Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Panini...oh what could have been

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
UD the king of going back and firing up the presses. They got busted doing that. Who knows how many Griifey JR rookie cards they cranked out once those got hot. I miss old old UD kicked in the junk posts.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
matchpenalty said:
UD the king of going back and firing up the presses. They got busted doing that. Who knows how many Griifey JR rookie cards they cranked out once those got hot. I miss old old UD kicked in the junk posts.
that was 22 years ago.

they've done a billion times more good for the hobby since then

it's funny to see this **** now. when 2009 Ultimate Collection came out, that's all the entire board was talking about for a month or more.

Andrew couldn't get his hands on enough cases for all the group breaks people wanted to do.

Here's an idea. Go ask the guys on the Hockey board if they're happy UD is still around

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Topps does what they say they're going to do.

You mean like "One Bowman Chrome autographed card every box!"

?

I hope you abort any future children you might produce. I really do care about our nation's future

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
JoshHamilton said:

?

I hope you abort any future children you might produce. I really do care about our nation's future

I am against abortion. However, if I could find Doc Brown and some plutonium I'd be in a Delorean going back w/ a stack of hangers for some of the members on here.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
How any one trust UD game used cards is beyond me. Can't imagine all crap they stuck on cards from worthless fake jerseys. Also isn't UD on more than a few occasions put garbage cuts out. Like Ruth from Dr Wax battle famous you tube video of the pull of a lifetime and big quad cut where almost all were proven to be garbage. Yeah, bring them back.

I'n not a big fan of Panini but they have shown videos and up close photos of some gamers they used that were purchased from MeiGray, JO Sports and NFL auctions. So you know some of the stuff they cut up is legit. I will give them props for that.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
chashawk said:
chashawk said:
Finally, we agree on something.
I ask myself why people continue to buy topps products too.
Didn't you say you bought Topps this year, some nice Dawson patch auto? Why did you buy that?

There's a difference between UD and Topps here in that Topps does what they say they're going to do with licensing.

nope. no Dawson patch or auto from topps in 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011. and I sold all my 2007's. every topps Dawson auto since 2005 has been on one of their giant shiny silver stickers, and I have no interest whatsoever.
I only have a couple of cards of any kind from topps in the last several years.

The bolded makes me want to laugh until I puke.

do you read the threads from the last year or so? I cannot even recall all of the things topps has done
to screw over the collector since they obtained the exclusive license. A few I can remember:

Strasburg A&G mini not being Sp'd...ok
Strasburg Chrome auto not being SP'd...sure
Cat Osterman A&G autos not being made...CS from topps still thinks they weren't
Sig Hansen "relic" redemption actually being an auto
"curling" chrome cards
rapper redemptions galore because cards that topps said were packed out, were in fact, not.
futures game jerseys inserted in MLB licensed sets as game used MLB memorabilia.
all star game workout jerseys inserted as game used memorabilia
stadium seat pieces inserted as game used bats
Honus Wagner "game used" cool base jersey
No autos in Chrome hobby boxes
Retail autos in Chrome hobby boxes

I'm sure there are plenty more I can't think of right now.

But wait, I forgot - Topps does what they say they're going to do

I think what they haven't said is more important.

We have the exclusive license now to manufacture MLB logo'd baseball cards. We know you fracking geeks are going to buy them no matter what, so we are going to make the least effort we've ever made in the history of our company, and put out whatever piece of shat sets in whatever format we damn well please.

All of our high-end sets are going to have 95% plain jersey and bat swatches and 95% sticker autos because we know you dipshits won't notice the difference, and even if you do, you'll buy the shat anyway because you "need" it for your "PC", or whatever the hell you dorks call it.

BUT YOU DID BUY TOPPS. Now ask yourself why as per your post above.

Obviously you're not buying Topps...aside from the Topps you DID buy...because you don't trust them. I don't see where you said you don't trust Topps to do what they say they're going to do. I did see your usual complaining though.

