Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
DeliciousBacon said:
Greg Layton said:
This seller just put up 237 1997 Platinum Medallions. These don't pop up very often, at least the Daulton doesn't.

http://shop.ebay.com/ronnyo/m.html?_nkw ... op=1&_sc=1

Good luck.

Oh man...stuff like that is why I secretly miss having ebay.

I think this might be the guy who posted on the beckett forums a number of months ago who had the full set and was debating on how to unload them

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
BunchOBull said:
predatorkj said:
mansgame said:
Some great info and points about Burbank, thanks guys. I've made some purchases from them but mostly on their cards under $5. As most, I'm to the point in my player collection where most cards I need are tough to find and aren't cheap. I was shocked to notice Burbank had SO many that I'm in search of. I've emailed the guy over there and he is pretty good at communicated and it seems he can skim like 10% off any price if you ask, which is good to know.

What's awesome to me is if they did indeed buy a lot of their stuff from a collection in Hawaii(rumored to be a collector who died), then man...can you imagine having a collection like that? Makes you wonder just what's out there that we don't know about. Somebody with a lot of money that has a taste not just for super high end but...everything.

My understanding is that the super collector was 100% real. He was a multi-millionaire by the name of Clarence T.C. Ching. His family is extraordinarily wealthy, having land as their means to fiscal prosperity. And having land in Hawaii basically makes you informal royalty in the islands. They were among the first of the Chinese immigrants who ended owning huge tracts of what would later become the City of Honolulu and beyond. They're still one of the wealthiest families in the entire state. Their holdings are vast and nearly unimaginable to the average citizen. Informal estimates I've heard on the grapevine put the entire family's holdings in the billions of dollars.

http://www.clarencetcchingfoundation.org/

And when the old guy bought cards, he did so not by doing cases of product - but *dozens and dozens* of cases of product at a time. Second hand, I've heard that the dealer who dealt with him would close down the shop - just so he and his staff could help him bust up the product and organize the hits over the course of an entire day.

Rumor is that when he passed, Upper Deck literally lost 10% of their company's value overnight...he was apparently their biggest customer.

His collection was valued, at the time of his death, a conservative book of between 3-5 million dollars. It was held in several large containers at a storage company he owned - one tiny part of many of the family's businesses.

A local-to-the-island, still active dealer helped negotiate on behalf of the family with Burbank. The selling price was $900K, literally one-fifth the value. And if you all remember, this all happened just as the 90's insert craze had begun. That meant the real dollar value was closer to double what the book was at the time.

Much of the funds generated went to the University Of Hawaii Manoa as part of an education grant.

The website states that Clarence T.C. Ching passed away before UD ever existed:
http://www.clarencetcchingfoundation.or ... e-tc-ching

A family member, maybe?

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
riveraXVX said:
DeliciousBacon said:
Greg Layton said:
This seller just put up 237 1997 Platinum Medallions. These don't pop up very often, at least the Daulton doesn't.

http://shop.ebay.com/ronnyo/m.html?_nkw ... op=1&_sc=1

Good luck.

Oh man...stuff like that is why I secretly miss having ebay.

I think this might be the guy who posted on the beckett forums a number of months ago who had the full set and was debating on how to unload them
Yeah he has a ton of them. He just sold about a hundred or so a few weeks ago. I was finally able to land the Puckett then.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
bear0555 said:
BunchOBull said:
predatorkj said:
mansgame said:
Some great info and points about Burbank, thanks guys. I've made some purchases from them but mostly on their cards under $5. As most, I'm to the point in my player collection where most cards I need are tough to find and aren't cheap. I was shocked to notice Burbank had SO many that I'm in search of. I've emailed the guy over there and he is pretty good at communicated and it seems he can skim like 10% off any price if you ask, which is good to know.

What's awesome to me is if they did indeed buy a lot of their stuff from a collection in Hawaii(rumored to be a collector who died), then man...can you imagine having a collection like that? Makes you wonder just what's out there that we don't know about. Somebody with a lot of money that has a taste not just for super high end but...everything.

My understanding is that the super collector was 100% real. He was a multi-millionaire by the name of Clarence T.C. Ching. His family is extraordinarily wealthy, having land as their means to fiscal prosperity. And having land in Hawaii basically makes you informal royalty in the islands. They were among the first of the Chinese immigrants who ended owning huge tracts of what would later become the City of Honolulu and beyond. They're still one of the wealthiest families in the entire state. Their holdings are vast and nearly unimaginable to the average citizen. Informal estimates I've heard on the grapevine put the entire family's holdings in the billions of dollars.

And when the old guy bought cards, he did so not by doing cases of product - but *dozens and dozens* of cases of product at a time. Second hand, I've heard that the dealer who dealt with him would close down the shop - just so he and his staff could help him bust up the product and organize the hits over the course of an entire day.

