Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Like it or not, Steroids saved baseball and this hobby.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Why steroids saved baseball

Written by Benn Hodapp, Tuesday January 12 2010

Mark McGwire apparently stunned the nation yesterday by admitting to something I thought we all knew in the first place. His transformation from skinny rookie to ogre-ish Mr. Forearms was pretty obviously aided by the needle. But then again we love overreacting to everything, so let's do it again.

There has never been any question in my mind about the cleanliness of those records set in 1998. More importantly, however, the steroid-aided great home run chase of '98 saved baseball.

One of the most exciting seasons in recent memory was about 100 games in. Matt Williams and Ken Griffey, Jr. were on pace to end the season around 61 home runs (which was still the record). Tony Gwynn was hitting a preposterous .394, trying to become the first man to hit .400 since Ted Williams in 1941. The Montreal Expos were the best team in baseball. I'll repeat that in case you didn't hear...the Washington Nationals in their previous form were the best team in baseball.

But wait, millionaires in their skyboxes and greedy players decide that we need to stop all this record-chasing, brilliant baseball. Who needs it? On August 12th the season ended with nothing decided and a heavy basket full of 'what ifs'.

When baseball came back in 1995 it was struggling. How do you explain to the blue-collar worker that he should bring his kids out to see a bunch of guys who make millions yet still bicker and bitch about money? It doesn't work. Shocking.

Attendance was down and a malaise set over the entire league.

And then the perfect storm gathered momentum in the midwest. McGwire and Sammy Sosa combined for what was without question the most exciting regular season in my lifetime. They weren't just on pace to break Roger Maris' record; they were on pace to break it in early September. It was the top story every night on SportsCenter. Hell, it might have been the top story on the 11 o'clock news every night too.

As the balls flew out of the yard at frightening rates, people returned to the yard and to their televisions to watch something never before seen. It was great theater and we all watched, held captive by the display.

Now we know that each and every swing was taken illegally. Sosa has never admitted to steroid use, but did you see him as a rookie? The guy weighed like 160 pounds.

McGwire ended the season with 70 home runs, a number that was unfathomable to pretty much everyone. Sosa launched 66 and took home the N.L. MVP over McGwire.

Back to 2010 and we're preparing the boiling pot in which to throw McGwire and Sosa. It makes sense to want to seal away these tainted memories after all.

Or maybe we could look right into the face of this story and call it what it really is: Steroids saved baseball. There is no effective counter argument against that fact. Baseball was curling up into a fetal position, tired and alone in the twilight of its life.

Whether or not steroids help you hit a baseball is still debatable. I, for one, don't buy it. If it were that easy to hit a ball 500 feet I would be outside impressing the hell out of my friends and cleaning up on some bets. The only thing that we know to be true is that using them was illegal.

Revolutions are never legal.

Behind closed doors I hope Bud Selig has a shrine to both McGwire and Sosa for saving both his job and the pathetic waste his league had become before they injected.

McGwire in the Hall? Absolutely. But make sure there's an asterisk.

"Mark McGwire saved baseball in 1998.

* - He also had some impressive stats."

bozemanbreaker

Mar 20, 2009
Salina, KS
I have to admit, the last time I followed the regular season at all was during the homerun race with McGwire/Sosa and again when Bonds went after the record. Exciting stuff.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
elmalo said:
Mark McGwire apparently stunned the nation yesterday by admitting to something I thought we all knew in the first place. His transformation from skinny rookie to ogre-ish Mr. Forearms was pretty obviously aided by the needle. But then again we love overreacting to everything, so let's do it again.

There has never been any question in my mind about the cleanliness of those records set in 1998. More importantly, however, the steroid-aided great home run chase of '98 saved baseball.

One of the most exciting seasons in recent memory was about 100 games in. Matt Williams and Ken Griffey, Jr. were on pace to end the season around 61 home runs (which was still the record). Tony Gwynn was hitting a preposterous .394, trying to become the first man to hit .400 since Ted Williams in 1941. The Montreal Expos were the best team in baseball. I'll repeat that in case you didn't hear...the Washington Nationals in their previous form were the best team in baseball.

