Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chipper Jones Hall of Famer??

Is Chipper a FIRST Balot Hall of Famer?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
chipper.jpg

chippernonoignmn4nk4jm5.gif

face-icon-small-happy.gif

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Murray spent a lot of time at DH. That is why he was able to reach those milestones. Chipper is a better hitter, defender and base stealer by a mile. Rose has the hit record due to longevity, but for my money, Chipper is a better overall player. Rose and Murray's per-162 games averages are bested by Chipper in the majority of categories.

While I find "per-162" stats useful I believe that part of playing the game is playing the game. If Griffey would have stayed healthy...but he didn't. Longevity is something to be rewarded as well. It made a hero out of Ripken.

Frow

Murray spent a lot of time at DH. That is why he was able to reach those milestones. Chipper is a better hitter, defender and base stealer by a mile. Rose has the hit record due to longevity, but for my money, Chipper is a better overall player. Rose and Murray's per-162 games averages are bested by Chipper in the majority of categories.

That doesn't even begin to make sense. Rose spent 19 years with Cincy and broke the first milestone which is just as long as Chipper played for the Braves. It also seems kind of silly to throw longevity out the window since half of what makes a good baseball player is the ability to show up and help out the team. Not really seeing his amazing defensive feats either.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
That doesn't even begin to make sense. Rose spent 19 years with Cincy and broke the first milestone which is just as long as Chipper played for the Braves. It also seems kind of silly to throw longevity out the window since half of what makes a good baseball player is the ability to show up and help out the team. Not really seeing his amazing defensive feats either.

Don't try to make sense. Sportscardtheory probably thinks that Hank Aaron was a compiler.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
this guy! I may be the only one who votes no. But with no major statistical milestones hit, no standout career defining moment, he is not one of the greatest defenders at his position, no way he is first ballot.

You must not remember the 1999 September series with the Mets that won the Braves the division, and Chipper the MVP.

The Braves were leading the Mets by one game in the division going into the Atlanta series, and the Braves swept them. Chipper went 2-4 with 2 HRs in the 2-1 win on Tuesday (game 151), 1-4 with a 2 run HR and a BB in a 5-2 win on Wednesday, and 1-3 with a 3 run HR and 2 BB in a 6-3 win on Thursday.

bigmick33

Jun 20, 2010
Atlanta
You must not remember the 1999 September series with the Mets that won the Braves the division, and Chipper the MVP.

The Braves were leading the Mets by one game in the division going into the Atlanta series, and the Braves swept them. Chipper went 2-4 with 2 HRs in the 2-1 win on Tuesday (game 151), 1-4 with a 2 run HR and a BB in a 5-2 win on Wednesday, and 1-3 with a 3 run HR and 2 BB in a 6-3 win on Thursday.

I remember the 3-13 in the 1999 World Series.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
In no way was Murray better than Chipper and a case could be made that Rose wasn't better. For my money, Chipper is the best switch hitter since Mantle. My opinion, of course.
Agreed 100%!

Here are Chippers splits compared to the great Michael Jack Schmidt:

CJ: .304/.401/.531
MS: .267/.380/.527

It's funny because if I made a poll asking who was better offensively I'm sure 98% of you would say Schmidt. I'll agree he was the better overall player, but IMO Chipper is the better hitter. Tis' why I picked Chipper in the All-Time Team poll....who doesn't want a switch hitting 3B with a .400 OBP?!:cool:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
MLB hall of famer. YES. MLB FIRST ballot HOF: NO Braves team HOF First Ballot: YES

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
To be fair, the poll would probably be no better than 50/50 if the title question matched the question the OP had in the first post. Coming into the thread you have read "Chipper Jones Hall of Famer??" and then in big font that's the poll question. So like many folks I voted YES and there's probably little debate about that. But I agree with many of the others in that he's probably not 1st ballot.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Can we vote C: for indifference. It's not going to ruin the hall if he gets in but not an omg he has to be type player. I'm a bit surprised he didn't lead the league in more categories.

This... I know he is a HOFer but maybe not first ballot IMO.

Since Chipper didn't accomplish any major milestones, I thought I'd list out his season averages below for the thread...

Chipper 162 game avg.
BA: .304 (.295)
HR: 31 (40)
2B: 36 (41)
3B: 3 (2)
RBI: 106 (130)
OBP: .402 (.369)
OPS: .933 (.933)
SLG: .531 (.564)
TB: 310 (347)
Hits: 177 (182)
Runs: 106 (103)

In parentheses I placed another player who also didn't accomplish any major milestones and who will never see the HOF ;)

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
This... I know he is a HOFer but maybe not first ballot IMO.

Since Chipper didn't accomplish any major milestones, I thought I'd list out his season averages below for the thread...

Chipper 162 game avg.
BA: .304 (.295)
HR: 31 (40)
2B: 36 (41)
3B: 3 (2)
RBI: 106 (130)
OBP: .402 (.369)
OPS: .933 (.933)
SLG: .531 (.564)
TB: 310 (347)
Hits: 177 (182)
Runs: 106 (103)

In parentheses I placed another player who also didn't accomplish any major milestones and who will never see the HOF ;)

Chipper's season averages are over a 19 year career.

Belle's are barely 10 years.

Deal with it dude Belle is not a HOF'er

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
YES and yes to the other 5 threads started since he annouced he was going to retire after this season.....Oh and here is to the other 5+ that will be posted by the seasons end
cheers.jpg

Members online

Latest posts