Rumor is that when he passed, Upper Deck literally lost 10% of their company's value overnight...he was apparently their biggest customer.

His collection was valued, at the time of his death, a conservative book of between 3-5 million dollars. It was held in several large containers at a storage company he owned - one tiny part of many of the family's businesses.

A local-to-the-island, still active dealer helped negotiate on behalf of the family with Burbank. The selling price was $900K, literally one-fifth the value. And if you all remember, this all happened just as the 90's insert craze had begun. That meant the real dollar value was closer to double what the book was at the time.

Much of the funds generated went to the University Of Hawaii Manoa as part of an education grant.
The website states that Clarence T.C. Ching passed away before UD ever existed:
http://www.clarencetcchingfoundation.or ... e-tc-ching

A family member, maybe?
Clarence T.C. Ching (1912-1985)

shenanigans.jpg

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
B.O.B. is correct on the numbers, I was mistaken. The offer from the East Coast dealer (Eddie) was 15 $100K payments and Burbank made the $900K lump sum offer.

I lived in Hawai'i from 1998-2000; I meant the collector several times and it was not Clarence :lol:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
George_Calfas said:
B.O.B. is correct on the numbers, I was mistaken. The offer from the East Coast dealer (Eddie) was 15 $100K payments and Burbank made the $900K lump sum offer.

I lived in Hawai'i from 1998-2000; I meant the collector several times and it was not Clarence :lol:

Hmmm and they story keeps taking turns... Who was the collector then?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
mansgame said:
George_Calfas said:

I think what matters is Burbank found a huge group of cards and has made a killing on them while making MANY 90s/player collector happy.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Misunderstanding of the story on my part, apologies; however, I'm fairly certain the dealer who brokered the deal did it for the Ching family. I'll ask some questions and get some clarification.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
BunchOBull said:
Misunderstanding of the story on my part, apologies; however, I'm fairly certain the dealer who brokered the deal did it for the Ching family. I'll ask some questions and get some clarification.

Your accounts are spot on from what I have been told, the collectors name is what I can't remember.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
George_Calfas said:
mansgame said:
[quote="George_Calfas":35rwp30c]B.O.B. is correct on the numbers, I was mistaken. The offer from the East Coast dealer (Eddie) was 15 $100K payments and Burbank made the $900K lump sum offer.

I think what matters is Burbank found a huge group of cards and has made a killing on them while making MANY 90s/player collector happy.[/quote:35rwp30c]

Haha fair enough...

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
George_Calfas said:
mansgame said:
[quote="George_Calfas":2i9balpl]B.O.B. is correct on the numbers, I was mistaken. The offer from the East Coast dealer (Eddie) was 15 $100K payments and Burbank made the $900K lump sum offer.

I think what matters is Burbank found a huge group of cards and has made a killing on them while making MANY 90s/player collector happy.[/quote:2i9balpl]

Or angry depending on how you look at it.... :lol:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
BunchOBull said:
My understanding is that the super collector was 100% real. He was a multi-millionaire by the name of [strike:2pmay8zf]Clarence T.C. Ching[/strike:2pmay8zf] Lawrence S.L. Ching. His family is extraordinarily wealthy, having land as their means to fiscal prosperity. And having land in Hawaii basically makes you informal royalty in the islands. They were among the first of the Chinese immigrants who ended owning huge tracts of what would later become the City of Honolulu and beyond. They're still one of the wealthiest families in the entire state. Their holdings are vast and nearly unimaginable to the average citizen. Informal estimates I've heard on the grapevine put the entire family's holdings in the billions of dollars.

Guys, got confirmation today that the collector was in fact Clarence's son Lawrence who was the super collector, obit found here:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 30342.html

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Wow, that was just in 2007? I thought Burbank's stash had been online longer than that...

Just think if he had lived another ten years... I wonder if he single-handedly made an impact on the hobby?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
RustyGreerFan said:
Wow, that was just in 2007? I thought Burbank's stash had been online longer than that...

Just think if he had lived another ten years... I wonder if he single-handedly made an impact on the hobby?

Burbank secured it's deal with eBay, and thus the market boom, some time in late 2008 I believe; at that point Burbank and several other sellers like Buy.com were given amazing listing privileges (discounts) due to the volume of sales proposed.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
So I've been looking for this darn card for too long and finally got it in the mail today!! ......unfortunately I was not aware that there was both a pack issued card and this winner card. I thought the certified winner only existed for the 1993 set....... Paid a handsome sum for this card, but thankfully less than the last one I saw at auction somewhere in the $200's.

doent58.jpg

Members online

Latest posts