Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chipper Jones Hall of Famer??

Is Chipper a FIRST Balot Hall of Famer?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I can't think of a better complete 3rd baseman than Chipper besides Mike Schmidt. George Brett didn't stay there his entire career. ARod had some MVP years as a 3rd baseman but was more productive as a SS and I would take Chipper defensively over ARod. Brooks has the edge defensively but certainly not offensively.

Someone help me out here, there has to be someone I'm missing.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Chipper: clean as far as we know (roids)

PEDs make the question of whether Chipper a first-ballot HOFer tough simply because Chipper is being compared to the stats the 'roiders had.

If there never was McGwire, Sosa, Bonds or Palmeiro's inflated stats I think everyone would think Chipper would be first ballot. I also like the one-team thing.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
So.... what is the hall of fame about? Lets look at the key word here. FAME! Did he have FAME?::facepalm::....YES,YES and Yes to all 3 questions. HOF, 1st time ballot,FAME. You have got to be kidding me!:eek:
P>S> YOU speled balot ronge

Last edited:

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
Just a mini-rant, but it's stupid that there is such a thing as first ballot / second ballot / etc. HoFers. Is he one of the greats of the game, absolutely. Will he be in the hall, without a doubt unless he screws up AKA Pete Rose style. Will his name always be part of the discussion of great 3rd basemen, absolutely.

HoF voters that feel someone doesn't deserve a vote solely based on the number of times they've appeared on a ballot should lose their vote. Their aren't and shouldn't be tiers to the Hof players.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I can't think of a better complete 3rd baseman than Chipper besides Mike Schmidt. George Brett didn't stay there his entire career. ARod had some MVP years as a 3rd baseman but was more productive as a SS and I would take Chipper defensively over ARod. Brooks has the edge defensively but certainly not offensively.

Someone help me out here, there has to be someone I'm missing.

Brett played 2,200 games. 1,692 of those at 3rd base (461 at 1st)

Chipper 2,337 games. 1,924 at 3rd (364 in the OF)

Schmidt 2,399 games. 2,167 at 1st (157 at 1st)

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
He is a no doubt Hall of Famer and he will be a first ballot Hall of Famer as well.

Frow

So.... what is the hall of fame about? Lets look at the key word here. FAME! Did he have FAME?::facepalm::....YES,YES and Yes to all 3 questions. HOF, 1st time ballot,FAME. You have got to be kidding me!:eek:
P>S> YOU speled balot ronge

Seeing that every player is on television being beamed to millions of households every night, every player has "fame" and is just a lame argument for enshrinement.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Brett played 2,200 games. 1,692 of those at 3rd base (461 at 1st)

Chipper 2,337 games. 1,924 at 3rd (364 in the OF)

Schmidt 2,399 games. 2,167 at 1st (157 at 1st)

Wow didn't know George played that much at 3rd. I only got to watch him at the tail end of his career. Not sure who I would take offensively Chipper or Brett. Clearly Brett was a better contact hitter, but Chipper had more pop and was a switch hitter.

E, bias aside, who do you think was a better defender?

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Seeing that every player is on television being beamed to millions of households every night, every player has "fame" and is just a lame argument for enshrinement.
You are correct. Ruth was watched my millions of households every night. I guess some folks have to have to every word or frase explained to them in detail. Sorry bout that.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Face of the franchise for 2 decades.

Same as Mike Schmidt, George Brett and Robin Yount.

Injuries hurt Chipper or he would have had 3000 hits and possibly 500 HRs

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Chipper's season averages are over a 19 year career.

Belle's are barely 10 years.

Deal with it dude Belle is not a HOF'er

I said Chipper is a HOFer and Belle will never be. Also, the HOF made the rule (not me) that you only need 10 years to be considered and Belle actually had 12 official years.

Last and most importantly, I don't think you or anyone else should harp on the fact Chipper played 19 seasons, IMO if you play that long and are a HOF PLAYER you should have a milestone.

Members online

Latest posts