Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bryce Harper USA Superfractor Confirmed Sale @ $12,500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Nice pick-up on the Harper!

Any time you spend big money on a young player, it will be a risk, but the potential rewards are astronomical.

Don't be discouraged by the haters - they either can't afford it or are just jealous.

But don't totally ignore the people who caution you as well - folks have been slaughtered by the "prospecting" game in the past, so others are there to warn you about history.

Regardless, obviously you can afford to take a hit in the worst possible way (ie, career ending injury or just a flop), so enjoy the limelight while you can, and be glad you can actually afford a card like that.

admetstiger

Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, NY
brouthercard said:

Any time you spend big money on a young player, it will be a risk, but the potential rewards are astronomical.

Don't be discouraged by the haters - they either can't afford it or are just jealous.

But don't totally ignore the people who caution you as well - folks have been slaughtered by the "prospecting" game in the past, so others are there to warn you about history.

Regardless, obviously you can afford to take a hit in the worst possible way (ie, career ending injury or just a flop), so enjoy the limelight while you can, and be glad you can actually afford a card like that.

I hear you brother.... Thanks guys...

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
brouthercard said:

So in conclusion, dont be discouraged by the haters but listen to them because they've been in the game and may know something about what they are talking about.

I havent seen alot of hate here, I've seen alot of opinions.

As for the OP, if you're happy with your purchase, thats all that matters. Personally, I could have bought alot of bryce harpers for that money which will have a better ROI but that's probably because I like to swim in the shallow end.

Good luck and welcome!

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
In my opinion this is his best card and always will be no matter what is produced in the future. However, in my opinion I dont think you will ever be able to sell the card for more than 10k. Both those statements are my opinion though, obviously not fact.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
admetstiger, congrats on the purchase and welcome to FCB! Remember that publicity attracts the idiots so put that puppy in a safe place. As for the price, I feel as long as you're comfortable paying that much it's OK (especially since you say it's yours long-term).

As for the folks railing on and on about the price...why do some women buy Birkin bags when there are so many other less expensive alternatives? Probably because they want to and they have the means.

admetstiger

Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, NY
miguelcabrera said:
In my opinion this is his best card and always will be no matter what is produced in the future. However, in my opinion I dont think you will ever be able to sell the card for more than 10k. Both those statements are my opinion though, obviously not fact.

We haven't seen a player with a Superfractor go to the Hall yet because it is a pretty new concept. In twenty years, we will have a better idea on how to price them...

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
carlitoson said:
admetstiger, congrats on the purchase and welcome to FCB! Remember that publicity attracts the idiots so put that puppy in a safe place. As for the price, I feel as long as you're comfortable paying that much it's OK (especially since you say it's yours long-term).

As for the folks railing on and on about the price...why do some women buy Birkin bags when there are so many other less expensive alternatives? Probably because they want to and they have the means.

A lot of people railing on him are jealous. Some people though actually feel the card wont ever sell for that price again like myself.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
miguelcabrera said:
A lot of people railing on him are jealous. Some people though actually feel the card wont ever sell for that price again like myself.

It's probably because we all know how the prospecting game goes. It's hard to pay HOF prices for a 17 year old who hasn't played in a MLB game yet. I just don't think the card will sell for a price like that again but ask me again in 30 years when and if he's being considered for the HOF. ;)

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
lisu said:
miguelcabrera said:

It's probably because we all know how the prospecting game goes. It's hard to pay HOF prices for a 17 year old who hasn't played in a MLB game yet. I just don't think the card will sell for a price like that again but ask me again in 30 years when and if he's being considered for the HOF. ;)

This is true (about the 30 years and IF he is being considered for the HOF. Nobody knows much about that because chrome and supers are only 5 years old, so there is no history to see the price value of what happens when somebody even is at the end of their career, nevermind retiring, or being considered for the HOF. There is no history to point to to know what would happen price wise on these cards. However we have some history for some stars in the game today like Tulo, Braun etc. Braun is one of the best in the game, and his super only sold for 8k. Tulo is a great young star who had a tear of a month, and his only sold (didnt meet reserve) for 2k. Those numbers we can go off of, and it has to say something about how much the Harper can be worth a few years from now.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
bmc398 said:
Leaf said:
ricefan77 said:
is it tasteless because he used your name? or tasteless because he stated fact? I'm confused.

No need to be confused. The guy supposedly got tons of offers. First, he called out no one else. Why not list the 100 people who offered between $1 and $1000? Fact is $6750 is a significant and reasonable sum to offer. It might not have been enough for him, which is fine. I didnt state he wouldnt get more than $8000 in a jerky way. I just told him I couldnt see it selling for more than that.

