Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Recent slab pickups / grading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Thank you. I agree. The SGC slabs are so beautiful on white cards (vintage)... but I must admit I love them on the shiny color refractors of modern cards as well. :)

Anything lighter agree. Darker stuff that's black like the 2005 Verlander the slab does no justice.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Located the rest of my 2008 UD Heroes cards I hadn't scanned with updated pictures yet so I finished them
I also seem to have found a loose patch - Light Blue #24/25- for the set I haven't slabbed yet. Will need to be in a Blue Authentic slab since its damaged. I'm exhausted heading to sleep but same box has the rest of the Die Cuts from 2004 Flair I will scan in and update ( except the Platinum 1/1). I'll scan those tomorrow and update with some pics. Enjoy 😏

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Trying to move back in years since this box started with 2008 Upper Deck Heroes so I'll show the 2008 Upper Deck Premier contained. I seem to have a few more loitering around in another box and will need to locate when I bring other boxes back. Labeling the inventory by Box # now so I can quickly access when I hit storage. Easier retrieval for me.

First up is the Base Silver, Gold, and Platinum dual versions with Johan Santana

full

full

full

Next up is his Quad Remnants 4 examples meant to celebrate a career accomplishment- in his case his ALCY was chosen
Now why they chose his CY as the award- then wrote about his WINS but didn't use Wins as a cut out - who the daylights knows ?? I certainly never figured out how they think over there
Below is his Base Silver, Bronze, and Gold versions

full

full

full

Also re-scanned this Gold Jersey Number Auto but need to locate his base Silver version

full

Of the two Platinum versions below the one that required going nuclear on my snipe at the time was the Maddux/Johnson/Clemens/Glavine. Not so much for either Brave but for the Randy Johnson portion. His collectors tend to bid pretty high
The Palmer /Perry/Pedro one was half the price of the 2nd one. I haven't bothered looking for the base versions yet

full

full

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Awesome stuff as always Jeff

Thanks just sharing since I have to make insurance folks happy anyways.

Next up is one of the unique offerings intended on hooking new collectors with the newest rookies and vets combined.
The 2007 Upper Deck Exquisite Rookie Signatures Collection series was a 6 card boxed set guaranteeing 5 autos a box
It was also my first run in with a package that made me turn away and laugh. I took one look at my needs and decided to ebay it. Not worth the $300 per box dealers were charging unless your a high end guy with extra spare change.
I snagged a few right away and a few more in next 7-8 years. Not much since (haven't looked though in 5 years)
Everything is literally low numbered with most being numbered under 25. Tough series to even think of completing for player guys.

As usual baseballcardpedia has good info on the boxes baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2007_Exquisite_Collection_Rookie_Signatures

Not sure if Phil Hughes made his way over here from Beckett's message boards but a few Clemens/Hughes dual below
Both the base Silver ( # to 10) and Gold (# to 5) Reflections Dual Auto versions.

full

full

On this next one- I really tried to not get confused. The Signature Materials subset has an Auto with 4 pieces of Memorabilia .The SILVER version is Gold and has Silver Highlights. The GOLD version is Silver and has Gold highlights. Got the setup ?? I basically just looked at the serial numbering to figure out what was what.
Didn't hit me at the time too many cards were on eBay I was learning about to pay attention to this set.

full

full

The last one is a Dual with new star Huston Street. Both were Texas NCAA Collegiate champions nearly 20 years apart

full

And somewhere like usual is two floaters that should have been with these cards and of course are somewhere else
Last inventoried in 2017 so sure I'll find somewhere

full

full

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Next up is a few items from 2008 TOPPS MOMENTS & MILESTONES. This is during the height of the variation lunacy.
Rather than barrage folks with all the variation pics ( which I haven't even slabbed any regular cards from) will just show unique stuff. Below are some Printing plates from 4 of the 5 card number variations- missing a card # 76 plate.
But I do have one of his 1/1 slabbed for that #76 so I'll show that off.
I was busy moving cross country when these came out and purchased no boxes at that time.

Good info on the set can be found baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2008_Topps_Moments_%26_Milestones

full

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Trying to clear some space so going to do a bunch of thick items so I can close out 2 open boxes lying around
Trying to see my carpet and this inventory for insurance folks is not helping. These are from 2007 UPPER DECK PREMIER
They are all thick patch items so I can get a box closed. The next few post will all be thicker items
This isn't all I own in this series = just the thicker ones. Lots more thin ones to follow I'm sure I'll show those when I come across

As always a good write up on the series is here baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2007_Upper_Deck_Premier

Another $250-300 box I just avoided and went to eBay for my PC guys
When the checklist first came out I saw two lines of the same thing below - and said to myself " What the blankety blank are they thinking?"

