Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
What is Dutch Tulip bubble?

Per Wikipedia--

Tulip mania was a period in the Dutch Golden Age during which contract prices for bulbs of the recently introduced tulip reached extraordinarily high levels and then suddenly collapsed. At the peak of tulip mania, in March 1637, some single tulip bulbs sold for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman. It is generally considered the first recorded speculative bubble (or economic bubble). The term "tulip mania" is now often used metaphorically to refer to any large economic bubble (when asset prices deviate from intrinsic values).

Tulip bulbs = 1998 Tek box or Tek diffractor?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
That box is $170 Hahahha who the hell is bidding on that still? No chance you get a return unless it's a hot box

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
That box is $170 Hahahha who the hell is bidding on that still? No chance you get a return unless it's a hot box

---

Probably some deep pocketed collector who doesn't care about value, that just wants the thrill of opening an older box.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Per Wikipedia--

Tulip mania was a period in the Dutch Golden Age during which contract prices for bulbs of the recently introduced tulip reached extraordinarily high levels and then suddenly collapsed. At the peak of tulip mania, in March 1637, some single tulip bulbs sold for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman. It is generally considered the first recorded speculative bubble (or economic bubble). The term "tulip mania" is now often used metaphorically to refer to any large economic bubble (when asset prices deviate from intrinsic values).

Tulip bulbs = 1998 Tek box or Tek diffractor?

So a bunch of flower seeds were selling for way more than it should have?

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I bid $124.35 on both boxes figuring I wouldn't win either one. I was right.

If I did happen to win one/both at that price I wasn't going to break them - they were going into the closet to sit for the next 20 years. I don't know why but I like to buy boxes of product and not open them to see how they appreciate over the years.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I figured both would sell between $125 and $150 just because of this thread. Seeing them sell for north of $150 is mind blowing.

---

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
It's really not mind blowing, guys. Boxes pop up for between $175 - $190 dlvd on BINs and sell. I saw that happen about three times in 2012. That is the current market and has been for some time. That's why any boxes that pop up for under $175 get snatched up in a matter of minutes.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It's really not mind blowing, guys. Boxes pop up for between $175 - $190 dlvd on BINs and sell. I saw that happen about three times in 2012. That is the current market and has been for some time. That's why any boxes that pop up for under $175 get snatched up in a matter of minutes.

So you win both?

---

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Not trying to get into a pissing match but you said that's fair price. Shocked you watched it go

---

Now wait a second LOL I said that was the market.

The only way I do a group break is if I get boxes for below market. That only happens with BINs. Even then we pay more than what is "fair" because it's a fun experience. Those boxes can be brutal with the average box only getting three Diffractors. The only reason the last batch of boxes ended up being worth it was because it appeared that approximately one box per case was a hot box.

If we're solely speaking of the resale value of the cards, then $75 dlvd per box is about right. But we pay more because of the thrill of the gamble and the chase after our own pc guys.

Actually, $75 may be a bit low. Have you seen what random lots of base w/ stars are going for? Sometimes more than full sets - sheesh! Makes me wonder if people think there's a chance there could be Diffractors hidden in there...

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Interesting Derek Jeter 1998 Tek diffractor listing. It's p. 72 if you don't recognize it. (I have one of those.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Topps-...1288581146?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4ace4ab01a

What makes this really interesting is that the same card, not identified as a diffractor, is listed by the same seller -- at a much lower starting listing price, and has attracted a couple of bids -- including one familiar-looking bidder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Topps-...1288472466?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4ace490792

Last edited:

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Another interesting eBay auction. Couple of diffractors (listed as such) in 50-card lot (D Lee p. 21 and Lankford p. 64, and I can use both of them).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-50-Base...1159313744?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item20ddc03150

But there's another reason this is interesting. There may already be shill bidding on this lot. The bidder listed as a**y bids on a lot of the seller's 'higher' priced lots -- whether baseball, football, hockey, or basketball -- placing an early higher bid, and, surprise!, not winning those auctions. Just got a feeling that he has already bid $20.00 on this one. He'll up the ante later. That's his pattern. Used to be pretty easy to spot this stuff but eBay has made it difficult. Now you have to smell it out and play detective a little. That same bidder buys a ton of football stuff, but not the baseball, basketball, and hockey stuff he has repeatedly bid on from this seller's auctions.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm sure y'all have seen it by now but a bunch of 1998 Topps Tek's hit eBay tonight by the same seller... base look like starting at $2 and $13 BIN's... Diffractors starting bid at $20 and BIN's then at $40! God it's annoying to see your guy show up with a diffractor but starting bid at $20 or a freaking $40 BIN!

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I'm sure y'all have seen it by now but a bunch of 1998 Topps Tek's hit eBay tonight by the same seller... base look like starting at $2 and $13 BIN's... Diffractors starting bid at $20 and BIN's then at $40! God it's annoying to see your guy show up with a diffractor but starting bid at $20 or a freaking $40 BIN!

Not sure if someone bought a bunch of them, but a lot of the listings are gone (the auction links anyway - can't get to any BIN pages).

Members online

Latest posts