Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Be honest, do u want Razor to succeed in the baseball market

Do you want Razor to succeed in the baseball market?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Brett Keith said:
ThoseBackPages said:
I would like to see them take over for TriStar as the Official MiLB card maker

I can get down with this.

Now here's an interesting question. Would getting the MiLB license help or hurt Razor's image? Right now, as an unlicensed card manufacturer they can say they are in the same category as Donruss which can be viewed as a good thing. If they were to become a licensee of MiLB they would be categorized as a minor league product and minor league products don't have a good history in the hobby.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
ru4scuba said:
Brett Keith said:
ThoseBackPages said:
I would like to see them take over for TriStar as the Official MiLB card maker

I can get down with this.

Now here's an interesting question. Would getting the MiLB license help or hurt Razor's image? Right now, as an unlicensed card manufacturer they can say they are in the same category as Donruss which can be viewed as a good thing. If they were to become a licensee of MiLB they would be categorized as a minor league product and minor league products don't have a good history in the hobby.

Who knows. I think the MiLB license would give them some legitimacy among collectors who aren't obsessive prospect/prospecting nuts, like many people here. I still think Razor's popularity, or potential popularity, may be overstated because we all just see each other talking about it all the time. There's a large population of collectors, even prospectors, who aren't in our little community, and I just don't know how Razor is going to play among them, or if they even know about it.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
I don’t think it’s as black and white as do you want them to succeed or fail. I also think some peoples’ replies may be influenced by how many cases they’ve ordered.
What I would like is for a card co. to step up + make the BEST card out there + to give collectors the MOST bang for their $. I think all card cos. could improve on that objective. I welcome razor, but like tristar, I think there’s some room for improvement. I think the same of topps, ud, donruss, etc.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
Yes here.
I'd like them to succeed and I'd like to see their success lead to mlbpa's over-turning of their one licensed prospect product ruling.
Donruss is doing well with the eee and threads, upperdeck gets by with USA, and razor looks to have a nice following so far, even without hitting the streets yet. Of course, they had to open their pockets and get a bunch of exclusives, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about them.
The fact that they talk to us and listen is more than a huge plus too. Sure, we've seen reps from companies come through, but have they helped ya much or listened at all? not really.
Their products are bringing a bit of fun back too. As much as Chrome is King, it's still getting kind of stale having basically the same product year in and year out. Then again, that's good - but Razor bringing other elements like letters (and threads doing letters) fake patches or not, brings a little fun back into it.

Imagine if you will, licenses for Topps, Donruss, Razor, and Upperdeck in the draft pick world.
Imagine also if there were no exclusive contracts.
On a level playing field, I'd love to see who comes out on top as KING.
It certainly works in football. Those draft picks have some damn nice cards from all of the big 3 companies.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I like what they are doing. The exclusives could make or break things for a lot of people. I'll be watching closely.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Kevbo said:
Yes here.
I'd like them to succeed and I'd like to see their success lead to mlbpa's over-turning of their one licensed prospect product ruling.
Donruss is doing well with the eee and threads, upperdeck gets by with USA, and razor looks to have a nice following so far, even without hitting the streets yet. Of course, they had to open their pockets and get a bunch of exclusives, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about them.
The fact that they talk to us and listen is more than a huge plus too. Sure, we've seen reps from companies come through, but have they helped ya much or listened at all? not really.
Their products are bringing a bit of fun back too. As much as Chrome is King, it's still getting kind of stale having basically the same product year in and year out. Then again, that's good - but Razor bringing other elements like letters (and threads doing letters) fake patches or not, brings a little fun back into it.

Imagine if you will, licenses for Topps, Donruss, Razor, and Upperdeck in the draft pick world.
It certainly works in football. Those draft picks have some damn nice cards from all of the big 3 companies.

The problem with everyone getting a license is that prospecting would be nothing like it is today, the market would become over oversaturated! No longer would B.Chrome be "head & shoulder's" above the competition & prospecting would lose entirely (if "X" player gets hot from production or an in-season callup, would you rather there be a B.Chrome version that everyone will want because it's the first in MLB team uniform or would you prefer there be a UD, USA, SP Authentic, Razor Sig., Razor Patches, Razor Prospects Limited Edition, Donruss EEE, Donruss Prime, B.Chrome, B.Chrome Draft, Topps, Topps Series 2, Upperdeck Lowerdeck, etc. etc. :shock: etc.? :lol:

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Yes, there needs to be more variety on the market. UD and Topps have gotten stagnant. The MLBPA hurt the hobby with the DLP fiasco. The hobby would be better off with four publishing companies limited to a max of product releases per year, IMO.

smt1192

Dec 8, 2008
I am indifferent, although the one player that I met that was signed with Razor was pretty down to earth (Derik Gibson).

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I want Razor to succeed, but just because having another card option as strictly a casual baseball card collector.

However, right now - Razor is all too much hype and I'm not buying into it.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Never really got into prospects but I definitely don't think its fair that Topps' prospecting license is currently unavailable to other manufacturers. There are way too many brands out there and not enough hobby focus. This all works out in a tie for me, so I really don't care.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Kevbo said:
Yes here.

