Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this week the last "stand" for the Phillies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Yeah, I can't blame the M's for not wanting to do that. Even though Byrd has a great work ethic and takes care of himself he's getting up there in age. And being 9 games behind the 2 best teams in baseball in late July doesn't help.

You are right about Hamels. He could easily go home to the West coast and make a big difference for 1 of 4 teams. But he loves playing in Philly and I think he wants to stay there. Same with Cliff Lee. Lee finally make his long awaited return today against the Giants. Go Phillies!

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Glad to see Sandberg finally get it right and put Sizemore in LF and Revere in CF, with Revere leading off. But he should have started Howard tonight with his track record against Hudson. Hamels pitched great tonight, as good as he has ever pitched. Even had a mid 90's fastball tonight. Go Phillies!

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Yeah, it really is. Just some little stuff so far. Should be some big moves in the last 2-3 days of this month. Phillies looked good tonight against the Dbacks in their 9-5 win. I hope Cliff Lee pitch's well today.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
No moves by the Phillies yesterday. They did try to move Byrd but nobody wanted to take on his contract at his age. Phillies looked good last night as they crushed the Nats 10-4. The much maligned and bashed Phillies outfield has really improved: Ben Revere hitting .306, 30 stolen bases, and 4 straight multi hit games; Grady Sizemore hitting .328; Marlon Byrd hitting .271 with 62 RBI's. 17 hits last night for Phillies with Howard and Brown out of the lineup. Really sad that Lee hurt his arm again yesterday. Go Phillies!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
You never really know what happened, but the "experts" are saying the Phils were asking WAY too much for their veterans. Huh? Sell, sell, sell! Ugh.

I have no problem with their OF, and I'm actually one of the few Revere fans in town, but man, you gotta clear payroll and open up spots for the prospects to play. 3rd highest payroll and last place in a very mediocore Division? Doulbe Ugh.

And paying your Closer that much is a Luxury non-Playoff teams cannot afford. Triple Ugh.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Yeah, Byrd sounded like he was glad to still be in Philly and then went out and hit the game winning homer as they beat the Nats again 2-1. Revere is one of my favorites too. He's a funny kid and we stole him from the Twins. Sizemore now at .344

I think the Phillies will make some moves this month before the waiver deadline. I'm guessing Byrd and Papelbon will be gone.

Padres outhit the Braves 20-4 Friday, lol.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I think the Phillies will make some moves this month before the waiver deadline. I'm guessing Byrd and Papelbon will be gone.

Padres outhit the Braves 20-4 Friday, lol.

Yeah, I was listening to that game on my ride home and thought I got sent back to 1984! That's a good week for the current Padres...

And I think that both Byrd and Papelbon will be here 'cuz a team would block a deal by putting in a Waiver claim if they're close to the potential team.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I can see a team claiming Byrd, but would a team claim Papelbon and his contract?

Also, how does a no trade clause play into waiver claims? If a team claimed Papelbon and the Phillies let him go without compensation, would Papelbon have a say with his no trade clause or no say because it isn't a trade?

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Good questions that I don't know the answers to. I'm sure someone here does though.

Phillies looked rough Sat. against the Nats. I thought A.J. was going to clobber that umpire. Phillies can take the series with a win today. Great pitching matchup with Hamels and Strasberg.

Padres beat Braves again! That's what the Braves get for using a leadoff man that's hitting .213. That's worse than Ryan Howard, but not by much.:D

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Since I was taking of my Mom, and she watches everygame all-game-long, I actually watched most of that slopfest. Ugh.

And they sent Aumont down right after the game. Current ERA: 19.06. :eek:

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
That's really cool about your Mom. Sounds like she is a hard core Phillies fan.

About time the Phillies sent Aumont back down to the minors. Hope the kid they brought up, Hector Neris, does well. Phillies haven't scored in 21 straight innings. Much needed day off today, and playing the Astros tomorrow should help. :mrgreen:

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
.... Phillies now have 2 runs in the last 36 innings as the Phils put away the Astro's 2-1 in 15 innings. Howard got the game winning hit and Neris did well in his debut and got the win. Braves have lost 7 in a row!:eek: Go Phillies!

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Phillies finally break out of their hitting slump and clobber the Astros 10-3. Ben Revere had another 4 hit game and Chase Utley hit a 3 run homer. Utley becomes the 3rd MLB second baseman to have double digit home runs 11 consecutive years. Cliff Lee out for the year, but Phillies go for the sweep today.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
And the Astros have fallen. Phillies sweep Astros as Ryan (.220) Howard hit game winning grand slam, his 13th of his career. Ben Revere had 2 more hits and now has 20 hits in his last 10 games. His .311 avg. is now 5th in NL. Papelbon tied Tug McGraw for 5th place in saves in franchise history. Hamels might be going to the Cubs, Hernandez went to the Dodgers, and Lee is out for the year, but the Phillies are the least games out of 1st of all last place teams. Glass half full. Go Phillies!:D

Members online

Latest posts