Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ESPN Reporting: Highly possible no one voted into the HOF this year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
You can't have an opinion about what someone put into their body. That's like having an opinion on someone being left-handed or what that person ate for breakfast. If someone did or did not cheat using PEDs is a fact, one way or another; but it's an unknowable fact until proof is presented.

Writers can think they know what happened, but until proof surfaces, said writer is just waiting to be wrong or right on the FACT that a player used.

I don't know what this means for voting for the HoF, but if PEDs are a criteria for said writer, than if said writer uses his "opinion", he's being intellectually dishonest.

Well Braun won't be getting in after his 5 years based on this

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
This pisses me off because on years when no one should make it they vote someone in. And this year when many should make it they're not going to vote someone in.

Here is my opinion. Someone will get in because its not about the HOF anymore it's about all the revenue generated for Cooperstown businesses during HOF weekend. That's why they will never go without electing at least one person.
Only took a handful of posts for someone to say exactly what I was going to post.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
So why is it that Piazza and Bagwell are suspected of PED use but Frank Thomas is not, based on what seems to be general consensus on next year's voting outcome? I'm not saying any of them did and I think they should all be first ballot, but where are these writers drawing the line?

In fact, how many players that would easily be in the Hall if not for perception have actually tested positive for anything? Now of course McGwire had creatine in his locker and Bonds and Clemens had trials that they squeaked out of, but after that?

And since the topic of character has come up, what about 1st ballot HoF'er Puckett with two women accusing him of abuse? Of course that came out after the HoF induction, but should the cheaters and jerks be expunged from the Hall now?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So why is it that Piazza and Bagwell are suspected of PED use but Frank Thomas is not, based on what seems to be general consensus on next year's voting outcome? I'm not saying any of them did and I think they should all be first ballot, but where are these writers drawing the line?

In fact, how many players that would easily be in the Hall if not for perception have actually tested positive for anything? Now of course McGwire had creatine in his locker and Bonds and Clemens had trials that they squeaked out of, but after that?

And since the topic of character has come up, what about 1st ballot HoF'er Puckett with two women accusing him of abuse? Of course that came out after the HoF induction, but should the cheaters and jerks be expunged from the Hall now?

To your first question, maybe because he was a HUGE guy from birth lol.... IMO, that's like saying Shaq was on PEDs when really he was just a massive dude over 7 foot tall, etc.

I'm not sure if that's it but the Big Hurt was a massive guy and wasn't really extremely cut up as much as he was just a big guy

:twisted: Flame away :twisted:

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
To your first question, maybe because he was a HUGE guy from birth lol.... IMO, that's like saying Shaq was on PEDs when really he was just a massive dude over 7 foot tall, etc.

I'm not sure if that's it but the Big Hurt was a massive guy and wasn't really extremely cut up as much as he was just a big guy

:twisted: Flame away :twisted:
And I can agree with that regarding Thomas. Big freakin' dude. But Piazza?? He wasn't small obviously, but his neck didn't grown Bonds' style, did it?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
And I can agree with that regarding Thomas. Big freakin' dude. But Piazza?? He wasn't small obviously, but his neck didn't grown Bonds' style, did it?

Honestly, I'm not in the camp that Piazza did PEDs... but I guess who knows... the dude did mash during the era

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Just because players CAN go into the HOF every year, doesn't mean that every year a player SHOULD go into the HOF.

that's why I love the baseball HOF the most - it's a high quality HOF, not a forced HOF like the NFL where there is a requirement for six or whatever players to be inducted every year.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The entire HOF voting process is an opinion about whether or not a particular player, executive, umpire, etc should be in the HOF.

Its always been this way... and if it wasn't that way the HOF would be a Hall of Stats where obtaining certain numbers gained a candidate automatic entry into the Hall of Stats... which would obviously make baseball a very boring, non-team sport.

While some people here may want a Hall of Stats, anyone who really knows baseball understands that baseball is more than stats.

That's not my point. My only problem is the writers using PEDs, to-the-man, as a bar for enshrinement, yet still just guessing about it. Unless there is proof, none of these writer's opinions on who used should be a factor. So either no one from that era gets a vote, or they ALL do, based solely on their stats.

Again, you cannot have an "opinion" that someone did or did not use PEDs; they either did or did not as a fact. Anyone who votes on an assumption is wrong.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Well Braun won't be getting in after his 5 years based on this

No, you're wrong. I am not talking about who will or won't, based on anything. I'm simply saying that, without proof, you're being dishonest if you assume. There is nothing to have an opinion on with respect to "if" or "if not"; there can only be an opinion with respect to what PEDs mean to the game and its history.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I think the results here show that the HOF needs to do something about the guys with positive steroid tests. The fact that you have guys who have never been conected with steroids other than they played in the steroid era not getting votes, thats a problem. I guess in baseball innocent until proven guilty is wrong. The fact that people arent voting for Biggio and Piazza likley because they THINK they did steriods is a joke. Biggio/Piazza/Bagwell should be getting more votes.
Clemens and Bonds never failed any tests either so...

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
That's not my point. My only problem is the writers using PEDs, to-the-man, as a bar for enshrinement, yet still just guessing about it. Unless there is proof, none of these writer's opinions on who used should be a factor. So either no one from that era gets a vote, or they ALL do, based solely on their stats.

Again, you cannot have an "opinion" that someone did or did not use PEDs; they either did or did not as a fact. Anyone who votes on an assumption is wrong.
I agree. It is rediculous to look at 1 player and say, well, he maybe could have and than look at another player and say, I think he was clean.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010

McGwire had andro in his locker, which at the time was over the counter and could be bought at any health store. But he was on much more than andro. Creatine is a completely legal, safe and effective supplement.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
The sickening thing about a guy like Bonds is had he not taken Steriods the Guy would have ended up with Willie Mays Numbers :eek: WTF is wrong with that??? What a complete idiot, and wasnt enough for him. He would have not been pitched around as much pretty much insuring 3000 hits. Im sure he couldnt himself see his own future but without Peds Bonds was a 600HR 3000HIT guy.

Yeah, and the sad thing is, even if he wouldn't have taken steroids he probably still wouldn't have got in because the writer's would have assumed that he must have taken steroids to be as good as he was. There is an absolute logjam and it's only going to get worse unless they change the way the voting process works. Maddux will get in next year (and maybe Biggio) but I kinda doubt that that anybody else will be elected with him. Just way too many deserving players and way too many voters that refuse to vote for more than 1 or 2 guys per year. Eventually we'll get a pro football style election process (which I would welcome - I'm a large hall guy).

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
McGwire had andro in his locker, which at the time was over the counter and could be bought at any health store. But he was on much more than andro. Creatine is a completely legal, safe and effective supplement.
That's right, andro.

Creatine is legal for the rest of us, but not in baseball anymore.

Which reminds me, why do the people keep saying that "Player X did steroids before baseball banned them." Um, yes, but it's been illegal to take steroids without a prescription for decades. I hate that argument.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
That's right, andro.

Creatine is legal for the rest of us, but not in baseball anymore.

Which reminds me, why do the people keep saying that "Player X did steroids before baseball banned them." Um, yes, but it's been illegal to take steroids without a prescription for decades. I hate that argument.
Last I checked creatine was still legal in baseball and it would be silly if it was on the banned substance list. It is one of the safest and best supplements that you can use.

Members online