Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How did Topps make this huge Sonny Gray error in BDP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
What about this error? One's auto, one's not. Why is the info different lol, the auto says he was drafted in the 4th rd and the non-auto says 1st. And all the other info is different as well... doesn't make sense.

B263FBA6.jpg

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
bear0555 said:
I had only seen the autographed version so I didn't notice this. But seeing Sonny Gray wearing any number other than 2 is odd. Not sure how the 7 got there. If I was the op, I'd be pretty mad too.

Honestly, I'm not mad about it. I really haven't collected his stuff since he got drafted. Plus I lost my job, sold almost everything, got hired by another church 5 months later, and only recently started buying singles again. I've actually shifted to buying more veterans now for some reason. I should probably change my sig...lol.

To me though, I think it's huge because either someone added a number or saw it as 72 and took the 7 away. Just not sure how you use the exact same photo with photoshopped edits and still come up with two different cards. If I was collecting him, I would still buy the card but I would still think it was an idiotic mistake by Topps.

If it was another player, I'd say the same thing. There are way too many careless errors in the product this year. Most of us can't make errors like that in our jobs, especially if you work in print.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
onehrk said:
Um, I suppose I might be in the minority here; however, I certainly would be bothered if there was a Zito card with him wearing the incorrect number.

Big difference with prospect cards. Because that number likely wont be his real number when he finally makes it. He may wear #7 in HS.... college... and minors.... but once he makes the jump someone else might have it and he might have to change to #17 or #27 etc

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
It looks as if Topps did different proofs for the autos and the base cards. The autos are always done a lot earlier than the base cards when the autos are on-card, but why they would re-do the back and the photoshopping is beyond me. On the other hand, I can tell you that there is a problem with turnover and interdepartmental communication at Topps, and we are seeing that with all of the issues in this set.

Having said that, I don't personally get why this particular anomaly is an issue, given that Gray will most likely wear neither number if he makes the majors.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
If anything, I guess this proves that they don't use the printing plates (at least these) to make the actual cards and they are just another manufactured "relic."

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
ChasHawk said:
Todd44 said:
If anything, I guess this proves that they don't use the printing plates (at least these) to make the actual cards and they are just another manufactured "relic."
how exactly does this prove that?

doesn't prove a thing. The plate probably was used for the non-auto cards since the uniform numbers match up.

My feeling for printing plates being manuf. relics comes from the fact they seem too pristine to have been used. I don't see any light stray ink on them that I would expect in parts of the plate that are not exposed to the cardboard medium or when employees with ink-stained hands remove them from the machines after the plates' print run.

Members online

Latest posts