Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A pair of /25 Garvey cards with another in route. G 25 2.jpgG 25.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpgs-l1600.jpg
A couple obscure Dodger players. Silverio never made the big club for any games, but he had a Dodger card. Brennan played 12 games for the Dodgers.

Always enjoy getting this type of thing too. This one appears to be 1970, based on the schedule that came with it. it could have been from a separate mailing, but it does look around that eras. I have a few with the same images on it, but they also could have been used across several seasons if the prices and items didn't change. s-l1600-3.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think this is the last unique subset from this issue. Lots of various numbered parallels, but I am done chasing all of them, especially with the logoless Panini/Leaf stuff. This also features Bagwell and is /4. 3-4.png

/25. Don't see the "older" modern stuff much these days. Most of it probably locked in collections or fading in stubborn shop display cases.s-l1600.jpg

I used to really enjoy these special serial numbered cards. This one is 60/xx. Almost, but not quite as good as 6/xx. Now I hardly even bother. I used to ask every seller of a serial numbered Garvey card what it was, if I couldn't read it or see it. Now, not so much. This one was visible. 60.jpg

Verdugo /50. Gold borders are pretty sharp looking. s-l1600-1.jpg

I have to laugh as I post this. I remember wanting this card so bad when I first discovered them. I just missed being able to buy one at a decent price and Puig caught on fire. These were selling for $100+ and the numbered parallels were approaching $1K in some cases and even exceeding it. If you buy the latest and greatest and still have not learned your lesson, I'm sorry to hear that. I paid $10 for this one. Probably still too much now, given the Leaf brand and the career Puig ended up having, but I still love the card.s-l1600-3.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Garvey /25 (been winning a few of these /25 lately). This was fun to remove from the toploader. The seller crammed it into a toploader that was way too small. I was worried about scratching it if i tried to cut the toploader, so I worked on it until I could free it naturally by getting a small portion to stick from the top and then gripped it and pulled it out the rest of the way. It took several minutes to free the card. WHY do this?? Some people...Garv 25.jpg

This one /99. Garv 99.jpg

Newk. Newk.jpg

Sheffield /2 & /4. These are decent, despite the lack of logos. Some of the one touch/sealed cards by Leaf are looking decent as well. I don't say this often about newer Leaf stuff. Shef 2.jpgShef 4.jpg

Drew /29. Drew.jpg

Yeager Coke PC. Yeager.jpg

Stu Nahan, he did Dodger pregame shows and was in a few movies, like the Rocky series and Fast Times. One of my "stretch the envelope" Dodger autos. Nahan.jpg

Furillo Dormand PC. furillo.jpg

I have not sized it up, but believe it to be trimmed somewhat. Normally I avoid cards with serious flaws, but make a rare exception for these when I do buy them. You can't find 52T High Numbers cheap unless they have issues and I am not willing to pay several $100s for most of the "common" players in better shape. Herman is a HOFer, but this is a post career coach card. herman.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
4th post with a Garvey /25 in a row!

1/1. Garv1-1.jpg

/3. Notice everyone gets a nice colorful patch piece EXCEPT Garvey! Garv3.jpg

/25. Garv25.jpg

/99 Garv99.jpg

Padres /75. JP75.jpg

Zach McKinstry, cheap where his prices belong. Still seeking the gold and red 86 Topps design auto when the owners who overpaid are ready to get something out of their cards and drop the ridiculous holdout game for 2020 money! haha!! ZM.jpg

I am once again a little mad at myself for not taking the time to look closer. This Loretta is /25. I knew he had several low numbered Sweet Spot cards as a Dodger and when the seller listed this one as "Dodgers", I assumed it was a Dodger version and failed to look closely. It is NOT. It was cheap enough to not care a whole lot, but I I might not have chased it at all had it said "Red Sox" as it should have. I can't have and don't want every single card of players on other teams who played with the Dodgers, but this one is OK I suppose. It could have been worse had my snipe bid been upped significantly more ML25.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think this may be my 3rd Leaf 1/1 from this set, and I have lost more than I won. Not sure how many different, but this one may be my last. s-l1600-11.jpg

This one is /99. s-l1600.png

I like this one because Reyes is on the Dodgers now, but has not yet played a game. It's /20. He was an AS in 2021 for the cards, then didn't play last year. He is currently on the 60 Day DL and like some similar players before him, may never get off that list and into a game. I hope he dies though. De Leon only played 4 games for LA in 2016, but he was 2-0! He is in the Twins organization now, playing in the minors. s-l1600-14.jpg

Randolph purple. s-l1600.jpg

This lot gets featured here due to Madlock. Guess I could count Garman too. s-l1600-5.jpgs-l1600-6.jpgs-l1600-7.jpg