Bottom line, to call out one bidder of hundreds like that as a lowballer on a nationally recognized website when in fact they offered a fair and substantial sum is tasteless.

BG
Its also rude to tell him that he won't get anymore than $8000 for it. Obviously you weren't stating the facts.

Statement taken out of context, I told him I did not think he would get over $8000 for it. It was stated as a pure opinion in a nice way, not said in a jerky know it all way. BG

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Leaf said:
Statement taken out of context, I told him I did not think he would get over $8000 for it. It was stated as a pure opinion in a nice way, not said in a jerky know it all way. BG

I'm sure everyone has had that happen before. I've actually offered a lower amount for cards in the past and been countered by the seller and walked away thinking there's no way he'd get that. Then someone else actually pays it. It's happened to me as both a buyer and a seller.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
admetstiger said:
lisu said:
Leaf said:
ricefan77 said:
is it tasteless because he used your name? or tasteless because he stated fact? I'm confused.

No need to be confused. The guy supposedly got tons of offers. First, he called out no one else. Why not list the 100 people who offered between $1 and $1000? Fact is $6750 is a significant and reasonable sum to offer. It might not have been enough for him, which is fine. I didnt state he wouldnt get more than $8000 in a jerky way. I just told him I couldnt see it selling for more than that.

Bottom line, to call out one bidder of hundreds like that as a lowballer on a nationally recognized website when in fact they offered a fair and substantial sum is tasteless.

BG

$6,750 is more than fair. $12,500 is crazy for an unautographed piece of cardboard isn't even a true prospect or rookie card.

So you think that I am crazy for paying $12.5K for it? Even when the Pristine 10 Red Ref sold for $13K? Even though this card and the Strasburg made the 2010 Bowman product one of the most successful selling products ever?

Congrats on collecting a super card (pun intended). Price wasnt cheap, but buy what you like and you'll never go wrong!
Weclome to FCB! BG

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
I think some people in the sports card hobby are a bunch of fools.

Who cares if someone pays $12,500 for a baseball card. I feel bad for the guy that bought the Strasburg and I feel bad for this guy that bought the Harper. Not because they spent so much money, but because they are getting so much grief about it. As one member said "It's his money". He can do what he wants with it.

And as for Brian Gray, it's interesting how everyone is out to get him. Even with the Razor Rookie Retro, people were so quick to make all these dumb comments. You know what...it's a freakin business. And he happens to own the freakin company. He can do whatever the hell he wants. He's trying to make money. If you don't like his product or Brian Gray himself, don't buy it. It's that simple. I saw value in the Rookie Retro so I bought a case. I didn't make my money back, but I'm not mad. Brian didn't force me to buy it. Nor did he trick me. It was my decision based on my own evaluation of the product he was offering me. If I should be mad at anyone, I should be mad at myself. But I'm not because I had fun opening it. Isn't that what really matters?

Lastly, I LOVE LOVE LOVE how everyone is already discounting Harper's future when he hasn't played a single major league game. Whenever someone gets that much hype, all the haters have to come out in droves. Please tell me when you were 100% certain a player was going to have a successful career so you went out and bought up all of his cards for really cheap. Let's think of all the players we didn't think were going to be successful and sold their cards in grab bags...and now they are having historical careers. The bottom line is. YOU DON'T KNOW. Unless you can travel in time or your name is Nostradamus, you don't know. Very simple. You can speculate all you want, but you can not sit here and tell me without a shadow of a doubt whether a person will have a career or not. They can die in a car accident today. Or they could be the best player ever to play the sport. Really...we don't know right now. All we have to go by is what we know from their current stats. And what we know is...Bryce Harper is a freak. The same thing can be said about Strasburg. Tommy Johns? We don't know how he will recover, but if history is any indication, he may still be a beast when he comes back. I don't know...and neither do you. So there's no point in arguing something we have no control over.

Kudos to admetstiger. Kudos to Brian Gray. Kudos to the guy that sold the Harper card even though that was pretty low for him to single out Brian Gray like that. And Kudos to the guy that sparked this years hobby frenzy by paying astronomical amounts for that Strasburg Superfractor. Thanks to you, you've brought people back into the hobby. I can tell you this, I wouldn't be collecting if it wasn't for him. I'm sure there are thousands more like me. And people like admetstiger...you keep the hobby interesting knowing there are people like you that aren't afraid to spend money on things you want. Why would I want to dump thousands of dollars every year into a hobby when there's no hope for any kind of return. But you get people spending 12 grand on a slightly damaged card and it keeps you in the hunt for more like it.

