Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Another red, another black.

Image%2016_zpswpabrd0i.jpg

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Scooped this up for $5 at the flea market today. I love the early Elite cards.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Attachments

• 1441397611794.jpg
    1441397611794.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 53

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Five-dollar Find on Flea Market Friday!

Yea for sure. Scored a couple other cool cards plus a few junk wax boxes to rip. You should come up to the yearly flea market we have up here sometime. It takes over the whole town of Hillsville. Supposedly its the biggest flea market east of the Mississippi.

BTW I keep thinking about collecting Elite inserts from the early 90's. This could be the start of a set. LOL

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
So the tally is in: I just spent $330 breaking 10 boxes of 1997 Score Hobby Reserve. Total Reserve Collection hits: 12(!). So my hit rate was a mere 1:16.6 packs. And the last box I opened had 2 reserves. A real dud of a break and I will likely take a bath on this one. The best Reserve Collection was the Thome GY, so hopefully I can make some $$ back on that one.

Please PM me with list - I'd be interested in buying some probably

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I thought you had OCD , how the heck you gonna have the 2nd card in, on bottom right of first pic with the border flipped the opposite of the others ;) First thing that caught my eye. Good luck on filling in the blanks.

Ryan

You raise an interesting subject. When loading horizontal cards into pages or loaders, do you load left edge up or right edge up? I always thought people who load right edge up were weird, like lefties. I won't start a conversation about if the magnet on a one touch is the top or the bottom (it's obviously the top but some people again are down right weirdos)

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Bought this for fun, just got it in today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262026531287?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I remember when this stuff was decent money, with all those HOT HOT HOT prospects who are now doing everything but playing pro baseball. Each box comes with a "chiptopper" (hated that term, glad they don't use it anymore!) of a Gold or Silver parallel, #'ed /50 or 150, "approximately" two autos, and a boatload of other inserts. Auto checklist has Carlos Pena, CC Sabathia, Troy Glaus, Rick Ankiel, Lane Berkman, and 60 other guys who might be serving you at Arby's tomorrow!

First box got me a Fernando Seguignol Silver /150, Darnell McDonald and Randy Wolf autos, Lance Berkman Scout's Choice (1:90 packs!), and a Best Possibilities of Ryan Minor (front) and Ryan Bradley (back). Modern day prospecters, gaze upon your future and cry. Your hot Bowman Chrome auto will be Ryan Minor in a few years!

Second box, a Frankie Figueroa Gold /50 boxtopper! Woah, that guy was such a huge star that I can't even tell what team accidently drafted him! Seriously though, neat to find a /50 just sitting in a box after 16 years. Vernon Wells and Steve Carver (WOAH) autos, and another Lance Berkman insert (with the immortal John Patterson on the back).

That was fun, seeing a bunch of guys who have just as much major league experience as I do!

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Scooped this up for $5 at the flea market today. I love the early Elite cards.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
1993 Donruss Elite Dominators is a 20-card set, offered exclusively for sale on the Shop at Home television network.
In a series of programs broadcast December 8-13, 1993, viewers were offered the opportunity to purchase a factory-sealed box of either 1993 Donruss Series One or Series Two, which included one Elite Dominator card produced especially for the promotion, shrink-wrapped directly to the box. Each box retailed for $99 plus $6 for postage and handling.
5000 serial-numbered sets were produced and half of the cards for Nolan Ryan, Juan Gonzalez, Paul Molitor, and Don Mattingly were signed by the player. The entire print run of 100,000 cards were reportedly purchased by the Shop at Home network and were to be offered periodically over the networ

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
[quote name="RStadlerASU22" post=2308258]I thought you had OCD , how the heck you gonna have the 2nd card in, on bottom right of first pic with the border flipped the opposite of the others ;) First thing that caught my eye. Good luck on filling in the blanks.

Ryan[/QUOTE]

You raise an interesting subject. When loading horizontal cards into pages or loaders, do you load left edge up or right edge up? I always thought people who load right edge up were weird, like lefties. I won't start a conversation about if the magnet on a one touch is the top or the bottom (it's obviously the top but some people again are down right weirdos)

I use the back of the card to determine which way is up. If the back is horizontal too, I always put the card number at the top.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC

Since part of the joy of collecting to me is looking at my cards in albums, I actually shy away from horizontal cards. I wish there were sheets specially made for horizontal cards even if that meant only six to a page. Maybe they already exist?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
They may exist, I'd think they could hold 8.

I like my non-top/bottom bordered horizontal cards to "lean" left. Then if they do have a top/bottom border, the border down so it "leans" whatever way at that point. Though I don't like that they make cards that way in the first place. If it's gonna be a horizontal card, have the border that is appropriate.

*** loaded wrong pic so turn that left and you'll get what I mean ;)

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1441470116.821383.jpg

Ryan

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Bought this for fun, just got it in today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262026531287?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I remember when this stuff was decent money, with all those HOT HOT HOT prospects who are now doing everything but playing pro baseball. Each box comes with a "chiptopper" (hated that term, glad they don't use it anymore!) of a Gold or Silver parallel, #'ed /50 or 150, "approximately" two autos, and a boatload of other inserts. Auto checklist has Carlos Pena, CC Sabathia, Troy Glaus, Rick Ankiel, Lane Berkman, and 60 other guys who might be serving you at Arby's tomorrow!

First box got me a Fernando Seguignol Silver /150, Darnell McDonald and Randy Wolf autos, Lance Berkman Scout's Choice (1:90 packs!), and a Best Possibilities of Ryan Minor (front) and Ryan Bradley (back). Modern day prospecters, gaze upon your future and cry. Your hot Bowman Chrome auto will be Ryan Minor in a few years!

Second box, a Frankie Figueroa Gold /50 boxtopper! Woah, that guy was such a huge star that I can't even tell what team accidently drafted him! Seriously though, neat to find a /50 just sitting in a box after 16 years. Vernon Wells and Steve Carver (WOAH) autos, and another Lance Berkman insert (with the immortal John Patterson on the back).

That was fun, seeing a bunch of guys who have just as much major league experience as I do!

This is why I don't understand prospecting. I don't hate prospectors or anything, it just isn't my way to collect.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I thought you had OCD , how the heck you gonna have the 2nd card in, on bottom right of first pic with the border flipped the opposite of the others ;) First thing that caught my eye. Good luck on filling in the blanks.

Ryan

Good catch! I didn't notice that. I think I just sorted them by # and put them in the pages. The dumb thing is it faces to the right, whereas the Conine .300 faces the other way. I'll fix that.

I prefer horizontal cards to face to the left, IE the top of the picture faces that way. As long as it's uniform, I don't really care.

A few new pickups and comments/questions
2l386.jpg

-I'm gonna venture a guess that the 97 Mirror Gold has a bit higher print run than 30, otherwise it wouldn't have cost me $3

-The horizontal CJ Legacy doesn't have any gloss. I assume it's a backdoored example? It's numbered on the back, but the serial # stamp doesn't seem like it's 'pressed' into the card.

-I don't know what the Conine is, other than a 'proof.' The foil and everything matches up with a legit card other than the lack of die cutting.

-BGS used to be a LOT tougher. It got an 8.5 on corners. If those are 8.5, all my recent gems are 7's. I might resubmit it.

Members online

Latest posts