Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bonds guilty of obstruction of justice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
onionring9 said:
chashawk said:
onionring9 said:
JoshHamilton said:
uniquebaseballcards said:
[quote="henderson939":dkxb1yq0]Like I said, it all goes back to the roids. Without them there is no trial for perjury. Any way you slice it, is a waste of time & money for basically a witch hunt.
Bonds wasted the tax payer's money, not roids or the government here. Unless you're saying a side effect of roids is to make people lie?
Bonds didn't waste the taxpayers' money, the government did
I wonder how many teachers jobs could have been saved with the amount of money thrown at this.
Do people realize how their government actually works?

All of these monies are allocated at the beggining of the fiscal year, before anything actually takes place.

My mother-in-law is a teacher, so I'm very sensitive to this issue, but one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

That's like saying: "how many teacher's jobs could be saved if we weren't fighting in several different places in the Middle East?"

or

"how many teacher's jobs could be saved if so many petty marijuana offenders weren't in prisons?"

The defense budget has nothing to do with education.

The federal prosecutors, judges, etc. all get paid whether they are trying Bonds, or whoever the next person is on the docket.

I'm not making a correlation to the tax dollars and how they are spent...I'm just saying millions of dollars could have been spent better.

And yes, the monies wasted on bonds were wasted because those judges and the congress and all that time (money) that was spent on this should have been spent on a more important issue.[/quote:dkxb1yq0]
1. tell me the more important issue
2. tell me when Bonds appeared before congress

Barry Bonds was called to testify in the grand jury investigation into the Bay Area Labratory Co-Operative.
Barry Bonds perjured himself under oath, obstructing a federal grand jury investigation.
This is a federal crime, whether it's Barry Bonds or you or me.

The only extra money spent was by the media outlets covering the trial.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
onionring9 said:
onionring9 said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="henderson939":hph7pxi5]Like I said, it all goes back to the roids. Without them there is no trial for perjury. Any way you slice it, is a waste of time & money for basically a witch hunt.

Bonds wasted the tax payer's money, not roids or the government here. Unless you're saying a side effect of roids is to make people lie?

I wonder how many teachers jobs could have been saved with the amount of money thrown at this.

The federal government pays teacher salaries? Hmm, that's the last thing states or local jurisdictions want.

This is all amazing to read here.

Who said that? I just said, I wonder how many teachers jobs would have been saved if the money was spent elsewhere.

2+2=4
not 7

It's more amazing what people read into what people say.[/quote:hph7pxi5]

You said that. Its a federal case, not a state or local case. Your response indicated you didn't know how teachers are paid in this country.

Back on topic, its great to see that the famous and rich can't always break the law and get away with it. Sets a terrible precedent if he wasn't even brought up on charges. Maybe the judge should order Bonds to pay all court costs.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
henderson939 said:
Like I said, it all goes back to the roids. Without them there is no trial for perjury. Any way you slice it, is a waste of time & money for basically a witch hunt.

The government lied and obstructed justice?

No. Congress stuck their nose in a matter that didn't concern them whatsoever in the first place. They've wasted billions of dollars interfering in what was basically a union vs. owners disagreement.

Steroids is a problem, but it's not something the government should get involved with.

Just like the Tommy Chong trial, the government has managed to waste millions of dollars to bring down a public figurehead of a retarded drug "war," while important things like the school and social security funds are pilfered

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
JoshHamilton said:
JoshHamilton said:
henderson939 said:
Like I said, it all goes back to the roids. Without them there is no trial for perjury. Any way you slice it, is a waste of time & money for basically a witch hunt.

The government lied and obstructed justice?
No. Congress stuck their nose in a matter that didn't concern them whatsoever in the first place. They've wasted billions of dollars interfering in what was basically a union vs. owners disagreement.

Steroids is a problem, but it's not something the government should get involved with.

Just like the Tommy Chong trial, the government has managed to waste millions of dollars to bring down a public figurehead of a retarded drug "war," while important things like the school and social security funds are pilfered
Not one single second of that had to do with why Barry Bonds was just on trial.

This country is an amazing place.

If we were talking about Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Rafael Palmiero or Roger Clemens, you'd have a point, sort of.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
JoshHamilton said:

I didn't know you set the Congressional agenda.

It doesn't matter here because Bonds wasn't tried before Congress...and Bonds wasn't convicted of taking illegal steroids. The charges were obstructing justice and perjury.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
chashawk said:

If we were talking about Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Rafael Palmiero or Roger Clemens, you'd have a point, sort of.

You're putting the cart before the horse. There should have never been a Grand Jury to begin with. Hell Palmero actually tested positive after saying he never took roids yet I don't see him being brought up on charges.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
chashawk said:

You're putting the cart before the horse. There should have never been a Grand Jury to begin with. Hell Palmero actually tested positive after saying he never took roids yet I don't see him being brought up on charges.
They seriously considered it but decided it would be difficult to prove that he actually took whatever made him fail the test before he testified.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Mighty Bombjack said:
kdailey4315 said:
chashawk said:

They seriously considered it but decided it would be difficult to prove that he actually took whatever made him fail the test before he testified.

It couldn't have been harder than collecting evidence for 5 years and 4 court extensions.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
kdailey4315 said:
chashawk said:

BONDS LIED DURING A GRAND JURY INVESTIGATION OF A COMPANY THAT WAS PRODUCING AND DISTRIBUTING STEROIDS ALL OVER THE WORLD

It's not that damned difficult to understand.

