Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Like it or not, Steroids saved baseball and this hobby.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
To everyone who wants to debate my point about Ripken...I'm talking about "saving" baseball from the damage caused by the 1994 strike. Yes, the Ripken streak got people back into baseball. Ripken's work ethic of playing day in and day out was the polar opposite of what turned people off the year before.

The Sosa/McGwire race drew more fans and casual observers to baseball. But it did nothing to "save" it. Baseball popularity was on life support after the strike. It was fine by the summer of 1998

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
To everyone who wants to debate my point about Ripken...I'm talking about "saving" baseball from the damage caused by the 1994 strike. Yes, the Ripken streak got people back into baseball. Ripken's work ethic of playing day in and day out was the polar opposite of what turned people off the year before.

The Sosa/McGwire race drew more fans and casual observers to baseball. But it did nothing to "save" it. Baseball popularity was on life support after the strike. It was fine by the summer of 1998

this.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
JackLondon said:
mancini79 said:
At the time roids helped the hobby. But in the long run, it did a lot more to hurt it.

Well put. My feelings exactly.

Both the hobby and the game itself. But how could it?: although people didn't know it at the time, what was 'accomplished' on the field wasn't real or natural to begin with.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
It saved the hobby for that time, but the hobby is currently (still) in a pretty dark place. Are you suggesting this is the time for another steroid era or can players like Longoria, Heyward, Strasburg, Stanton, Kershaw, Tulowitzki, etc ignite another collecting fire?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
rico08 said:
It saved the hobby for that time, but the hobby is currently (still) in a pretty dark place. Are you suggesting this is the time for another steroid era or can players like Longoria, Heyward, Strasburg, Stanton, Kershaw, Tulowitzki, etc ignite another collecting fire?
No, but I bet you a few of them are juicing. Especially Tulo.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
uniquebaseballcards said:
JackLondon said:
mancini79 said:
At the time roids helped the hobby. But in the long run, it did a lot more to hurt it.

Both the hobby and the game itself. But how could it?: although people didn't know it at the time, what was 'accomplished' on the field wasn't real or natural to begin with.
You had to be pretty naive not to know what was going on at the time.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
elmalo said:
JackLondon said:
mancini79 said:

By the time Bonds was doing it, yes. Before that no - this has been discussed (in your threads) ad nauseum.

72skywalker

Aug 4, 2010
I have been telling people that I think Cal Ripken did steroids as well. He took them not to get bigger and hit home runs but to heal his body each day so that he can continue his streak.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
72skywalker said:
I have been telling people that I think Cal Ripken did steroids as well. He took them not to get bigger and hit home runs but to heal his body each day so that he can continue his streak.

I also think Ripken is the HOFer that Jose Canseco has referred to in the past.

Steroids made Cal's streak possible.

Cal's streak saved baseball.

"Like it or not, Steroids saved baseball"

nborton said:
RL24 said:
elmalo said:
Stop kidding yourselves everyone. They are still using that stuff.

This is my belief as well. "QFT" as the kids say. :lol:

While chances are it's true considering all the new ways of doing them or masking them, HRs are down by quite a bit. Something has changed.

The guys are still shook up a little from that whole Mitchell Report thing. After more guys start taking what Jose Bautista has started taking, once they see that he is succeeding but not getting caught, the HR's will go back up.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
elmalo said:
JackLondon said:
mancini79 said:

By the time Bonds was doing it, yes. Before that no - this has been discussed (in your threads) ad nauseum.

I think you misremember how the whole thing went down. SI ran an article August 22, 1998 talking about how "Sitting on the top shelf of Mark McGwire's locker, next to a can of Popeye spinach and packs of sugarless gum, is a brown bottle labeled Androstenedione."

People knew McGwire was on steroids before Barry had even started using them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseba ... upplement/

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I guess I should share my feelings on the whole steroid topic. They have changed over the years. I used to think it was cheating the game, I know where those people are coming from. For me though, baseball is entertainment.

It's very expensive to go to a game, when I pay all that money I want to see the best show possible. That's reasonable, right?

It is a very high paid profession, being a baseball player. When you are competing against the whole world for just a few jobs, but those jobs pay millions, you gotta do whatever you can. I understand that taking steroids has negative long term effects on your body, but so does lots of stuff. I don't even mean drugs and alcohol, I'm talking about things like... boxing. And playing football. The great thing about all of those things are you have a choice, you can use/do them and have fun/make money now, but you'll probably pay for it later. It's your choice.

If a baseball player decides to take the risks involved by taking steroids so he can make millions of dollars, I believe that should be his choice. That's reasonable, right?