Going to sneak this in too, as there is a Dodger in the lot. I don't have a lot of the 60 Leaf cards. They are basic, but somewhat appealing at the same time. s-l1600-9.jpgs-l1600-10.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just keep winning these when the sellers lists a new batch. Claims their father did shows in LA and this was left over stock discovered after his death. Quite possible. The posters were somewhat hard to find back in the day, but this guy has opened up the market considerably. s-l1600-1.jpg

Kendrick Archives /71. This is my 2nd or 3rd, possibly 4th copy now. Love these. Kendrick 71.jpg

New addition to my Dodger autograph collection is new Dodger Luke Williams. No Dodger cards yet, so this one will do. Luke.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Ruiz Verdugo 4-23.jpg. This one is a nice dual /25 of 2 former Dodgers, Ruiz and Verdugo.

s-l1600.jpgI was not really trying hard to win this, but I don't mind. Kind of neat silver auto on the black background. Won it for around $4.

s-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpg. Felt a tiny bit bad for seller. Got Podres for $0.99 and John for $2.25. Shipping cost more than the 2 cards combined!

Scratching one off the new Dodger wantlist with Austin Wynns, a catcher who is hitting .182 through 5 games with the Dodgers so far! Whoo hoo! Still need the same old 4 Dodgers to finish off the team set. Wynns 4-25.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It may be hard to top this mail day. I'll end with my bang.

Starting out, my first ever rip card. It was relatively cheap, I thought, so did a BIN. I tried to win one a while back, in hopes of ripping it just to say I did. I will not be ripping this one though. Trea Turner /50.

s-l1600-5.jpg

Sheffield /4. Leaf overdid this, as they seem to do with everything. I went back in completed ebay auctions and found over 20 different Garvey 1/1 patterns from this set. Ridic! 4.png

Haren was a 1 year Dodger near the end of his career. Love this set. /100. Haren 4-21.jpg

4 interesting Garvey T Shirts. s-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600-3.jpg

You'll have to read my blog entry for the full impact of this last item. https://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com/2015/02/a-game-that-was-never-sold-steve.html

Steve Garvey's Hit & Run game...in the flesh!

I wasn't sure these existed outside of the photos I have (and can be seen if you view the blog entry). I assumed the games were done as prototypes, as no trace of an actual game had ever been seen by me and before I won the Guy game and package, I had no idea the Garvey game was even a concept. This one was stamped from the collection of Sid Sackson. I figured anyone stamping items probably had some significance and it turns out this guy was a game creator and prolific board game collector. Odds are, these games were only sent out to game execs and guys like this in an attempt to promote or produce the game for the masses. Only wild guesses on my part, but it could be possible the games were made in a small quantity, used in the photo shoot and sent to influential people in the game community at the time. I am beside myself for being able to land this piece that literally feels like it was a missing puzzle piece from my blog story.
IMG_0342.jpgIMG_0343.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A couple out of uniform Dodgers, Howard and Cruz. s-l1600-3.pngs-l1600-1.jpg

More Dodger photos. Dodger Photos.png

Vin/Doggett PC. I don't know if Vin has anything earlier, but this may possibly be "rookie" item. Vin1.pngVin2.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Haines PC. The kind of guy people would complain doesn't belong in the HOF, if they even realized/remembered he was even in. 210 career wins (3X 20+ win sea), never a year where he struck out more than 100, but he pitched 209 complete games. Pretty mediocre compared to now. Makes Tommy John look like a HOFer for sure. He coached for the Dodgers 1 year, (1938), so I had to have this when I saw it. s-l1600-3.jpg

Garvey Leaf /12. May be a dupe, not sure. 12.jpg

Pepiot /50. 50.jpg

Tommy Davis. s-l1600-7.jpg

Peter O'Malley on his fathers Yellow HOF plaque PC. s-l1600-4.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I did a BIN on this. It was for more than I really wanted to pay, but was worried I'd lose out on bid copies. Turns out that my BIN has been the best price so far for one, but we'll see if that holds. Really less a fan of cross sport cards, simply because where do you file it? For me, its obvious that it goes with the Garvey collection, but Johnson is the better player for his sport on the card, so it kind of belongs in with the other basketball cards.

Garvey/Magic /20. Garvey Johnson 20.jpg

This Topps Now card is a dupe, but cheap so I grabbed a dupe. Garvey TBC.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Leaf /12. Features Garvey in one of his 6 200 hit seasons.12.jpg

A couple mostly complete (no top or bottom) cereal boxes fearing Garv. Chex 1.jpgChex 2.jpgCC 1.jpgCookie Crisp CC 2.jpg

Ruiz. Ruiz.jpg. Nastrini /11. Until I get a Dodger card, this one will fill the hole. He may never make the roster, but he has a DodgerBowman card, so he is part of the collection. Nastrini 11.jpg

This completes the basic/parallel set, minus the 1/1 Gold, which I have not seen. Silver/99. Dusty autos are no longer a bargain they once were. Hopefully he sealed his HOF bid with the WS win. Solid playing career and a pretty decent manager career following. s-l1600.jpg

Members online

Latest posts