Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Mat Latos Article (signing autographs).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
If autograph seekers "bother" certain athletes they can always quit playing ball and get a job at Burger King or whereever. Like mentioned, signing autographs is part of being a professional athlete, it always has been and always will be.

Also i like how his wife keeps talking about these "ebayerz" that sell autographs online. Like come on, i cant see a MAt Latos IP auto selling for more than a few dollars or so. I cant imagine that there is too many Ebayers out thete trying to chase down Mat latos so they can get rich trying to sell his ip autos for $5 dollars.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
I work by the visiting hotel for both Mets and Yankee games and these "hounds" are something else. They do follow the players up and down the block with their binders, backpacks and sharpies stuck to the side of their heads under their caps! So funny but sad as well to watch. They are all ages from teenagers to 50+ balding guys with smelly sweats on!

The players can't get a cup of coffee without being followed! :benson:

I hope MORE players stop signing at hotels. This way, this can at least slow down or stop the hounding at their "second" homes.

WaxPax

G $MONEY$ said:
If autograph seekers "bother" certain athletes they can always quit playing ball and get a job at Burger King or whereever. Like mentioned, signing autographs is part of being a professional athlete, it always has been and always will be.

Also i like how his wife keeps talking about these "ebayerz" that sell autographs online. Like come on, i cant see a MAt Latos IP auto selling for more than a few dollars or so. I cant imagine that there is too many Ebayers out thete trying to chase down Mat latos so they can get rich trying to sell his ip autos for $5 dollars.

...Or they can choose not to sign....Why do so many people think it is a right of the requestor for these guys to sign....Seriously, THEY DO NOT OWE YOU ANYTHING !!!!

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Gotta love this reply to Latos' wife's post:

Dallas – I came across your blog by chance one day and I have to say that I applaud your bluntness. It is really refreshing to see someone like you taking a protective stance for baseball players’ families. Funny thing I discovered is that my husband knows Mat from their middle school days. :) Mat played with his younger brother Drew. Not sure if he remembers but it is a small world! My husband’s name is David Adams and he plays with the NY Yankees. :) Keep doing what you are doing! All the best – Camille

Yeah, he plays with the New York Yankees... Unless I'm mistaken, playing a few games in Rookie Ball and a few in High A last year (at the age of 24) doesn't make you anything other than property of the New York Yankees, not actually a New York Yankee.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
WaxPax said:
G $MONEY$ said:

...Or they can choose not to sign....Why do so many people think it is a right of the requestor for these guys to sign....Seriously, THEY DO NOT OWE YOU ANYTHING !!!!

Sorry, this is were we disagree, they owe the fans for everything in their lives

WaxPax

G $MONEY$ said:
WaxPax said:
[quote="G $MONEY$":2yqs1qqb]If autograph seekers "bother" certain athletes they can always quit playing ball and get a job at Burger King or whereever. Like mentioned, signing autographs is part of being a professional athlete, it always has been and always will be.

Sorry, this is were we disagree, they owe the fans for everything in their lives[/quote:2yqs1qqb]

While it is true that without fans; sports, theater, music and other froms of entertainment would not exist. However, athletes, actors and musicians only owe you for what you have paid for, such as a game, play or concert. Beyond that, there is no obligation to offer anything more.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
G $MONEY$ said:

Or the adults could "quit" standing outside hotels and restaurants begging in their private time (you know how the classy people tip waiters and doormen so they get a phone call when the player and his family make reservations). And you would be incorrect it hasnt always been like this. 30 years ago Joe D wanted to go to lunch he didnt have 25 boneheads begging outside the restaurants and waiting in bathrooms. And oh yeah 30 years ago people didnt run online when the autograph they felt entitled to gets denied and slag the player relentlessly. I see people here still bitching and moaning cause a player "didnt look up" at a signing, as if they where supposed to stand up and hug them like an old time friend. All I am saying is people expect way too much from these athletes.

And as for value last time I checked 20 $5 autos sell much better than a single $50 auto and that's why they do it.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
I don't respect autograph stalkers, I don't think that players are obligated to sign just because "we pay their salaries" though ticket sales and buying items that players endorse.

The only obligation that players have to give to the fans is 100% effort on the playing field, period.

I will be in Mesa at the Cubs game today, and I WILL NOT even try to get an IP auto. It might be humourous watching some idiots trying to get IP's though.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Here is one way to think about players "owing" autographs to people... This may be apples to oranges since one is obviously in more demand than the other, but it's how I use it to determine if a situation is appropriate.

A professional baseball player's job is to play baseball. A doctor's job is to be a doctor.

When a baseball player shows up for work, he puts on a jersey. When a doctor shows up to work, he puts a white coat on.

A doctor can answer medical questions for people, although he does not have to (unless he is paid to, that is). A baseball player can sign autographs, although he does not have to (unless he is paid to, that is).

If I need a medical question answered, am I going to go to the doctor's office during business hours, politely ask him the question, and then leave, or do I call him at his house, bother him at a restaurant, or stop him in the street when he is with his family?

If I need an autograph, do I show up to a game before game time, politely ask for the autograph, and then go back to my seat, or do I show up at his front door/hotel, bother him at a restaurant, or stop him in the street when he is with his family?

That's the short version, but my point is, there are times when it is appropriate to ask a professional for something you want, and there are times where it isn't.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
G $MONEY$ said:

You would be surprised. I have spent a good share of time around all types of IPers.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
hoopster3977 said:
I don't respect autograph stalkers, I don't think that players are obligated to sign just because "we pay their salaries" though ticket sales and buying items that players endorse.

The only obligation that players have to give to the fans is 100% effort on the playing field, period.

I will be in Mesa at the Cubs game today, and I WILL NOT even try to get an IP auto. It might be humourous watching some idiots trying to get IP's though.

I agree with everything you said.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

I make millions and I'm recognized in public.....

images

Ralph, I'm one of those idiots. I had a superstar not sign for me. He wasnt playing that day (ST game). No reason for him to say no to me other than my age. Needless to say I do not like that player anymore. Call me a bitch, I don't care. I certainly was not stalking, I was waiting where he said he'd sign after some BP. Came back and shot me a look like FU. I was the only guy there too.

WaxPax

thefatguy said:
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

images

Ralph, I'm one of those idiots. I had a superstar not sign for me. He wasnt playing that day (ST game). No reason for him to say no to me other than my age. Needless to say I do not like that player anymore. Call me a bitch, I don't care. I certainly was not stalking, I was waiting where he said he'd sign after some BP. Came back and shot me a look like FU. I was the only guy there too.

Bitch....Your kind is just pathetic

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
I have no problem with people who send items to players or personalities for autographs. I just cannot fathom why people chase around getting auto's that they are going to sell.

I have no problem with people having IP collections.

Just like Paul McCartney stated on why he doesn't sign autographs, "they will just end up on Ebay".

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
WaxPax said:
thefatguy said:

images

Thats an incredibly racist comment. What you got against WASPS?

;)

WaxPax

thefatguy said:
WaxPax said:
thefatguy said:

images

Thats an incredibly racist comment. What you got against WASPS?

;)

"Your Kind" being an Auto Stalker....Are you a complete idiot or are some of the pieces missing?.....

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Know how many IP autos I have from ST?

I would have 3, but said star wouldn't sign for me.

I dont know how I can be a stalker when the guy says I'll sign after BP, yet doesn't, when I'm the only person standing there.

Maybe I just intimidated him :lol:

Know how many IP autos I've sold?

Members online

Latest posts