The original trial, ya know the one where Bonds perjured himself, had nothing to do with Bonds.
It was about BALCO. He lied during his testimony in the BALCO trial. That is a federal crime.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
onionring9 said:
onionring9 said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="uniquebaseballcards":2t2sobmh][quote="henderson939":2t2sobmh]Like I said, it all goes back to the roids. Without them there is no trial for perjury. Any way you slice it, is a waste of time & money for basically a witch hunt.

The federal government pays teacher salaries? Hmm, that's the last thing states or local jurisdictions want.

Who said that? I just said, I wonder how many teachers jobs would have been saved if the money was spent elsewhere.

2+2=4
not 7

It's more amazing what people read into what people say.[/quote:2t2sobmh]

You said that. Its a federal case, not a state or local case. Your response indicated you didn't know how teachers are paid in this country.[/quote:2t2sobmh]

My friggin response was an off the cuff "Hmmm I wonder" question. Not a statement on how the establishment of our government budgets taxes and how they should be diverted and subsidized and bla bla bla

christ you guys read way too much into posts here

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
onionring9 said:
onionring9 said:
onionring9 said:
[quote="JoshHamilton":17d3p04h][quote="uniquebaseballcards":17d3p04h][quote="henderson939":17d3p04h]Like I said, it all goes back to the roids. Without them there is no trial for perjury. Any way you slice it, is a waste of time & money for basically a witch hunt.

2+2=4
not 7

It's more amazing what people read into what people say.[/quote:17d3p04h]

You said that. Its a federal case, not a state or local case. Your response indicated you didn't know how teachers are paid in this country.[/quote:17d3p04h]
My friggin response was an off the cuff "Hmmm I wonder" question. Not a statement on how the establishment of our government budgets taxes and how they should be diverted and subsidized and bla bla bla

christ you guys read way too much into posts here[/quote:17d3p04h]
well then thank you for you pointless, off the cuff response that added nothing to the discussion... :lol:

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
chashawk said:
kdailey4315 said:
chashawk said:

BONDS LIED DURING A GRAND JURY INVESTIGATION OF A COMPANY THAT WAS PRODUCING AND DISTRIBUTING STEROIDS ALL OVER THE WORLD

The original trial, ya know the one where Bonds perjured himself, had nothing to do with Bonds.
It was about BALCO. He lied during his testimony in the BALCO trial. That is a federal crime.

I believe he was found not guilty of lying no matter how big you make the font.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
chashawk said:

Rafael didn't lie in the BALCO *federal case*, he lied to Congress.

On November 10, 2005, ESPN reported that the House Government Reform Committee would not seek perjury charges against Palmeiro, although they were not clearing him.

These guys have lots of character and integrity ::facepalm::

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
kdailey4315 said:
chashawk said:
kdailey4315 said:
chashawk said:

I believe he was found not guilty of lying no matter how big you make the font.
regardless of the wavering by one or two moronic jurors, Bonds lied, period

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
onionring9 said:

But one can then ask: Is your knowledge regarding steroids off the cuff without your own research and investigation?

This is all edgy, serious public policy discussion stuff! Gotta come prepared to play.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
chashawk said:
kdailey4315 said:
chashawk said:

You can scream all you want man, the bottom line is when I ask myself the question:

Was this worth the time and money?

The answer was no at the beginning and seeing the results of what has transpired since the beginning, we can really see that no, this was absolutely not worth the 10's of millions spent.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
JoshHamilton said:

I didn't know you set the Congressional agenda.

I don't, but as a voter and a taxpayer, I sure as hell have the right to bitch about it.

The entire steroid witch hunt was a huge waste of time and money. Time and money that could have gone toward much more pressing issues facing this country (I'm well aware of how money is budgeted, chashawk, so save it). Issues that actually affect this nation and our citizens' wellbeing.

To reiterate what henderson939 said, Bonds should never have been charged in the first place, because the government should have never gotten involved in the first place

It's one of those things we'll look back at in 50 years when America is a 3rd world country and think "what a fracking waste"

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
onionring9 said:

But one can then ask: Is your knowledge regarding steroids off the cuff without your own research and investigation?

This is all edgy, serious public policy discussion stuff! Gotta come prepared to play.

So if I ask "I wonder how many beers I could have bought with my mortgage payment" I have to justify my ability to make an off the cuff question with my knowledge of my budget based on both my wife and my income, the taxes spent, the amount of money I allot for mortgage and pleasure and ...?

seriously?

Edit* this always reminds me of why I don't like forums. Had we been actually talking, you probably wouldn't have even heard it, but here it's turned into a battle of how smart you are.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
I don't, but as a voter and a taxpayer, I sure as hell have the right to bitch about it.

The entire steroid witch hunt was a huge waste of time and money. Time and money that could have gone toward much more pressing issues facing this country (I'm well aware of how money is budgeted, chashawk, so save it). Issues that actually affect this nation and our citizens' wellbeing.

To reiterate what henderson939 said, Bonds should never have been charged in the first place, because the government should have never gotten involved in the first place

It's one of those things we'll look back at in 50 years when America is a 3rd world country and think "what a fracking waste"

What you're really saying is that lying under oath is OK and that famous people should be able to get away with it.

If you lied under oath and the law found out about it, your butt would be in a sling...and you know it.

Members online

Latest posts