Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cliff Lee to the RANGERS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Wow. M's could've done better IMO. +1 for the Rangers.

19braves77 said:
Getting texts:

RHP Blake Beavan, RHP Josh Lueke, and 2B Matt Lawson

Yuck if true.....

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Canocollector#1 said:
19braves77 said:
Getting texts:

Yuck if true.....

They wanted this more than Montero, Adams, McAllister?

Since when are Adams and Mcallister anything more than throw-ins?

Maybe Montero has really dropped in some scouts eyes? Isn't that possible?

blazers091

Dec 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
blazers091 said:
markakis8 said:
Anyone want to take guesses on the other three? I can't believe Smoak was enough to persuade the M's to walk away from NYY. I would think Martin Perez is one of the three.

beavan, Salty, davis stoneburner

Stoneburner is a Yankee, not a Ranger.....

I am going to say the other three are Engel Beltre, Blake beavan, and ANYONE OTHER THAN MARTIN PEREZ!

skrip

nope, he's a ranger

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Great trade for the Mariners. Hopefully Ichiro will have something to play for in the next 3-5 years. He's getting old and hasn't won jack squat in America other than personal awards.

Allen

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
ballerskrip said:
Canocollector#1 said:
19braves77 said:
Getting texts:

Yuck if true.....

They wanted this more than Montero, Adams, McAllister?

Since when are Adams and Mcallister anything more than throw-ins?

Maybe Montero has really dropped in some scouts eyes? Isn't that possible?

But the deal is Cliff Lee, Mark Lowe and money ($4M?) for Smoak, Beaven, Lueke, and Lawson.

I wouldn't trade Montero and McAllister for Smoak, Beaven, Lueke, and Lawson let alone Cliff Lee and Mark Lowe.

I called it Johan Santana Part II. Extort the Yankees until they finally say no, then trade your star pitcher for a pile of dog crap.

Congrats Mariners, you blew it. :lol:

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
The general consensus among Mariner fans is that Smoak was the guy we all wanted and Montero we would settle for.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
so basically I view the trade like this:

Mariners: Justin Smoak & Blake Beavan plus money saved plus thank you cards from the Red Sox and Rays.

Rangers: Lee and the removal of a clubhouse cancer with Lowe

Plus, we possible get to see Pinata tonight.

pudge1760

Aug 9, 2008
Really happy to be getting Cliff Lee!!! A little sad to see Beavan go. He is a local kid that I was really looking forward to pitching in Arlington. Lueke is a reliever and Lawson will never supplant Kinsler. Basically this trade is Cliff Lee and Mark Lowe and Cash for Justin Smoak and Beavan. As a die hard Rangers fan I am Really excited!!!!

stu

Jan 24, 2010
Smoak is going to be a stud for a long time. He is not intimidated at the plate. He has a great eye. He will be a major player in a year.

Beavan just got promoted to AAA. The Rangers farm system completely redid his throwing motion. He was one of the youngest players in the Pacific League. Expect to see him in Seattle next year.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
19braves77 said:

Mariners: Justin Smoak & Blake Beavan plus money saved plus thank you cards from the Red Sox and Rays.

Did the Mariners get more than they would have gotten with the two comp picks they would have gotten if he signed elsewhere?

I think the answer to that is yes.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I'm a little disappointed with the non-Smoak parts of the deal, but I honestly think I'd rather have Smoak than Montero. Smoak is 3 years older, but has as much, if not more offensive potential than Montero and is a switch-hitter. Also, he's already an above-average defensive 1B, while Montero is still a below-average defensive catcher who's yet to put the 1B mitt on.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Canocollector#1 said:
Ken_Rosenthal

Smoak, RHP Bevan, RHP Luecke, IF Lawson heading to #Mariners. #Rangers #MLB

I can live with that. Smoak will be a Lyle Overbay type. Good but not great. Beavan #4 or #5 starter tops. Lueke is a late bloomer with a set up guy ceiling. We have tons of power relief arms in the system. Lawson is a utility guy at most. Lee finally gives us a true ace. Atleast we have a small chance in a series with the Yanks but not enough to get us to the series IMO. Weird that they threw in Lowe. He's hurt and won't be of any help this year. He did go to school in Arlington. Maybe Seattle threw him in for the hell of it.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
phillyfan0417 said:
19braves77 said:

Did the Mariners get more than they would have gotten with the two comp picks they would have gotten if he signed elsewhere?

I think the answer to that is yes.

Aren't the Mariners paying the rest of Lee's Contract ($4M) because of the troubles that they are going through.

This is up there with the Santana trade for dumb trading by a team.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
blazers091 said:
ballerskrip said:
blazers091 said:
markakis8 said:
Anyone want to take guesses on the other three? I can't believe Smoak was enough to persuade the M's to walk away from NYY. I would think Martin Perez is one of the three.

beavan, Salty, davis stoneburner

Stoneburner is a Yankee, not a Ranger.....

I am going to say the other three are Engel Beltre, Blake beavan, and ANYONE OTHER THAN MARTIN PEREZ!

skrip

nope, he's a ranger

I meant Graham Stoneburner, the best prospect with the name. My bad, didn't realize there was another one....

skrip

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
I don't get it. Ranger can't sign him for big contract next year. They are renting this players and is giving up big chip for it. They would rather have 2 yankees 32 round draft picks?

Mariners are u smoking crack Smoak > JESUS?

Members online

Latest posts