The 'geeks' you refer to are obviously what I refer to as 'elite collectors' except you pretend you don't understand what I'm talking about when I say 'elite collectors'. Anything Topps or any other manufacturer does extra for 'geeks' is always gravy since 'geeks' are a small percentage of people who buy their product. Some peope think high end HOF product is going to last forever and come out every year for the next 100 years but they won't. Further products oriented towards 'geeks' aren't generally as educational in nature as products more oriented towards 'non-geeks' - and I'm guessing cards need an educational component in order to conform to licensing somehow.

I was looking for your using more F-bombs to try to drive home your point, glad to see there's none here...yet.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
JoshHamilton said:

?

What do you do if you find a collation error? Contact Topps. Think of this as a redemption.

"I hope you abort any future children you might produce. I really do care about our nation's future"
You need new material, you've used this and similar quips to death. I'm not worried about your reproducing one way or the other considering the "recreational activities" you've obviously engaged in...and still do? Where's the emoticon lighting up the pipe when you need one?

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
You gotta excuse JH.

The Texas hoops team is losing again as we speak and have gone from a #1 seed two weeks ago to a #3 or 4 seed in the Big Dance.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
chashawk said:
UD made some of the best looking cards of the last 10 years. Why wouldn't you want them back?

And please don't say redemptions, because topps is just as bad, if not worse.

I DARE you to watch a case break of 2010-2011 Limited Hockey and say that. I saw 11 redemptions pulled from a 5 box case of "premium" product. To make matters worse, I have a ton of redemptions sitting around that can't be redeemed because their site has crashed or something and has been for the past week.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Vagrant said:
chashawk said:
UD made some of the best looking cards of the last 10 years. Why wouldn't you want them back?

I DARE you to watch a case break of 2010-2011 Limited Hockey and say that. I saw 11 redemptions pulled from a 5 box case of "premium" product. To make matters worse, I have a ton of redemptions sitting around that can't be redeemed because their site has crashed or something and has been for the past week.

UPPER DECK is not the same as PANINI

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
chashawk said:
As for the rest who bag UD, there's nothing that's going to change your minds, but their designs were as far as you can get from "bland" when compared to the piles of shat topps has dumped on the hobby the last two years.

Well, since I think I'm the only one who referred to UD as bland, I'll assume you were talking about my post. I'm not "bagging" Upper Deck. I said they would be the last I would want back. That just means I prefer everyone else over them.

In regards to my thinking they are bland, I also said that it was based on my tastes. I think they put out a lot of tacky and bland cards. Big deal. That's my opinion and I collect what I like to look at. We apparently have different tastes in cards. It doesn't make either one of us right or wrong. I'm not going to sit here and compare Topps to Upper Deck because it's a very overplayed topic that never goes anywhere anyway and quite frankly, I don't care what everyone else thinks is better because they are not putting together my collection.

I think too many people spend way too much complaining about what they can't have.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Vagrant said:
chashawk said:
Ummm...that's Panini, not UD
thanks for playing though

unique - wrong again. never said I didn't trust topps. I said most of their products suck and don't appeal to me.
topps has made approximately 250 cards of Andre Dawson in the last 5 years. I own 6. 3 were gifts

th_2009Tributebase.jpg th_2009TributeBlack3-99.jpg th_2009TributeGold49-50.jpg th_2009TributeBlackPlate.jpg th_2009ToppsSterling102-250.jpg th_2010ToppsCYMTOOriginalBack1978.jpg

I own a multitude of topps cards, just not from the last few years.

As for the items I pointed out, that's not ME "complaining". Those are issues that have been
posted about on this board by people who have purchased topps products in the last year.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
chashawk said:
unique - wrong again. never said I didn't trust topps. I said most of their products suck and don't appeal to me.
topps has made approximately 250 cards of Andre Dawson in the last 5 years. I own 6. 3 were gifts

th_2009Tributebase.jpg th_2009TributeBlack3-99.jpg th_2009TributeGold49-50.jpg th_2009TributeBlackPlate.jpg th_2009ToppsSterling102-250.jpg th_2010ToppsCYMTOOriginalBack1978.jpg

As for the items I pointed out, that's not ME "complaining". Those are issues that have been
posted about on this board by people who have purchased topps products in the last year.

