Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Panini...oh what could have been

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
hawkfandan said:
JoshHamilton said:
National Treasures is ugly

Everything Panini puts out besides Contenders and Certified is ugly

I'm no Panini fan, but its unfair to generalize all of their products as ugly.

This card is pretty damn sweet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-National-Treas ... 2561d17488

If there is a sorority of girls that 48/50 are fatty skanks and two hot girls, I'd say they are all fat skanks. I like to generalize though. Gernerally.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
frzg said:
JoshHamilton said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blake-Griffin-N...Basketball&hash=item3cb51e9710#ht_3341wt_1139

I love National Treasures...

Thats the rookie auto set, how is that ugly!

That isn't the same design the Suh

I guess I should give them a pass on the jumbo patches. Not their fault they can't put a larger photo on it - no manufacturer can with jumbos

Every other NT card from 2008-2010 looks like garbage

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
hawkfandan said:
JoshHamilton said:

If most of their products are ugly, yeah...I think it's fair to make a generalization that Panini cards are ugly

hawkfandan

Aug 7, 2008
4600 North Chicago, IL
justinmandawg said:
hawkfandan said:
JoshHamilton said:

If there is a sorority of girls that 48/50 are fatty skanks and two hot girls, I'd say they are all fat skanks. I like to generalize though. Gernerally.

Well played.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Upper Deck's owner hatched a plan to sell counterfeit YuGiOh cards valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars. I am worried that much of my collection is fake. Why would you buy packs from known counterfeiters? As for Panini, competition is good but they release plenty of mediocre product.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
blanning71 said:
Panini-russ did a great job in years past with baseball products. They seemed to put out some really nice lines for collectors. I miss their offerings. I cry every night before I go to sleep and pray to the heavens that someway, somehow, they will be allowed back in.

History shows people will buy whatever is put out by any manufacturer.

At least part of the reason why there are threads like this is because people are either going through withdrawal from reduced number of products from years ago or are sellers not used to not hyping another new product every week to buyers.

The hobby doesn't need a new product every week as others have said.

But with that said, although DLP put out some nice designs...and some clunkers...if there's only one manufacturer - and having only one manufacturer makes sense from a licensing standpoint as there's only a single 'official' MLB sponsor of beer, pizza, etc, as its easier for MLB to deal with and for fans to remember - everyone would agree to thank god its Topps and not DLP or UD.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
uniquebaseballcards said:
blanning71 said:
Panini-russ did a great job in years past with baseball products. They seemed to put out some really nice lines for collectors. I miss their offerings. I cry every night before I go to sleep and pray to the heavens that someway, somehow, they will be allowed back in.

At least part of the reason why there are threads like this is because people are either going through withdrawal from reduced number of products from years ago or are sellers not used to not hyping another new product every week to buyers.

But with that said, although DLP put out some nice designs...and some clunkers...if there's only one manufacturer - and having only one manufacturer makes sense from a licensing standpoint as there's only a single 'official' MLB sponsor of beer, pizza, etc, as its easier for MLB to deal with and for fans to remember - everyone would agree to thank god its Topps and not DLP or UD.

I don't deal with withdrawals so its not that. And I don't sell so its not that either. I just would like some diversity. The only real products that I liked from Topps were Bowman Platinum(oncard autos and shinyness with the refractors) and of course the Bowman Chrome/Draft/ lines. I'm a sucker for autographs too. I just felt like Donruss did a good job mixing in old and new alike and thats what I like. Yes, there were too many products released so why not just limit the amount of products each mfg can produce to the point where they actually have to THINK about what they are putting out rather than just simply ramping up the presses and spouting out crap?

I wasn't impressed with Chicle, T206, Tribute, and a few others that hit the shelves this past year. I would like to see some choice when/if I buy. But thats just my two cents.

RandomH

brouthercard said:
Topps has become the Master of the Gimmick.

They have no appreciation for the aesthetics of sports cards.

Their high end has always been a frankenstein mess.

They churn cards out with lack of eye appeal.

They have no motivation to ever try to get better.

They were blown away in the late 90's and early 2000's when Fleer/Donruss/Upper Deck all ran away with cool and fun insert sets that are still highly sought after today, while the late 90's and early 2000's Topps cards remain dead in junk piles.

They are living on their Bowman cash cow, ignoring the needs of the rest of their customers.

Topps = Boring.
thanked.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
James52411 said:
Upper Deck's owner hatched a plan to sell counterfeit YuGiOh cards valued at hundreds of thousands of dollars. I am worried that much of my collection is fake. Why would you buy packs from known counterfeiters? As for Panini, competition is good but they release plenty of mediocre product.
he did something stupid and got caught. no need to be paranoid about the rest of your cards.
they also were not counterfeit. UD just no longer had the rights from Konami to produce them. they were "actual" cards.

