotation, but the King has what we need...kinda like the days when Randy Johnson owned the Seattle mound. I also favor him in my PC too, but please don't let that get in the way of my "man crush" with him on the mound ::facepalm:: :oops: :lol:

Alex

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
bradical said:

You know what else puts butts in seats? Winning.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
ProspectorsAdvantage said:
MallCopKJ said:
bungle77 said:
KOBEARODLT said:
MallCopKJ said:

They just traded for a former Allstar SS in Jack Wilson, I like Yamico but he would be lucky to be half of Jack Wilson. They also have one of the best closers in the game in their pen, they got him from the Red Sox too.

Jack Wilson has only a player option for next year, then it's FA...or, it's FA after this year. So who knows how long he'll be around.
And, let's not go overboard on Aardsma. You're absolutely right, he's having one of the best seasons as a closer this year. But can you honestly count on this to repeat itself consistently? Like you said, he came from Boston. He didn't stick in this bullpen; when his fastball doesn't move, it's very hittable.

The M's need a young, talented core to compete with the Angels. Sure, King Felix is important, but there's a lot more help needed than just one pitcher. Ask Toronto...

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
Tomlinson21RB said:
bradical said:

How many games do you think the M's would win with Clay and Daniel Bard? Would Clay be a front of the line guy? Sure he has shown flashes of being a #1 but he is still a year or two away from full potential. Felix is there with 2 years of age on Clay. Put Clay, Bard and the other guys offered and they are going to lose a ton of games for a few years.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Tomlinson21RB said:
bradical said:

How many games do you think the M's would win with Clay and Daniel Bard? Would Clay be a front of the line guy? Sure he has shown flashes of being a #1 but he is still a year or two away from full potential. Felix is there with 2 years of age on Clay. Put Clay, Bard and the other guys offered and they are going to lose a ton of games for a few years.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Clay is better than Felix (I know I'm not).
I'm arguing that getting 5 potential starters (at least two of which being difference makers) is better than one guy languishing on a 3rd place team.

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
bungle77 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
bradical said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that Clay is better than Felix (I know I'm not).
I'm arguing that getting 5 potential starters (at least two of which being difference makers) is better than one guy languishing on a 3rd place team.

You also have to take a look at the M's Farm. They have two guys that are, are at least hoping and spent 1st round picks on(aumont/fields), that can either be a elite closer or a good setup guy. Plus they have Saunders and a few other young OF's that deserve as much as a chance as Reddick. You build a team around a guy like Felix, and the M's aren't that far away IMO.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
if i was the M's, i would have scoffed at that as well. i'd take quality over quantity any day and i feel as if boston's system is a little over rated.

caseumsd6

Aug 13, 2008
Talks will heat up again in the offseason and Felix will be a Sox come next season. This is what happens when your gm states that if he were to start a franchise with one player who would it be? Epstein said Felix and we all know when Theo has his "man-crushes" he gets his guys. (see J.D. Drew). It will cost the Sox Buchholz, Bard, Reddick, Pimentel, and probably Lowrie, but Theo will pull whatever strings he can to get Felix.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
The Red Sox want Felix? Buchholz, Bowden, Tazawa, Rizzo, Westmoreland. As good as Bard is, the M's aren't hurting for young, power arms in the bullpen(Aumont, Fields). Reddick is also very good, but we already have from right to left, Ichiro, Franklin Gutierrez, and Michael Saunders. Then ofcourse Ackley is supposedly going to be converted into an OF'er. Westmoreland is far enough away to go after and see what shakes out with the situation. We'd leave you Casey Kelly and Lars Anderson.

teachervido

Aug 7, 2008
Fresh Meadows, NY
How come every damn team except for the Mets have players to trade for in their minor league system. Our number one prospect, Fernando Martinez can't even play a full season in any league yet he's rated NUMBER ONE for god sake!

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Brett Keith said:
The Red Sox want Felix? Buchholz, Bowden, Tazawa, Rizzo, Westmoreland. As good as Bard is, the M's aren't hurting for young, power arms in the bullpen(Aumont, Fields). Reddick is also very good, but we already have from right to left, Ichiro, Franklin Gutierrez, and Michael Saunders. Then ofcourse Ackley is supposedly going to be converted into an OF'er. Westmoreland is far enough away to go after and see what shakes out with the situation. We'd leave you Casey Kelly and Lars Anderson.

That's not an unreasonable deal. Tazawa in Seattle might make some waves with the population (good waves). I'd close Bard over Fields (although the two of them going 8th/9th could be a force), but are they really going to leave Aumont in the bullpen?

Members online

Latest posts