Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Leaving the hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
sportscardtheory said:
Why do people always choose one or the other (collecting/not collecting) as if collecting makes everything else in life impossible. Do everything. Collect, hang out with friends, be with family, travel, go to school. Why do people equate collecting with some sort of anchor that doesn't allow you to do anything else. I do everything, which includes collecting. If you have lost interest, fine, but don't make excuses. If it meant something to you before, don't just walk away. If you CAN just walk away, it probably didn't mean all that much to you in the first place.

some people can't collect the way they want to or are used to when disposable income changes as a result of growing up and priority changes. I know cause I was one of them.. worked from very young cutting grass and whatnot to get cash to buy cards and stash toward buying a car etc. built up a very respectable collection by the time I decided to stop buying cards full time in 95. when I discovered Ebay back in 99 and saw that card companies were offering GU'ed and Auto cards I picked up a few for my collection here and there but nothing serious as far as keeping me in the chase. 2007 was the year that I finally decided to start after cards for my PC again.. 3 kids later and more settled financially I could look at getting some nice cards to add to my collection. it has always been a hobby to me and the memories and stories are worth more than the cardboard itself.. thats the part about being a true collector that never leaves you.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
henderson939 said:
I disagree with you. Its human nature to grow out of things. I used to love playing with my matchbox cars in the dirt, but I dont anymore. I loved them when I was a kid, but I just dont have interest in them anymore. All they do now, is bring back good memories when I see them.

Kids grow out of playing with toys is your analogy for a grown-up quitting collecting because he has other things on his mind?

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Here we go again.......a person states their reason for leaving the hobby and someone has to step in and piss all over it with their jacked up over zealous opinions, yes, you know who you are!!!

Good luck, enjoy life and live it to the fullest as you see fit, best advice I can give you.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Musial Collector said:
Here we go again.......a person states their reason for leaving the hobby and someone has to step in and piss all over it with their jacked up over zealous opinions, yes, you know who you are!!!

Good luck, enjoy life and live it to the fullest as you see fit, best advice I can give you.

Get over yourself. I didn't realize that a pat on the back and a "see ya later" was the only thing to say to someone who is leaving the hobby. Sorry that I have opinions. I didn't mean to frighten you.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
Musial Collector said:

Get over yourself. I didn't realize that a pat on the back and a "see ya later" was the only thing to say to someone who is leaving the hobby. Sorry that I have opinions. I didn't mean to frighten you.

Not at all shocked to see you figured it out it was you.
Your opinions 99% of the time are negative, pissing in peoples cereal comments.
Is it ok to have an opinion? Sure as **** is.
Does it get old that the opinions you spew are of the ****** **** you comments most of the time? Yeap, sure is.
So like you, I have opinions too, and no, you dont frighten me, you are just a straight up ******* 99% of the time, and I called you out on it.

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
Thank you everyone for respecting my choice.

sportscardtheory - I don't equate collecting with being something that takes up all of my time. However, it can take a considerable amount of my time and I just don't have that time anymore. I've found that I've outgrown collecting cards and want to focus on my personal and professional life more. My collection meant a lot to me at one point but I've had a change of interests and want to focus on collecting full game used pieces instead.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Good luck, Scott, hope you still post from time to time!

I have changed my collecting focus a few times. I am going more toward my book collection, but still will add to my player collections occasionally. My "advantage" over many of the collectors on FCB is that I do not have a lot of extra money to spend, so I never felt the drive to get the big money cards.

When I have found that I am spending too much time on my collection (ebay, internet searching, etc.), I have stepped back, reevaluated my collection, and sold off things that didn't have a nostalgic appeal to me.

Hope your game used collection builds up nicely!

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Musial Collector said:
sportscardtheory said:
[quote="Musial Collector":13i7ry61]Here we go again.......a person states their reason for leaving the hobby and someone has to step in and piss all over it with their jacked up over zealous opinions, yes, you know who you are!!!