As for the rest who bag UD, there's nothing that's going to change your minds, but their designs were as far as you can get from "bland" when compared to the piles of **** topps has dumped on the hobby the last two years.

by the way, that shady UD company still honors expired redemptions on a regular basis that are 2 years or
more old, and will send you a replacement at worst if they don't have the actual card.

topps wouldn't redeem something that is two weeks expired.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
chashawk said:
he did something stupid and got caught. no need to be paranoid about the rest of your cards.
they also were not counterfeit. UD just no longer had the rights from Konami to produce them. they were "actual" cards.

They produced YuGiOh cards without a license just like they produced MLB cards without a license last year. Not exactly trustworthy behavior, they didn't show a lot of honor...and a lot of the card business is based on trust and honor. People should now be much more inclined to ask questions of them like: "Is this auto or patch real?" or "Are they going to print more after they said they wouldn't?"

Why buy stuff from a company who seemingly does whatever they want with contractual relations?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
chashawk said:

They produced YuGiOh cards without a license just like they produced MLB cards without a license last year. Not exactly trustworthy behavior, they didn't show a lot of honor...and a lot of the card business is based on trust and honor. People should now be much more inclined to ask questions of them like: "Is this auto or patch real?" or "Are they going to print more after they said they wouldn't?"

Why buy stuff from a company who seemingly does whatever they want without regard to its customers?
Finally, we agree on something.
I ask myself why people continue to buy topps products too.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
chashawk said:

Didn't you say you bought Topps this year, some nice Dawson patch auto? Why did you buy that?

There's a difference between UD and Topps here in that Topps does what they say they're going to do with licensing.

Topps does what they say they're going to do.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
blanning71 said:

Everyone would agree to thank God it's Topps and not DLP or UD, really?
Thanks for speaking for everyone of us.
NOT!
David
Edited to add.....I find your screen name ironic since nothing Topps does is unique. :lol:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
David T. said:
NOT!
David

Edited to add.....I find your screen name ironic since nothing Topps does is unique. :lol:

Yup. But not a very insightful response here.

What would a hobby without Topps be like?

Edited to add: I don't only have Topps in my collection ::facepalm::

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
David T. said:
NOT!
David

Yup. But not a very insightful response.

I've been insightful numerous times during the many Topps monopoly debates.
Choice is a good thing.
No one forces anyone to buy everything that at one was time produced.
As long as there were others (note, not other, but others) to choose from, I wouldn't miss Topps one bit.
Oh, and speaking about withdrawal and sellers hype......is that what you to refer to as insightful? Seriously? :lol:
David

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
chashawk said:
Didn't you say you bought Topps this year, some nice Dawson patch auto? Why did you buy that?

There's a difference between UD and Topps here in that Topps does what they say they're going to do with licensing.

Topps does what they say they're going to do.
nope. no Dawson patch or auto from topps in 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011. and I sold all my 2007's. every topps Dawson auto
since 2005 has been on one of their giant shiny silver stickers, and I have no interest whatsoever.
I only have a couple of cards of any kind from topps in the last several years.

The bolded makes me want to laugh until I puke.

do you read the threads from the last year or so? I cannot even recall all of the things topps has done
to screw over the collector since they obtained the exclusive license. A few I can remember:

Strasburg A&G mini not being Sp'd...ok
Strasburg Chrome auto not being SP'd...sure
Cat Osterman A&G autos not being made...CS from topps still thinks they weren't
Sig Hansen "relic" redemption actually being an auto
"curling" chrome cards
rapper redemptions galore because cards that topps said were packed out, were in fact, not.
futures game jerseys inserted in MLB licensed sets as game used MLB memorabilia.
all star game workout jerseys inserted as game used memorabilia
stadium seat pieces inserted as game used bats
Honus Wagner "game used" cool base jersey
No autos in Chrome hobby boxes
Retail autos in Chrome hobby boxes

I'm sure there are plenty more I can't think of right now.

But wait, I forgot - Topps does what they say they're going to do

I think what they haven't said is more important.

We have the exclusive license now to manufacture MLB logo'd baseball cards. We know you ******* geeks are going to buy them no matter what, so we are going to make the least effort we've ever made in the history of our company, and put out whatever piece of **** sets in whatever format we damn well please.

All of our high-end sets are going to have 95% plain jersey and bat swatches and 95% sticker autos because we know you dipshits won't notice the difference, and even if you do, you'll buy the **** anyway because you "need" it for your "PC", or whatever the hell you dorks call it.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
David T. said:
Yup. But not a very insightful response.

I've been insightful numerous times during the many Topps monopoly debates.
Choice is a good thing.
No one forces anyone to buy everything that at one was time produced.
As long as there were others (note, not other, but others) to choose from, I wouldn't miss Topps one bit.
Oh, and speaking about withdrawal and sellers hype......is that what you to refer to as insightful? Seriously? :lol:
David

If you've been as 'insightful' as you have in this thread already, then I can see why I missed it. If you don't think people haven't gone through withdrawal over the status quo ante then you must have taken a ten year hobby hiatus, otherwise you may have noticed things have changed ::facepalm::

You still didn't answer my question though. What would a hobby without Topps be like?

Members online

Latest posts