Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

One year ago today.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
A great man passed away.

He was there the day Lou Gehrig gave his famous speech. He counted Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig, Phil Rizzuto, etc., among his good friends.

He got Phil Rizzuto his first tryout with the Yankees and we all know how that turned out. He once had the offer from Babe to use a pair of his cleats.

Joe DiGangi passed away at the age of 94 on July 14, 2009. He was a bullpen catcher for the Yankees from 1933-1942. He got to live and see some of the legends of the game and had wonderful stories. He was to be honored at Yankee Stadium on 9-11-2001 but we all know that game never happened.

My boys and I had the honor of meeting him, talking to him on the phone on several occasions, getting to know his family, etc. He has been truly missed and I am just sorry that I never was able to get his stories recorded in his voice to share with everyone. He was very excited that Noah caught for the local Little League Yankees last year. At least it happened before he passed.

I hope that several of you got to know this man too and share in his wealth of stories and knowledge of some of the games greatest players.

He is missed.

David

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
darrend505 said:
Very nice story Dave!

Thank you sir. I just wish my boys had the chance to meet him face-to-face like I did. They loves writing letters to him and receiving then from him.

David

Members online

Latest posts