Not at all shocked to see you figured it out it was you.
Your opinions 99% of the time are negative, pissing in peoples cereal comments.
Is it ok to have an opinion? Sure as **** is.
Does it get old that the opinions you spew are of the ****** **** you comments most of the time? Yeap, sure is.
So like you, I have opinions too, and no, you dont frighten me, you are just a straight up ******* 99% of the time, and I called you out on it.[/quote:13i7ry61]

You must be a REEEAAALLLYYY negative person if you truly find 99% of my posts negative. It's simply and ridiculously untrue. Keep exaggerating to try and make me look bad. It makes you look like a complete idiot. I wasn't being negative at all. I was just pointing out how when people "leave" the hobby, it's always all or nothing it seems. How the f*** do you find negativity in that??? lol It's just an observation. ::facepalm:: You really need to take a chill pill, bro.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
sportscardtheory said:
henderson939 said:
I disagree with you. Its human nature to grow out of things. I used to love playing with my matchbox cars in the dirt, but I dont anymore. I loved them when I was a kid, but I just dont have interest in them anymore. All they do now, is bring back good memories when I see them.

Kids grow out of playing with toys is your analogy for a grown-up quitting collecting because he has other things on his mind?

I was refering to this stupid comment that you made. You stated that since Scott can walk away from it, his collection must not have meant too much to him. My point was that I collected and played with the cars when I was a kid and grew out of them/walked away and they MEANT A LOT TO ME and still bring back fond memories when I see them. I have collected many things over the years, such as Star Wars, Hot Wheels, DVDs, Darda cars, ect. but have moved on and focused on my Henderson collection. If I was filthy rich I would collect as much stuff as I could. At some point in my life, I will end the Henderson collection that I have put 25 years into, and major money into. Will this mean it didnt mean that much to me in the first place? NO

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
henderson939 said:
sportscardtheory said:
henderson939 said:

I was refering to this stupid comment that you made. You stated that since Scott can walk away from it, his collection must not have meant too much to him. My point was that I collected and played with the cars when I was a kid and grew out of them/walked away and they MEANT A LOT TO ME and still bring back fond memories when I see them. I have collected many things over the years, such as Star Wars, Hot Wheels, DVDs, Darda cars, ect. but have moved on and focused on my Henderson collection. If I was filthy rich I would collect as much stuff as I could. At some point in my life, I will end the Henderson collection that I have put 25 years into, and major money into. Will this mean it didnt mean that much to me in the first place? NO

Dude... relax. What is with people around here??? Why the hell is everyone so damn sensitive. Here's a lesson for some people who don't seem to get the internet: NOT EVERYONE SEES THINGS JUST LIKE YOU DO. I guess I have to walk on eggshells and watch what I say as to not upset anyone.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
In the name of conformity and unbroken eggshells, forget what I have previously written in this thread and use this post instead.

It's always sad to see good people leave this wonderful hobby of ours. I'm sure it wasn't an easy choice, but one that you feel is right at this point in time. I completely respect your decision and I understand it. I hope that everything works out for the best and maybe someday, when the time is right, we will see you back here talking about your amazing Schilling collection. We will be waiting with open arms. You will be missed my friend. Good luck and godspeed! :)

90FTaway

Oct 2, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have always enjoyed your collection and I hate to see you go. Good Luck.

I know how you feel and I rarely buy anything new, but I enjoy searching for a few rare items that I need to finish a set and chatting about baseball on FCB.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
cgilmo said:
Anytime these threads come up, I always think it would be great if keyboard cat would play them off.

That is what I would want to happen if I ever quit collecting.

I think in a way he does, at least in our hearts.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Sad to see another good one go :(

You should have become a IP autograph collector, apparently from most accounts they never sell off their collections :lol:

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
I left the hobby for all of 2 months. Then I saw what 2011 Series 1 was turning out to be along with Bowman and the rest of Harper-craziness...and it sucked me back in. I also found a way to put myself into a bigger debt hole and to remove the part of my brain that feels guilt for spending all of my money on something that meant nothing to me 1 year ago.

And I'm loving every moment of it!

But I understand the desire to want to leave. There are many reasons this hobby can get in the way of things that are more important. Everything in moderation is okay, but when it takes a hold of your life, it can get in the way. I used carry no debt, until I started collecting. I think I could have purchased a small car with the amount of money I've spent this past year. Not to mention the time spent chasing cards and researching. It's a lot...

Good luck with your next endevor.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
zep33 said:
Unless you need money, just put it away for a while and forget about it. You'll be happy you did that in a few years if the passion comes back.

I think we all go through this in some form or another
THIS ^^^^

Listen to us.
Take a break.
Come back with a renewed passion in the future.
Hate to see such a great player collector leave.

:cry:

Members online

Latest posts