Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

No threads about CC's 20th win?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Congrats CC...on your way to a CY Young and possibly 21-22 wins

It's obviously VERY early, but will CC be the next 300 game winner?

156 wins right now at age 30, playing for the Yankees.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
No thread because he's not a Phillie. They made a Halladay thread to celebrate CC's 20th win.

Can I show off some favorites? Guess I better...

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
phillyfan0417 said:
jdacunha said:

No.

He certainly has a better chance than most SPs right now.

He has 156 wins, lets say he wins 1 more start this year. So 157 wins. He turned 30 in July.

Age/wins

30-31/19
31-32/18
32-33/18
33-34/17
34-35/17
35-36/17
36-37/16
37-38/15
38-39/13

That would give him 307 wins... IF he stays healthy and doesn't have a terrible injury like TJ survery or something...i dont see how he doesn't do it.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
jdacunha said:

If the Cy Young was based only on wins, yes.

Jul 30, 2009
That SHOULD wrap up the CY but no doubt some think a 12 game winner (one game over 500)on one of the worst teams in the majors should get it.

My votes are: CC wins, Price second, Lester third and Buchholz fourth followed by Felix.
Imagine, me defending not one but TWO R Sox?

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
why would he want to pitch that long to get to 300?
hes already set finacially for his entire families life, already a worlds champion.
i cant see why he would want to work all that long

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
andyduke86 said:
No thread b/c pitcher wins don't really mean anything in reality.

I know right? When will these baseball players finally understand what reality is? I mean, the managers are the worst...

"Really happy for him," Girardi said after the win. "He's been our ace all year -- really since he's gotten here. To get to 20 wins is quite an accomplishment. ... I think it's meaningful to any pitcher."

And they put this guy in charge of a baseball team. ::facepalm::

The Orioles manager is just as bad...

"That's why he's won the number of games that he has, because even though you make him work, he doesn't give in," Baltimore manager Buck Showalter said. "Things don't happen by accident. He has success because he works his way through that. He's an athletic man."

This clown Showalter somehow seems to think that CC is responsible for winning all of those games. Where do they find these people?

[/sarcasm]

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Yea man all the runs the Yankees offense scored behind him and all the innings his bullpen pitched while he was in the shower...very meaningful. He earned that. Some folks just don't get it.

How can you win a game if you never score a run?

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
RL24 said:
CCbuttons.jpg
CCbuttonsbacks.jpg

I won't speak on who should or shouldn't win the Cy, just hoping CC snags it.

nice cards from 2004 ltd. no wonder i could never find one. i do have the auto prime patch 1/1 from that set though.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
RL24 said:
05AbsMemPatchAutoMasterSetF.jpg

CCbuttons.jpg
CCbuttonsbacks.jpg

SPChiro.jpg

I won't speak on who should or shouldn't win the Cy, just hoping CC snags it.

I've been collecting for over 20 years, and your collection of 6 out of 6 buttons is one of the COOLEST things I have ever seen in this hobby, and I'm not even a big fan of Carsten Charles. How the heck did you manage to do that??? Simply awesome.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
andyduke86 said:
Yea man all the runs the Yankees offense scored behind him and all the innings his bullpen pitched while he was in the shower...very meaningful. He earned that. Some folks just don't get it.

How can you win a game if you never score a run?

So you're saying that starting pitching doesn't matter? Because I heard that it wins championships. Several times I've heard that.

Or you're saying that CC isn't a good batter? You can check the best hitting pitcher thread and see that he's one of the best. Of course, it is his fault that he chose to play in the AL, so maybe he doesn't deserve any W's since he never scores any runs.

W-L are stats. They are what they are.

When a guy hits a high fly ball, and the wind miraculously takes the ball out of the park, the guy doesn't really deserve credit for the HR. The wind does. But since they don't award the wind any stats, they give it to the player. Like you say so sarcastically, "He earned that."

When a guy returns a kickoff for a TD, he can't do it alone. It takes a lot of well placed and timed blocks. Although he couldn't do it alone, and it's a team effort, the guy who actually ran the ball back gets credit for the TD. The guy who made the most important block does not get credit for the TD, even though it couldn't have happened without him.

Them's the rules. The guy who carries the ball into the end zone gets the TD. The pitcher who is pitching when his team takes the lead gets the W.

It's all pretty cut and dry, but again to quote you, "Some folks just don't get it."

If Wins are so unimportant, I'd like to know why earning 300 of them is such a big deal. They'll put you in the Hall of Fame for that.

rbrownaz

Jun 2, 2009
They'll put you in the Hall for 300 wins, but you win 287 or 289, and you miss the cut. 300 is a magic number that, by the time CC retires, no longer will be.

I think Girardi was right when he said 20 is special for any pitcher, but only because 20 is rare, and really, a Yankee shouldn't be too surprised if he finds himself at 20 wins yet ends the awards season without a Cy. A pitcher with 20 wins and a 4.50 ERA would be proud to reach the 20 mark, but the guy with a 2.40 ERA and 15 wins is going to know he pitched better.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
jdacunha said:
phillyfan0417 said:
jdacunha said:

No.

He certainly has a better chance than most SPs right now.

He has 156 wins, lets say he wins 1 more start this year. So 157 wins. He turned 30 in July.

Age/wins

30-31/19
31-32/18
32-33/18
33-34/17
34-35/17
35-36/17
36-37/16
37-38/15
38-39/13

That would give him 307 wins... IF he stays healthy and doesn't have a terrible injury like TJ survery or something...i dont see how he doesn't do it.

I find it humorous you think CC will average 17 wins for the next eight years, until he is 38.

I see him beginning to decline around 34 years old, as the weight has to begin to take it's toll at some point.

Though, I could see him retiring in 5 years, after the end of his Yankee contract, with around 220 or so wins under his belt (+/- 5).

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I do not especially like either player, but I'd much rather have Felix Hernandez than CC Sabathia on my team.

Can anyone honestly say the opposite this year? Without bias?

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
gmarutiak said:
I've been collecting for over 20 years, and your collection of 6 out of 6 buttons is one of the COOLEST things I have ever seen in this hobby, and I'm not even a big fan of Carsten Charles. How the heck did you manage to do that??? Simply awesome.

Well thank you very much for that, it was quite the compliment! It is definitely one of the favorite parts of my collection. I got all 6 of them on eBay, which in itself is pretty amazing. But you know, there was no great hunt or anything, I just had to be patient and wait for the 5th and 6th to show up...

mburgin said:
nice cards from 2004 ltd. no wonder i could never find one. i do have the auto prime patch 1/1 from that set though.

Nice! I wanted to win all of those nice cards, but I couldn't bring myself to pay like $100 for 1 card. Much better to buy 33 $1 and pay $66 in shipping. ::facepalm::

Do you have a scan? You should show it off! It would probably look so nice with this one...

LeafLimited.jpg

Latest posts