Everyone needs to lighten up. Go hug someone. Go out and get some ice cream.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
To be fair, all the 'lovers' come out in droves along with the haters too - and by lovers I don't just mean the people producing all the hype, although they can be the biggest component of the 'lover' segment.

Certainly anything's possible, one should hope from a hobby perspective that potential buyers in this scenario clearly understand and/or can afford the risk. As much as possible should be as transparent as possible in order to help potential buyers understand what they're getting into, and this definitely includes the likelihood of taking a financial loss. Financial planning 101.

Experience tells us the 'haters' are usually right long-term, and its easier to be a 'lover' when you plan to duck out before any real risk surfaces short-term or if money isn't an issue for you.

sportscardfanatic said:
...Whenever someone gets that much hype, all the haters have to come out in droves...

admetstiger

Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, NY
Congrats on collecting a super card (pun intended). Price wasnt cheap, but buy what you like and you'll never go wrong!
Weclome to FCB! BG[/quote]
Thanks BG... Sounds like good advice...

admetstiger

Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, NY
uniquebaseballcards said:
To be fair, all the 'lovers' come out in droves along with the haters too - and by lovers I don't just mean the people producing all the hype, although they can be the biggest component of the 'lover' segment.

Certainly anything's possible, one should hope from a hobby perspective that potential buyers in this scenario clearly understand and/or can afford the risk. As much as possible should be as transparent as possible in order to help potential buyers understand what they're getting into, and this definitely includes the likelihood of taking a financial loss. Financial planning 101.

Experience tells us the 'haters' are usually right long-term, and its easier to be a 'lover' when you plan to duck out before any real risk surfaces short-term or if money isn't an issue for you.

sportscardfanatic said:
...Whenever someone gets that much hype, all the haters have to come out in droves...

If someone else had bought the card instead of me, then I might not ever see it again. I wanted it for my collection and I was willing to spend the money to get it... Maybe it will be worth $9k after everything is said and done... Maybe it will be worth $70K... Don't underestimate where the hobby might be in 30 years, as it is a part of Americana, and it's popularity is growing world-wide...

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
uniquebaseballcards said:

sportscardfanatic said:

True. I agree. The "lovers" do come out in droves. Like when the Saints won the Superbowl...since when did the Saints have that many fans? :D

But still, I don't see the point in all the negativity. I see more negative comments than I see positive comments.

Look at the whole Strasburg Refractor. Didn't the guy say he was getting threats and people got his address and phone number??? Just because he paid a fortune for that card? I mean...I'm sure there is more to it...but when it comes down to it, it's really unncessary for anyone to give him a hard time over that. It is what it is. And like admetstiger said...if he didn't get the 1/1 card...someone else would have...and he may never see it again. How much is a card worth? It's just a piece of cardboard. But it's the only one in existance.

Since I've been on these forums, I've met so many mean people, with a few nice people sprinkled in. Not that it means anything, but I can tell you this...it doesn't make me want to keep collecting. Everyone is so negative.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I don't know if they're mean or if they're being realistic - probably a combination of the two. But I'm sure you'd agree its ridiculous for everybody to be positive...or should I say 'bullish'. If people, especially novices, saw an outpouring of bullishness (aka hype) they'd think they can't go wrong with any particular purchase...and that's terrible for the hobby...but it happens.

The hobby *should* be realistic but that's seemingly not to everyone's advantage right now... One would hope that there'd be unbiased information available speaking to the actual risks involved. I'm guessing there aren't any financial planning or risk aversion professionals on this board?!

sportscardfanatic said:
True. I agree. The "lovers" do come out in droves. Like when the Saints won the Superbowl...since when did the Saints have that many fans? :D

But still, I don't see the point in all the negativity. I see more negative comments than I see positive comments.

Look at the whole Strasburg Refractor. Didn't the guy say he was getting threats and people got his address and phone number??? Just because he paid a fortune for that card? I mean...I'm sure there is more to it...but when it comes down to it, it's really unncessary for anyone to give him a hard time over that. It is what it is. And like admetstiger said...if he didn't get the 1/1 card...someone else would have...and he may never see it again. How much is a card worth? It's just a piece of cardboard. But it's the only one in existance.

Since I've been on these forums, I've met so many mean people, with a few nice people sprinkled in. Not that it means anything, but I can tell you this...it doesn't make me want to keep collecting. Everyone is so negative.

Members online

Latest posts