Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Leaving the hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
After a lot of thought, I've decided to leave the hobby once and for all. It's a combination of reasons for me, from the ridiculous expensiveness of cards these days to my lack of passion for the hobby anymore.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help over the past year. There are some really great people on FCB that make this hobby great.

As for the collection, I'm currently working on selling everything little by little. If you're interested in anything, please let me know and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,
Scott

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
Unless you need money, just put it away for a while and forget about it. You'll be happy you did that in a few years if the passion comes back.

I think we all go through this in some form or another

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
I would also stress the sentiments of simply putting your collection out of sight, instead of selling - barring you do not need the funds. Wait a few months, or a year.

It's always unfortunate to see a huge collector go.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
You'll be back. They always come back.

Just kidding.

But that sucks to hear, the stuff does get expensive and that makes me think twice about it all. But prospecting is still too addictive for me :lol:

Good luck to you.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
shayscards79 said:
You'll be back. They always come back.
Good luck to you.

My thoughts exactly. You beat me too it. If I had a dime for everytime my boy Kevbo left and came back, well, I'd have at least .50 or so.

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
zep33 said:
Unless you need money, just put it away for a while and forget about it. You'll be happy you did that in a few years if the passion comes back.

I think we all go through this in some form or another

I've realized that I would rather spend my money on doing things with my family and friends and getting to experience the world more while I'm still young and able to. I stopped collecting twice before but I know it's final this time because they simply don't do anything for me now. I would much rather have my full game used jersey and hat and a few other pieces that actually matter to me.

cgilmo said:
Love on the rocks ain't no surprise
Pour me a drink,
And I'll tell you some lies
Got nothing to lose,
So you just sing the blues, all the time

Showing your age! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Schilling....I would put what you have away...When you come back it will be like a treasure chest. all the cards you forgot you had. Maybe when you do come back Schilling will be in the Hall and your collection will double in value. Everyone hits a wall and takes a break, most come back...

Good Luck to you!

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
its one thing to quit but if you end up regretting getting rid of the toughest ones that'll really suck! I quit the hobby in 1995 and had thoughts of moving my whole collection a few times if the price was right but then said to myself that there was so many memories in those boxes that it would be hard to just let them go and kept it all sitting on top of my bureau all this time.. 2007 arrived and I got a spark to start up again when I saw a few really nice patch cards and I'm back enjoying it as much as I did when I was a teenager. Take a break sit on what you have and down the road when you've settled down you will find it again!

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
1st4040 said:
its one thing to quit but if you end up regretting getting rid of the toughest ones that'll really suck! I quit the hobby in 1995 and had thoughts of moving my whole collection a few times if the price was right but then said to myself that there was so many memories in those boxes that it would be hard to just let them go and kept it all sitting on top of my bureau all this time.. 2007 arrived and I got a spark to start up again when I saw a few really nice patch cards and I'm back enjoying it as much as I did when I was a teenager. Take a break sit on what you have and down the road when you've settled down you will find it again!

I've thought about that Paul but am 100% sure about my decision. I've already moved some of my toughest cards and I don't miss them at all.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
schillingfan said:
I've realized that I would rather spend my money on doing things with my family and friends and getting to experience the world more while I'm still young and able to. I stopped collecting twice before but I know it's final this time because they simply don't do anything for me now. I would much rather have my full game used jersey and hat and a few other pieces that actually matter to me.

There's the key to it all.
I completely understand your decision as I've thought about that myself. Holding on to "key" items like jerseys or a few pieces that matter will keep you satisfied with both "doing things with the family" and keeping your foot in the collecting/baseball world.
It's true that as life goes on, there are other priorities that are far more important than cards. A hobby should remain a hobby which (for me) means extra money or time only and not taking over my life, finances or time.
I wish you all the best but like another member said, not collecting doesn't mean not posting. As you said, FCB has great members and just hanging around to talk can be a great way of staying connected to the collecting world with-out really collecting. I'm not sure if that makes sense...

Good luck selling everything. You're collection is awesome so I'm sure you shouldn't have that hard of a time.

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
domino2012 said:
schillingfan said:

There's the key to it all.
I completely understand your decision as I've thought about that myself. Holding on to "key" items like jerseys or a few pieces that matter will keep you satisfied with both "doing things with the family" and keeping your foot in the collecting/baseball world.
It's true that as life goes on, there are other priorities that are far more important than cards. A hobby should remain a hobby which (for me) means extra money or time only and not taking over my life, finances or time.
I wish you all the best but like another member said, not collecting doesn't mean not posting. As you said, FCB has great members and just hanging around to talk can be a great way of staying connected to the collecting world with-out really collecting. I'm not sure if that makes sense...

Good luck selling everything. You're collection is awesome so I'm sure you shouldn't have that hard of a time.

There's no easy way to put it in words but you nailed it. I found that it was becoming more than a hobby for me and I need to focus on more important things in my life right now, like my master's program.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
I was going to go the route of the other guys and say stash it for awhile, but seeing your at total peace with your decision, I wish you the best.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Why do people always choose one or the other (collecting/not collecting) as if collecting makes everything else in life impossible. Do everything. Collect, hang out with friends, be with family, travel, go to school. Why do people equate collecting with some sort of anchor that doesn't allow you to do anything else. I do everything, which includes collecting. If you have lost interest, fine, but don't make excuses. If it meant something to you before, don't just walk away. If you CAN just walk away, it probably didn't mean all that much to you in the first place.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
I disagree with you. Its human nature to grow out of things. I used to love playing with my matchbox cars in the dirt, but I dont anymore. I loved them when I was a kid, but I just dont have interest in them anymore. All they do now, is bring back good memories when I see them.

Members online

Latest posts