Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Mat Latos Article (signing autographs).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
thefatguy said:
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

I make millions and I'm recognized in public.....

images

Ralph, I'm one of those idiots. I had a superstar not sign for me. He wasnt playing that day (ST game). No reason for him to say no to me other than my age. Needless to say I do not like that player anymore. Call me a bitch, I don't care. I certainly was not stalking, I was waiting where he said he'd sign after some BP. Came back and shot me a look like FU. I was the only guy there too.

Sounds to me like maybe YOU need the Wahmbulance.

I wouldn't call you a bitch, but you could just get over the fact that you were snubbed by a player. If he did snub you based on your age, maybe you should be more upset by the people your age who bring 20 copies of every card to get signed instead of the player who doesn't trust a guy your age because of said people.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
I guess I just dont like getting lied to my face.

I called Hank Conger over while he was in the bullpen, couldn't be happier to sign. Thanked him very much.

My father taught me to say, "Mr. Ballplayer, could you please sign my card? Thank you very much" I still do that.

If I was a stalker, I'd be at the Saddledome every day trying to get Flames sigs. I have 0 IP flames sigs. I dont care, I'm not an auto stalker.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
goldenegg1 said:
Getting multiple things signed or stalking them at a restaurant is kind of off limits.
But come on, is life really that hard sitting at home while your husband makes millions playing a kids game?
Thank you.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I really enjoyed trying to get autos at games and once at ST when I was younger, but once I hit 18 or so it just seemed kind of weird to be standing with a bunch of kids holding a pen and ball out.

I guess my stance now is that athletes are paid to play to the best of their abilities on the field/court/diamond. They can be the biggest ******* in the world if they go out and perform. That is what they are compensated for.

Go ahead and wait in line and ask for an autograph at the park if that floats your boat, but try to remember no one is obligated to sign for you.

tedc2379

May 19, 2010
San Diego
I'm a big Latos fan, but he's always been a little weird about signing autographs. You don't typically hear other ballplayers complain as much as he does (mostly through his wife on twitter or her blog). The guy isn't exactly Jeter or Pujols in terms of requests.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
tedc2379 said:
I'm a big Latos fan, but he's always been a little weird about signing autographs. You don't typically hear other ballplayers complain as much as he does (mostly through his wife on twitter or her blog). The guy isn't exactly Jeter or Pujols in terms of requests.
So the problem here isn't Latos; obviously its his wife that can't stand the attention and has an outlet to air her grievances.

Whats her career ERA? Why do/should we care about her?

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
thefatguy said:
tedc2379 said:
So the problem here isn't Latos; obviously its his wife that can't stand the attention and has an outlet to air her grievances.

She seems like a real attention *****. I wouldn't be surprised to see her on a show called baseball player's wives.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
PadresFan86 said:
thefatguy said:
tedc2379 said:

She seems like a real attention *****. I wouldn't be surprised to see her on a show called baseball player's wives.
Brenda Warner, Anna Benson

I should not know a players wife's name. Just like I shouldn't know an umpire's name.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
thefatguy said:
PadresFan86 said:
thefatguy said:
tedc2379 said:

Brenda Warner, Anna Benson

I should not know a players wife's name. Just like I shouldn't know an umpire's name.
I like how her article says she didn't know what she was getting into by marrying a baseball player. Holy crap, must be hard to instantly become rich and marry a millionaire. Must be a real hard life. I feel so sorry for her.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
As someone struggling to pay mortgage, I read that as a poor me piece, not a don't ask for autos piece. I'm sickened by those guys with pages of cards and a backpack full of balls to try to hawk later. I have never and will never do that. I politely asked for an autograph, was told to come back after BP, and was shut down doing what he told me to do. Like I said I dont like being lied to. Just say no not today the first time. Ive had that and respect that a ton more.

If you spot an athlete and he doesn’t seem to be in a rush or carrying 17 grocery bags, it’s okay to ask for an autograph or say “hi” or tell him to eat the opposing team alive in your inside voice. It’s even okay to go freaking crazy- it happens to the best of us, I just can’t tell you what reaction to expect.
I'd like to see ANYONE carry 17 grocery bags.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
"What fans may or may not understand is that during the season, ballplayers get very little personal time with their loved ones. If you see an athlete out to dinner with his spouse or family, that may be the only hour he gets to spend with them for weeks or even months."