I had an awesome solution to the steroid problem when it arose, but Bud Selig wouldn't listen to me. I proposed a steroid league. If you get caught doing steroids, you're kicked out of the MLB for good. But you can play in the steroid league! It seems harsh, I know, but not if you think the whole thing through. More and more players would be joining the league all the time. The league would have had some of the greatest players who ever lived! When regular people like me had to decide where to spend my money... do I want to see regular guys slap the ball around the park, or watch the greatest players alive crush the ball out of the park? Give me the steroid league. I think it would become the more popular league. After a few years it would become so accepted, they would have the Universe Series where the WS winner faces the champions of the Steroid League. Few years after that, there would be 3 leagues, the AL NL & SL. And a few years after that, the SL would be disbanded, because MLB would take the players back into their struggling league.

Why are people so against baseball players taking steroids? That's what I don't get. It's not unfair to Babe Ruth, he's dead. If it is unfair to his legacy, so is everything that's going on in baseball today. Lasik surgery? Tommy John surgery? Advanced weight training techniques... Hell, even the way that the pampered players of today only have one job these days is unfair to the players of the past. It's much harder concentrating on throwing a strike or hitting a sacrifice fly when your mind is on how hungry your kids are, and how many cows you've gotta slaughter tonight at the slaughterhouse......

The world changes. You shouldn't waste time worrying about the things the people in the past didn't have, and embrace the great stuff we do have.

Some people think that if a baseball player takes steroids, that will encourage kids to take steroids. That's nice, and I agree and all... but what if your kids are taking HGH because YOU give it to them? In their children's vitamins? I personally believe that HGH is going to change a lot of things. It's very close to the fountain of youth, it just needs a little tweeking. If you don't believe it, ask yourself why 50 Cent, Wyclef Jean, Timbaland and Mary J Blige take it. Not to hit more HRs, I assure you.

If you made it all the way down here- thanks, congrats, and I hope you find something fun to do today. :lol:

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
RL24 said:
72skywalker said:

What's next, you going to tell me that Brett Favre was on steroids too for his streak? :lol:

Steroids make your muscle mass increase disproportionally to your tendons / ligaments, putting you at a greater risk for injury. If you want to argue that he was injected with HGH / stem cells / cortisone / etc., go ahead. But steroids makes no sense at all.

Back on topic, whoever said "It helped the hobby then, but hurt it in the long run" is exactly right. It has tainted a whole era, made stats questionable, and ruined many kid's heros and idols.

JackLondon said:
mancini79 said:

In present day you do not know what is real or enhanced. With HGH undetectable you really have no idea.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
jonebone said:
RL24 said:
72skywalker said:

What's next, you going to tell me that Brett Favre was on steroids too for his streak? :lol:

Steroids make your muscle mass increase disproportionally to your tendons / ligaments, putting you at a greater risk for injury. If you want to argue that he was injected with HGH / stem cells / cortisone / etc., go ahead. But steroids makes no sense at all.

Back on topic, whoever said "It helped the hobby then, but hurt it in the long run" is exactly right. It has tainted a whole era, made stats questionable, and ruined many kid's heros and idols.
It depends on what type of steroid you use and what type of results you want to get out of them. If you take a moster stake, with something like Deca in it, than yes you will get bulky and increase your risk of injury.
If you take something like Winstrol, a steroid tha adds lean muscle mass, than you arent going to put yourself at risk for injury but you will still get benefits.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
elmalo said:
jonebone said:
RL24 said:
72skywalker said:

It depends on what type of steroid you use and what type of results you want to get out of them. If you take a moster stake, with something like Deca in it, than yes you will get bulky and increase your risk of injury.
If you take something like Winstrol, a steroid tha adds lean muscle mass and burns fat,and you train to add lean muscle and not to bulk up than you arent going to put yourself at risk for injury but you will still get benefits.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
JoshHamilton said:
Ripken's streak in '95 did more to "save" baseball and the hobby.

Plus the 2-3 yrs leading up to it and yrs after.

It was hard back then fighting with 10-15 others for even low-end inserts.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
RL24 said:
72skywalker said:

nborton said:
RL24 said:
elmalo said:
Stop kidding yourselves everyone. They are still using that stuff.

This is my belief as well. "QFT" as the kids say. :lol:

While chances are it's true considering all the new ways of doing them or masking them, HRs are down by quite a bit. Something has changed.

The guys are still shook up a little from that whole Mitchell Report thing. After more guys start taking what Jose Bautista has started taking, once they see that he is succeeding but not getting caught, the HR's will go back up.

It's Ricky Henderson in my opinion. Cal was just a beast that Canseco was jealous of. He even admitted it.

Were you even around then? Stop trolling where there's no evidence.

Members online

Latest posts