Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Stumbled into an old-school 1/1 -or- why to have a website

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Sometimes having a website for your collection really pays dividends. Today was one of those days for me. A woman contacted me after going online to look for information about a Mark Grace card her husband had in a collection he was selling. After my website came up first in Google, she checked it out. Then she decided she would offer me the card instead of listing it on eBay. Very nice woman, very nice card for me. We reached a deal, and this old-school 1998 Ultra Masterpiece 1/1 is on its way to me. This was a 1/1 from when 1/1 meant something special. A good day!

98ultramasterpiece.jpg

When I have a really rare card to sell, I do a Google search to see if there are any hardcore collectors I will offer it to first. Anyone else do this as well?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Unbelievable pick up! Congrats all the way! Mind sharing what it set you back? Had her husband pulled it himself?

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
gracecollector said:
Brewer Andy said:
Unbelievable pick up! Congrats all the way! Mind sharing what it set you back? Had her husband pulled it himself?

According to her, he pulled it along time ago. I did well on it, $85 delivered.

Wow even better that's an amazing price!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
gracecollector said:
Brewer Andy said:

Well?! I'd say you did out-freaking-standing! I'd pay double or more than that for one of my scrubs, let alone Grace. Thank god it wasn't in Burbank's stash

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Brewer Andy said:
gracecollector said:
[quote="Brewer Andy":1waci6nh]Unbelievable pick up! Congrats all the way! Mind sharing what it set you back? Had her husband pulled it himself?

Well?! I'd say you did out-freaking-standing! I'd pay double or more than that for one of my scrubs, let alone Grace. Thank god it wasn't in Burbank's stash[/quote:1waci6nh]

Man...that thing would be a $2,000 card easy if Burbank had their hands on it.

Good for you Brad.Always nice to add one more!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Thanks everyone. It is nice when a card you've wanted to own for 10 years makes its way into your collection. There are lots of nice people that have helped me along the way. This lady specifically said she was glad to know the card would be going to someone that would really appreciate it. My website has led me to some gems this way, and shows a prospective seller I'm really going to treasure their card. Some people think that if you create a nice website for your player collection, sellers will try to hold the cards you want for ransom. That has happened to me once or twice, but far and away it is more the case that a seller is willing to cut me a deal, knowing that their card is going to a true collector and not someone just looking to make a buck.

But yeah, it was a nice steal. Back in 1999 I paid $225-$250 for a comparable Grace 1/1.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Wow, very nice. Man I gotta get my site built.... thanks for the motivation! :) Congrats!!

Members online

Latest posts