2007 Upper Deck Premier Patches Dual #RC Roger Clemens/22
2007 Upper Deck Premier Patches Dual #RC Roger Clemens/22

Took me a whole bunch of eBay searching to figure out what the daylights UD was doing
I had to look at other players stuff and compare and took me a half or so to figure it out
It did NOT help matters that Clemens Gold versions were numbered 24 and the other 20
Or that his base silver versions were # 24 for his Uni or #22 for his position.

The UD Premier Premier Patch Dual series was intended to highlight a players Position and Uniform Number
In Clemens case the window cut outs are SP ( Starting Pitcher) and # 22 ( His Yankees pictured Uni #)

Below are the Gold and Platinum Uniform Number items and all three Base,Gold, and Platinum of his Position
Strangely I think I need the Base Uniform # but have the rest

full

full

full

full

full

The below are from the RARE PATCH series. These again highlight player positions and Career Accomplishments
All the dual Clemens have share similar career accomplishments and position. I have more Premier to follow in the thin boxes
I've shown these off in Kurt's thread below. A couple Gold versions and a Base

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
OK the next few scans are from a sub-series that is prone to confusion as to manufacturer intent and internet created misinformation ( or lack of info). Took me 5 years to accumulate enough patches of my own guy and observe others to make my own personal "belief" in what I should be looking for. If you own any- unslabbed- if you can try and verify the below I'd appreciate that knowledge being shared also.

In 2006 Upper Deck created a series of "manufactured patches" with various players for its 2006 SP Authentic By The Letter patch series. Check any checklist and the information will vary based on the checklist creator. Of all the particular creators- trusty baseballcardpedia comes closest to the what I determine is good info = baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2006_SP_Authentic#By_The_Letter
But even they had difficulty determining what UD was trying to do and their comment of "much maligned" was spot on for accuracy of hobby views on these BTL patches.

I saw, or least determined, that UD'S intent in 2006 BTL was to create a "manufactured" patch series designed to have collectors attempt to get completed variations of either a players Name or Nickname(s). They mixed in some veteran award winners with a bunch of hot rookies. The two players who helped me determine back then what what I "believed" they were attempting were Ken Griffey Jr and my guy Clemens. Based on the back numbering, and the names I saw, I immediately realized that UD "attempted" getting a bunch of players last names and their nicknames on some players out there for the set. What confused me and I'm sure others back then - Yankees players have no names on uniforms. Yet UD still went to the well to get them included in the set as I noticed since Jeter was in the set and out there being sold. I saw complete player sets done but very little nickname sets completed. A lot of "complaining" as some guys did not show pics of the backs back then so collector got confused easily and thought these were "game used". The backs though clearly stated "manufactured".

So I immediately realized I had to search for Clemens cards . Little did I know the journey would take a while = and is still in process = these patches are buried somewhere. In the 2006 BTL series I saw his Name manufactured patches (Clemens) and his Nickname manufactured patches (The Rocket) appear. I snatched up what I saw online when I was able to confirm- at least for Clemens- the above two variations were correct.

I had Beckett change its OPG when I showed off ownership of 6 of the patches that confirmed both Clemens variations existed. One was labeled RC which was his last name ( Clemens) stuff, the other labled RC2 which was his nickname stuff ( The Rocket). Each made it possible to assemble 15 complete sets of each. The non repeating letters were numbered to 15 and all repeating letters to 30. Was able to figure out the variations for Clemens based on what I owned plus what I knew several other collectors owned.

So far what I've been able to accumulate for 2006 is below. Found 4 of the 6 in this box so will scan- other 2 once located will get moved to this box. Because they are manufactured patches , and not actual game used, tempered most Clemens collectors enthusiasm. Been able to pay between $60-75 each for them. Some came even cheaper in auctions. No one seems to bid high on a "manufactured" patch

The one Name type I have available is below- the two below it in another box I have to scan (update last seen in 2017).
These are the Name variation ( Clemens) labeled RC

full

full

full

These three below are from his Nickname variation ( The Rocket) and are all labeled RC2
full

full

full

When the 2007 SP Authentic By the Letter Manufactured Patch series appeared I expected the usual two variations.
Except that's apparently not what got created in 2007 based on what I've been able to buy or see so far. Matter of fact seems to be the team name instead. I've yet to see additional patches ( more out there that's for certain) but I can confirm I've seen a Name plate version # to 2 redemption and the below team name variation. Have yet to see any labeled above 5 so the 2007 series seem to be more limited in the manufactured part. Works in progress all these years later

full

full

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Really love that 2007 UD Premiere set. Eddie Murray was in it and I have multiples of each card. Great patches!