The problem with everyone getting a license is that prospecting would be nothing like it is today, the market would become over oversaturated! No longer would B.Chrome be "head & shoulder's" above the competition & prospecting would lose entirely (if "X" player gets hot from production or an in-season callup, would you rather there be a B.Chrome version that everyone will want because it's the first in MLB team uniform or would you prefer there be a UD, USA, SP Authentic, Razor Sig., Razor Patches, Razor Prospects Limited Edition, Donruss EEE, Donruss Prime, B.Chrome, B.Chrome Draft, Topps, Topps Series 2, Upperdeck Lowerdeck, etc. etc. :shock: etc.? :lol:

shortly after I started playin this prospecting game, there were plenty of options out there.
2004 had
UD SP Prospects
Donruss EEE
Bowman Chrome/Draft
Fleer Hot Prospects
Topps Chrome, and even going into 05, TCUH was awesome.

There's certainly room, and I wouldn't want to see multiple products from all the companies, maybe just 2 a year. (even Bowman would be a 2 per year release in my dream world)

Then you could have something like Upperdeck's SP Prospects, and USA auto's could turn up in those boxes (ala, aflacs in bowman)
Donruss putting out a licensed product would be insane, with the best gu stuff I'd think, like threads, I mean, look at thier football stuff, it's awesome (gridiron gear, playoff contenders)
Razor can take the spot of Fleer, and there wouldn't be all that much clogging, provided each company didn't crank out 3-5 prospect laden sets a year. (2 max)
And cramming 3 bowman releases into 2 would just make it that much better.

Hot football rookies don't have a problem, despite there being several cards of them. Exquisite, Topps, Bowman, Contenders, SPA, SPX, man, I don't even know what all sets football has anymore, but I'm just sayin, theres room.

Whether or not the licensing comes to any other company than topps, the prospecting landscape has changed already from the last couple years. Licensed or not, donruss is back,
razor's around, and Bowman already has to compete.

There's room.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
This is fun reading.....

I actually get motivated by naysayers and those wishing us failure...

I dont give up and play to win!....

It is however my great wish that you guys enjoy Razor Signature Series Baseball that hits this week!...

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
smt1192 said:
I am indifferent, although the one player that I met that was signed with Razor was pretty down to earth (Derik Gibson).

Great Kid, I talked to him down in Oneonta right after he got called up to Lowell. Talked a little football and Lowell's playoff run. Gibson's Dolphins are looking good, cause I go to the kid they could be better than the Bills lol.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
razorent said:
It is however my great wish that you guys enjoy Razor Signature Series Baseball that hits this week!...

I hope my local card shop or the box I ordered from All in Cards gets here this week. I'm looking forward to seeing these in person.

Incline Investments

Aug 15, 2008
Cali
Why don't people realize, that if RAZOR fails, Topps can go back to producing their same ****** product as before? RAZOR scared Topps into getting it's **** together this year, and Topps put together a solid product.

Competition is great!

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Incline Investments said:
Why don't people realize, that if RAZOR fails, Topps can go back to producing their same shatty product as before? RAZOR scared Topps into getting it's shat together this year, and Topps put together a solid product.

Competition is great!

They did NOT put together a solid product. In fact, it's a shatty product masked by a decent auto checklist. The base set is complete crap and the few names with potential have an uphill battle to say the least. They also have a LONG way to go in terms of return investments.

Anyone that says they outright want Razor to fail is a moron. Yea, I said it - moron.

Competition is a great thing for this hobby. It stops the companies that are run by monekys don't hit us with the poop they constantly throw around. A company that takes risks and listens to the consumer keeps the other companies on their toes. It keeps them from resting on their laurels.

bc81758

Sep 1, 2008
I don't care one way or another. There will be those who insist on seeing their draft picks in MLB uniforms and some who don't care.

The one perspective not talked about much are those who will buy the cards to get them signed in person or through the mail by the players on the cards.

Story goes that as soon as the draft picks were signed by Razor, most stopped signing because they were told not to sign the cards by Razor.

I am not sure about the story as I don't graph minor league baseball. I'd like to hear the stories from minor league graphers if they encountered that this year.

Incline Investments

Aug 15, 2008
Cali
NECpilgrims8 said:
Why don't people realize, that if RAZOR fails, Topps can go back to producing their same shatty product as before? RAZOR scared Topps into getting it's shat together this year, and Topps put together a solid product.

Competition is great!

They did NOT put together a solid product. In fact, it's a shatty product masked by a decent auto checklist. The base set is complete crap and the few names with potential have an uphill battle to say the least. They also have a LONG way to go in terms of return investments.

Anyone that says they outright want Razor to fail is a moron. Yea, I said it - moron.

Competition is a great thing for this hobby. It stops the companies that are run by monekys don't hit us with the poop they constantly throw around. A company that takes risks and listens to the consumer keeps the other companies on their toes. It keeps them from resting on their laurels.

I meant as opposed to what would have come out had RAZOR done nothing. Compared to 2006? So much better. The Auto checklist is very good, and the base set is acceptable for what they had to work with (all the exclusives missing). I can see next year's BDP being one of the best to date.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:

Competition is great!

I don't want them to fail (as stated in my previous post) but isn't calling someone a "moron" for having an opinion a bit harsh? Maybe those that marked that option in the poll disagree with your sentiment (as there could be a partial explanation in your own explanation on BDP's crummy base set, because Razor basically signed the entire first round to thier exclusive contract's (as I'm sure Topps didn't want to be forced into a bidding war). Personally I don't agree with those that hope for Razor's failure but I'm not going to "bash, bait, or call them out" because thier opinion differs from my own....

Members online

Latest posts