Its impossible to discuss anything here if you "forget" why you responded to an earlier post in our discussion. I spoke about the trust the hobby has with Topps and you responded by talking about trust with...something that didn't make sense.

For someone who owns so few recent Topps cards, its strange that you honor one of their recent brands in your sig. I think you own TONS of recent Topps cards...
chashawk.jpg

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
chashawk said:

Its impossible to discuss anything here if you "forget" why you responded to an earlier post in our discussion. I spoke about the trust the hobby has with Topps and you responded by talking about trust with...something that didn't make sense.

For someone who owns so few recent Topps cards, its strange that you honor one of their recent brands in your sig. I think you own TONS of recent Topps cards...
well, you just go right on thinking that. :lol: ::facepalm:: :lol: ::facepalm:: :lol:
do you know who shot JFK as well?

every card I own is in my bucket and easily viewed. the 3 cards in my sig are from a 2006 set that is aesthetically pleasing.
the 3 players pictured are the players I collect. they didn't have ACTUAL cards in the set. anything else you'd like explained?

I have said a million times that if topps created cards that appealed to me, I'd have no problem buying them.
you seem to have this impression of me that I am anti-topps. I just don't like the vast majority of their last few years of product.
I own plenty of topps cards, and would own plenty more if they had released ONE single on-card autograph of
Andre Dawson or Billy Williams in the last several years, or a jersey or bat card that didn't look like ****.

If 2011 topps had made one of the Platinum anniversary cards of Dawson, I'd own it.

But you just go right on putting words in my mouth and thinking what you want to.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
chashawk said:

chashawk.jpg

Wow, you are stupid

Those are custom cards, not produced by Topps.

They're fantasy A+G's, which Topps blatantly ripped off

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I'm not anti-Topps either. If they made a non-prospect product worth collecting, I would buy it.

They simply haven't.

I've suggested they get things on the right track with a Five Star baseball product. It just might get me to actually want to keep something they produce.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
brouthercard said:
I'm not anti-Topps either. If they made a non-prospect product worth collecting, I would buy it.

They simply haven't.

I've suggested they get things on the right track with a Five Star baseball product. It just might get me to actually want to keep something they produce.
he'll find something wrong with this, just give it a minute.

while you're waiting, you might as well go ahead and post all the secret topps cards you own

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
With no competition Topps has gotten lazy fat and bloated.
No competition has allowed topps to trim most of the value off their products.

It's 2011 but yet quality control still stinks.
There is no reason a card that coming out of the factory grades less than a 9.
Cards in pack that are less than MINT should be considered defective and replaced.
Off center supers, really?
Cards with a manufactured (fake) bat barrel piece of wood as a box hit?
Cards with a munufactured (fake) leather glove piece as a box hit?
Redemptions are simply lazy!
Topps Vault??? You mean cards that should be in packs are being back doored?
A pack of topps series 1 is half inserts, if you consider topps town, million card whatever to be inserts.
Missing case hits and/or box hits.

What is sad is that I limited my list of topps gripes to 10. I honestly feel that topps puts out the bare minimum quality. They know busting wax is an addiction so they water down the product. Topps uses techniques time tested and proven by drug dealers.

TOPPS SUCKS!!!!!!

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
A perfect example of how competition benefits the consumer is the auto industry.

American Car companies got lazy in the 70' and 80's and quality suffered. Slowly foreign car companies took more and more of the market share. The big 3 assumed the loyal American buyers would always be loyal and for years American cars turned to garbage. Finally after near bankruptcy American Manufacturers are putting out quality vehicles at prices that are comperable if not better than their foreign competition.

Imagine the quality of a Chevy if Ford, Dodge, Chysler went out of business and foreign cars were banned.

Members online

Latest posts