Nice progress on the By The Letter Clemens runs. I'm sorta glad my players were never in those.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
I was able to locate a couple of missing slabs by bringing back 3 more boxes from storage. Course that creates new headaches. Located my 1987 Fleer Glossy # 32 and the two missing 2007 Exquisite #8 base cards. I have doc visits today but will scan and post more as insurance lady is hammering me daily

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Bunch of Nomar's back from re-slabbing after 6 months for my Nomar PSA registry
Already have the Honor roll in PSA 10 will deal with the Refractor in 9 for now
Have more Clemens I'll show in a bit scanning some re-slabs right now
full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
One of my numerous "side" projects been re-slabbing stuff and looking for poorly scanned good deals I think I can win low
Will send the Refractor for re-slab. The Topps Power Players came back with the Nomar in the last box from re-slabbing sent together.
Original seller photo on top- then mine below it on the BC Refractor

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Done with docs from yesterday and scanned some more slabs. Missing quite a bit hope the last 15 or so boxes will locate.
This is about half of what I have for the 2007 Upper Deck Ultimate series. One of my favorite UD series of all time is Ultimate. Right up there with the best thought out sets of the 2000-2010 Decade and a definite flagship UD brand
Great info as always at baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2007_Ultimate_Collection

I'll try and locate others. These were in the thick card box mixed in with other players. Musta happened when I moved there is all sorts of crap in this box. Including players not even from the Sox ( some side project stuff). I originally picked up the AP Patch # 01/25 and slabbed. Years later couldn't resist picking up his uniform # 22/25 numbered version which wound up a full grade higher which was nice

I know I've got at least 2 more autos slabbed and a bunch more base and jersey/patches pieces slabbed as well have to locate them
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
Done with docs from yesterday and scanned some more slabs. Missing quite a bit hope the last 15 or so boxes will locate.
This is about half of what I have for the 2007 Upper Deck Ultimate series. One of my favorite UD series of all time is Ultimate. Right up there with the best thought out sets of the 2000-2010 Decade and a definite flagship UD brand
Great info as always at baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2007_Ultimate_Collection

I'll try and locate others. These were in the thick card box mixed in with other players. Musta happened when I moved there is all sorts of crap in this box. Including players not even from the Sox ( some side project stuff). I originally picked up the AP Patch # 01/25 and slabbed. Years later couldn't resist picking up his uniform # 22/25 numbered version which wound up a full grade higher which was nice

I know I've got at least 2 more autos slabbed and a bunch more base and jersey/patches pieces slabbed as well have to locate them
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full
Great stuff!

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Great stuff!

It's been fun reconnecting with cards I haven't seen in a while since the went into the "Black Hole" of storage. I mean I see pics regular its just different handling them again.

This next series is another UD product from 2007 that I have assisted in getting cards added. I noticed on eBay that my Clemens Blue Die Cut was not listed on Beckett's OPG lists. I also checked other Blue Die cuts at the time and noticed a peculiar fact about them. Instead of just being a Blue variation the die cut card had Roger's uniform number embedded and raised on the card. So I purchased a few other players and lo and behold they also had been numbered to the players uniform number, and all of them had raised jersey numbers embedded. So with the baseball OPG guys assistance got the Blue Jersey Number variation listed.
It had NOT been on any of Upper Decks initial checklists. Felt good to assist once again getting a more complete checklist updated- always nice.

The following items are from the 2007 Upper Deck Spectrum series. Used to love busting these boxes even if I didn't pull a Clemens. As always good info can be found on baseballcardpedia
baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2007_Upper_Deck_Spectrum

Could always pull a jumbo quad piece or a nice auto. Speaking of Jumbos mine must be somewhere will find and re-scan
Might have 1 or 2 more can't remember what else I have of these that's missing. Think I still need a Red Season Retrospectrum or something

full

full

full

full

full

Missing where this Super Swatch below is . I'll update with a new pic when I find it

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
This will be it for today folks gotta run errands and then sleep before work :cautious:

Next to go down in this box is my 2007 Upper Deck Artifacts cards. Seem to be missing my 2007 UD Predictor & 2007 SportKings series will need to locate them. This series presents all sorts of well thought out items. Of all the cards I had to search for in the MLB Apparel series the Gold Edition Jsy version was hardest. Of course the fact it was Retail only could have had something to do with it. Same with the Divisional Artifacts Gold and Antiquity Artifacts Gold as well. If your players Gold versions haven't popped up- well, I suggest buying a bunch of retail boxes and seeing what pops up.Could take 100 retail boxes before your own player appears