But wait, millionaires in their skyboxes and greedy players decide that we need to stop all this record-chasing, brilliant baseball. Who needs it? On August 12th the season ended with nothing decided and a heavy basket full of 'what ifs'.

When baseball came back in 1995 it was struggling. How do you explain to the blue-collar worker that he should bring his kids out to see a bunch of guys who make millions yet still bicker and bitch about money? It doesn't work. Shocking.

Attendance was down and a malaise set over the entire league.

And then the perfect storm gathered momentum in the midwest. McGwire and Sammy Sosa combined for what was without question the most exciting regular season in my lifetime. They weren't just on pace to break Roger Maris' record; they were on pace to break it in early September. It was the top story every night on SportsCenter. Hell, it might have been the top story on the 11 o'clock news every night too.

As the balls flew out of the yard at frightening rates, people returned to the yard and to their televisions to watch something never before seen. It was great theater and we all watched, held captive by the display.

Now we know that each and every swing was taken illegally. Sosa has never admitted to steroid use, but did you see him as a rookie? The guy weighed like 160 pounds.

McGwire ended the season with 70 home runs, a number that was unfathomable to pretty much everyone. Sosa launched 66 and took home the N.L. MVP over McGwire.

Back to 2010 and we're preparing the boiling pot in which to throw McGwire and Sosa. It makes sense to want to seal away these tainted memories after all.

Or maybe we could look right into the face of this story and call it what it really is: Steroids saved baseball. There is no effective counter argument against that fact. Baseball was curling up into a fetal position, tired and alone in the twilight of its life.

Whether or not steroids help you hit a baseball is still debatable. I, for one, don't buy it. If it were that easy to hit a ball 500 feet I would be outside impressing the hell out of my friends and cleaning up on some bets. The only thing that we know to be true is that using them was illegal.

Revolutions are never legal.

Behind closed doors I hope Bud Selig has a shrine to both McGwire and Sosa for saving both his job and the pathetic waste his league had become before they injected.

McGwire in the Hall? Absolutely. But make sure there's an asterisk.

"Mark McGwire saved baseball in 1998.

* - He also had some impressive stats."
What is your facination with steroids Elmalo?

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
Ripken's streak in '95 did more to "save" baseball and the hobby.

100% agree. The home run chase, while "sexy", wasn't as important to blue-collar baseball fans as it was to identify with a man going to work everyday regardless of illness and injury just like they did.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
JoshHamilton said:

Not going to argue either way, but here are the attendance figures from 1994 - 2001

1994 50,010,016
1995 50,469,236
1996 60,097,381
1997 63,168,689
1998 70,601,147
1999 70,139,380
2000 71,358,907
2001 72,581,101

Attendance jumped by 7 1/2 million from 97 to 98 and stay pretty consistant for the next 3 years.

Attendance was pretty consistant from 94 to 95, yes I know there were about 40 extra games played in 95, so one could argue, that attendance actually went down from 94 to 95

Just not seeing where Ripken's Streak "saved" baseball, at least baseball attendance wise

EDIT: My bad, forgot the Diamondbacks and Rays both came into the league in 98, Guess that could have a little to do with the 7.5 million jump, :lol:

braden

Aug 7, 2008
What's the point of just copying and pasting an article and throwing your own title on top? There's no way you wrote that.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
braden said:
What's the point of just copying and pasting an article and throwing your own title on top? There's no way you wrote that.

+1

But the homerun chase did energize the less than common fan. Heck I had people begging me to put the games on the TV at the pizza place I managed when in the past they'd have asked me to change the channel.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
braden said:
I didnt say I wrote it.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I'm biased, but will always give credit to Cal for saving baseball. The guy did everything in his power to reach out to the fans.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
elmalo said:
braden said:
I didnt say I wrote it.

I don't see anywhere that an author was receiving credit for their work. With that being said, most would assume that you wrote it.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
RITM said:
elmalo said:
braden said:
I didnt say I wrote it.

I don't see anywhere that an author was receiving credit for their work. With that being said, most would assume that you wrote it.
Edited.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
JoshHamilton said:
Maybe he was on them and they helped him get through the streak. What was it that Caminiti said, maybe 50% of the league was using something? Just saying.

Members online

Latest posts