I guess what she doesn't understand is that most of these fans including myself work 5 days a week (sometimes 6 or 7) 40+ hours a week allllllll year round. I don't get to work every 5 days from the mound for 2-3 hours and have October through February off. :lol:

socalsignatures

Aug 28, 2008
Clueless? No. Obvious difference of opinion from yourself? Yes.

Why the hostility towards me?

No, i never travelled with Mat but i traded with people who graph the MWL and Texas League and both people told me Mat was the toughest guy to get that year.

You and i both know i wasnt calling Mat Latos hot. Lol

jbhofmann said:
socalsignatures said:
An athletes wife telling people to not make money off her husbands athletic ability is the definition of the whole kettle/pot/back thing.

For the record, Mat never signed more than 1-2 at a time even as early as low-a ball in the MWL. He actually got better about signing once he hit the bigs and even then he had loads of attitude about it.

She should stick to being a hot athlete's wife and let Mat handle the autograph thing as he sees fit.

You're clueless.

Did you travel with Mat?

Are you calling Mat Latos hot? Because I'm pretty sure your sentence should read: She should stick to being an athlete's hot wife (not hot athlete's wife) and let Mat handle the autograph thing as he sees fit.

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
hoopster3977 said:
I have no problem with people who send items to players or personalities for autographs. I just cannot fathom why people chase around getting auto's that they are going to sell.

I have no problem with people having IP collections.

Just like Paul McCartney stated on why he doesn't sign autographs, "they will just end up on Ebay".
McCartney DOES sign autographs, so that quote is irrelevant.

Guys stopped signing because people are, in general, rude. Yes, the eBay stuff doesn't help, and yes, dropping a 30-stack on a single-A'er is probably worse, but it's mainly because people feel entitled about getting autographs. I'll be the first to admit I sell IP graphs on eBay, and dont see anything wrong with it, but I also really couldn't care less whether someone signs or not and dont think less of them if they don't unless they do something to warrant a negative opinion (i.e. the way Marshall Faulk carries himself, for example). Quite honestly, I think that people who get strictly cards signed for their collections are the most entitled-acting of all. A dude with a book of 100 cards is quick to get ****** with people getting 1-3 photos done based solely on the fact that he's keeping his stuff and the dealer isn't. Right or wrong, it all comes down to people acting like people, rather than animals, and with the amount of people now at hotels, games, etc., that ain't happening.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Maybe she's pissed she had to move from SD to Cincy.
Yup, I think thats it. Not many beaches in Cincy.

Exactly, this is a beach bod, not an Ohio figure ;)

Mat-Latos-wife-e1324420239101.jpg

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
TBTwinsFan said:
That's the short version

HOLY CRAP!!! :lol:

I don't collect autographs, but... if I got paid millions to play a game for a living, I would imagine I would appreciate the fans (that pay my salary) enough to spare a moment here and there for an autograph. I mean, there is a very easy solution for poor old Mat, he could simply get a different job. Nobody forced him to become a professional athlete. Maybe nobody told him that fans bug professional athletes for their autographs? No worries, it's not too late; he can go get a job being a cook or a waiter and nobody would bug him for his autograph ever again.

It's just silly for me to read these things. Poor Dallas, life is so tough. "People don’t understand that players do not get enough time to spend with their families. It’s a sacrifice for the player and his family." Yes, such a sacrifice. 8 months of playing a game for a living, traveling from city to city (and completely able to take their family with them)... all of this for a few million dollars, and they get 4 months of the year to do nothing but spend 100% of their time with their family. Have you people never heard of the US Military? They get to spend 12 months away from their family with 0 visits. They take Mat Latos' salary (yeah, I know, he only makes half a million a year) and split it between 12 people. And THEN, when they come back and want to spend time with their families... I can't imagine one of them complaining about spending 36 seconds to sign something for a kid. It does happen you know, sometimes kids see soldiers and ask for autographs. All of that work and no millions.

And really Dallas, l wouldn't worry too much about the ebayers fighting for your husband's autograph. You do know it's a $2 item on ebay, right?

It's funny because really, I feel that grown people shouldn't bother athletes for their autograph. If you want one, go buy it on eBay. I had never read anything like this though. It's a very condescending essay from the viewpoint of the socially elite athlete's wife about the trials and tribulations she endures having to mingle with the commoners- some of them even have the audacity to speak to her! The smelly villains.

My comment has to be approved by somebody though, so... I doubt it'll ever show up on that site. Ah well...

Members online

Latest posts