A lot of people overlook cards for some reason that are hard to pull as we all know. Those retail pulls I purchased cheap should have sold twice as high as these hobby version numbered pieces but didn't because they were not numbered. A few were not even properly labeled ( maybe the sedate Gold Edition label did not stand out in scans ?? ) . Think all I am missing is 1 or 2 cards in this series. Once scanning is done will take a card inventory and see what I need to buy. Took me a little to discover why I blue slabbed the base Antiquity piece ( surface issue)

Good info as always on this series is here baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2007_Artifacts
I can tell you getting some of these in great shape was an absolute joy :)

Of course this series drove me nuts on a personal level. His stuff is embedded with National League Divisional Artifacts, his MLB Artifacts say Houston Astros, his Antiquity Artifacts and others all say Houston Astros-- yet they ALL show him in a Yankees uniform and the only card that shows him in in Astros uniform is his Autofacts auto. Now if someone can explain that one from Upper Deck- love to hear it . I can plainly see they didn't use Astros uniforms it was Yankees colors ( and despite the 3rd party supplier claim to UD it was game used - it most certainly is not authentic material- too thin. Trust me I've taken several apart - wrong material / stitching for authentic game used)

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Trying to plow thru more thick stuff so I can get 3 of these boxes back to storage tomorrow.
I may bounce around years wise folks I really have to start plowing thru this stuff as fast as possible to finish it would love to go in Year order but time isn't agreeing

If you ever want to feel like a guppy in a huge lake- this series coming up will do so. The 2006 Upper Deck Exquisite series was the 1st to make me realize " Gee I thought that nuclear snipe bid was high enough" to learn your nuclear snipe got crushed like popcorn on the floor of a movie theater. I cannot fathom how much this series has cost me and frankly don't want to total it up. Took a lot of sheer dumb luck, some friends with "real" money, and some high end people selling to get what I have owned for the last 10 years. Most of these were purchased within the first 2-4 years and I had almost all the base cards finished by 2010. Took a lot longer on patches. I have been able to add a whopping 3 cards to it the last 5 years - all in 2018- from the same female collector who sold me all the Patch 10 versions. I was able to find all but 3 that I believe I own ( should have 22 found 19 of them missing a few quad patches).

I saw a quad patch somewhere recently and thought for 5 minutes and it was sold before I could even think twice. Oh well losing no sleep over it. Some good info can be found as always on baseballcardpedia http://baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2006_Exquisite_Collection

The majority of the set was issued as "redemption's" in many 2006 Upper Deck products. Although frankly I've discovered many came out the back door otherwise. From observation "most" but not all the veterans have the Team, Award, and Career highlight variations, while rookies had others like nicknames and number variation themes. There are Triple,Quad patches and lord knows how many auto variations. Frankly I concentrated on just Clemens.

Clemens has the following 3 base variations that come in Silver ( # to 45) Gold ( # to 25) and Platinum ( # to 10)
The Patch Variations come in Silver ( # to 25) Gold ( # to 15) and Platinum ( # to 10) as well. I have never seen the # to 15 Gold Patch variation. I'm sure someone somewhere may have been fortunate to get some but I've never seen them .
All I have left on the base/patch series to complete is those 3 Gold # to 15 patches RC,RC2,RC3

RC = Team Name ( NYY)
RC2 = Award (MVP)
RC3 = Career Highlight ( 300)

I'll show these off in 4 batches-the base and patch variations I own- the Team Name ( NYY) , the Award ( MVP) and the Career Highlight ( 300 Wins). Last batch will be the multi-patch and auto variations I've been able to accumulate.

Shout-out to Griffey collectors "The Doc" and @Pinbreaker for the Griffey patches assists
Purchases thru Kevin years ago helped immensely in my Exquisite set collection
Also some shout-outs to quite a few Clemens guys- you know who you are :)

First group is attached = RC = Team Name ( NYY) the base and patches I have slabbed just missing the # to 15 patch

full

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Second group is attached = RC2 = Award (MVP) the base and patches I have slabbed just missing the # to 15 patch

full

full

full

full

full

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Third group is attached = RC3 = Career Highlight ( 300) the base and patches I have slabbed just missing the # to 15 patch . Of all those Exquisite this one is the one patch fakers target most often. The plainer the card or patch= more likely I'll purchase

full

full

full

full

full

Members online

No members online now.