Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson was not called out for steroids!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Re: Rickey Henderson called out for steroids!

A_Pharis said:
How about we wait until a name is released before we start declaring out prepubescent fantasies as truths?

because everyone did that with LaPorta or any other prospect or trade rumor that floats out there? It's a message board. Without the speculation and discussion on any topic, all we'd be doing is reading the news on stuff that had already happened.

I'm not saying Rickey is definately a PED user, but personally the speculation of him or anyone for that matter shouldn't be that big a deal in my opinion.

A_Pharis

WoundedDuck said:
A_Pharis said:
How about we wait until a name is released before we start declaring out prepubescent fantasies as truths?

because everyone did that with LaPorta or any other prospect or trade rumor that floats out there? It's a message board. Without the speculation and discussion on any topic, all we'd be doing is reading the news on stuff that had already happened.

I'm not saying Rickey is definately a PED user, but personally the speculation of him or anyone for that matter shouldn't be that big a deal in my opinion.

It's pretty wrong when the "speculation" is disproved in the story they are breaking.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008

A_Pharis said:
As a matter of fact, here's a quote from the story:

Canseco won't name who he's talking about, but he did say it's not his former Oakland teammate, Rickey Henderson, who was just inducted at Cooperstown.

"I have no knowledge of Rickey using steroids in any manner, shape or form," Canseco said in an interview with 950 ESPN radio in Philadelphia.

Theory = wrong.

From: http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2009/0 ... doper.html

interesting......I'd be interested to see who he is talking about then. Still, if someone didn't know Canseco had said that it wasn't Rickey who he was naming, I still have no problem with the speculation and discussion.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX

I too think we should be able to have open discussion about the possibilities of player X having used PEDs. While some maintain a "who cares?" or "noneya" mentality, it's a hot topic that can't seem to fall from the headlines...therefore, dicussion, of almost any kind, is justified.

As a player collector of a guy who gets thrown into the speculation with absolutely zero credible sources, I'm used to it and smile while giving my honest opinion, or I simply look the other way.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008

BunchOBull said:
I too think we should be able to have open discussion about the possibilities of player X having used PEDs. While some maintain a "who cares?" or "noneya" mentality, it's a hot topic that can't seem to fall from the headlines...therefore, dicussion, of almost any kind, is justified.

As a player collector of a guy who gets thrown into the speculation with absolutely zero credible sources, I'm used to it and smile while giving my honest opinion, or I simply look the other way.

Oh come on.....Frank Thomas was clearly a PED user :twisted: ......just kidding. It would break my heart if he was ever confirmed using steroids. He was one of my favorites growing up and one I hope and believe was clean his whole career. I don't think I'll ever point my finger at him, but one thing the last few years has made me think is that I'll never say ANY player from this era was 100% clean, even if I believe they were.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009

Rickey must have paid Canseco a substantial amount of money to change his tune! No way it is a coincidence Canseco came out with this the week Rickey was put in! He probably shook him down. Word is he tried to shake Magglio down when he came out with his second book.

A_Pharis

bodiaz said:
Rickey must have paid Canseco a substantial amount of money to change his tune! No way it is a coincidence Canseco came out with this the week Rickey was put in! He probably shook him down. Word is he tried to shake Magglio down when he came out with his second book.

And this is why most people don't pay attention to bodiaz.

Yes. I'm sure Canseco would named McGwire - a close teammate of his - but not Rickey.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009

A_Pharis said:
bodiaz said:

Yes. I'm sure Canseco would named McGwire - a close teammate of his - but not Rickey.

Try to refrain from personal attacks! Sorry if the truth hurts. Don't shoot the messanger. I will never understand why there is so much hate towards Canseco! Fans claim they only want the players to be honest, Canseco has been nothing but honest and people hate him! They hate him because the truth hurts, and your idols are not as pure as you want to believe!

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania

Somebody needs to beat the crap out of Canceso with a bat and leave a needle in his arse as a message. I really get tired of him ratting to get into the spolight again.

In the words of rapper Rick Ross (from his first hit "Hustlin") - Jose Canseco just snitchin cause he's finished.

A_Pharis

For the record - I've never been a fan of Rickey. I don't know why, but I just never really liked his cockiness. Regardless of ability (he was great), the guy had an ego the size of Oakland.

And it's not a personal attack to say people don't pay attention to you. It's the truth. Your information is about as reliable as Bob Fett's.

WaxHeaven

Nov 7, 2008
Florida

Card Magnet said:
Somebody needs to beat the crap out of Canceso with a bat and leave a needle in his arse as a message. I really get tired of him ratting to get into the spolight again.

In the words of rapper Rick Ross (from his first hit "Hustlin") - Jose Canseco just snitchin cause he's finished.

rickross2.jpg

A_Pharis

WaxHeaven said:
Card Magnet said:

rickross2.jpg

Hussa' hussa'... hu' hu' hussa'... everyday I'm hussalin.

Frow

bodiaz said:
A_Pharis said:
bodiaz said:

Try to refrain from personal attacks! Sorry if the truth hurts. Don't shoot the messanger. I will never understand why there is so much hate towards Canseco! Fans claim they only want the players to be honest, Canseco has been nothing but honest and people hate him! They hate him because the truth hurts, and your idols are not as pure as you want to believe!

Going with Pharis, you've just contradicted yourself. If he changed his tune then how has he been nothing but honest? He came out and stated that Henderson didn't take roids in the past and now within a week of the HoF voting he's claiming someone did and knows full well who is implicated. Unless he's talking about Reggie Jackson and by not naming names he's still being a ******.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.

When I heard about his comments on ESPN the first person that came to mind was Cal Ripken... not Rickey.

how do you play that many games consecutive? how do you have spotty power years later in your career while playing all those games? Cal was never jacked up like the others but not all of the players using were going for size.. Im sure it would break everyone's heart if my assumption of who Canseco is referring proved true.

I will give Rickey credit here.. he may have been muscular but he also worked out hard in the offseason to maintain his body for the abuse he gave it during the season. I really don't think he's the person Canseco was referring to especially since he said there was someone ALREADY in the hall that was a user.

A_Pharis

1st4040 said:
When I heard about his comments on ESPN the first person that came to mind was Cal Ripken... not Rickey.

how do you play that many games consecutive? how do you have spotty power years later in your career while playing all those games? Cal was never jacked up like the others but not all of the players using were going for size.. Im sure it would break everyone's heart if my assumption of who Canseco is referring proved true.

I will give Rickey credit here.. he may have been muscular but he also worked out hard in the offseason to maintain his body for the abuse he gave it during the season. I really don't think he's the person Canseco was referring to especially since he said there was someone ALREADY in the hall that was a user.

Yeah, I also don't see where Canseco indicated that it was a teammate/

Sly

Aug 7, 2008

I think the OP needs to change his thread title here. In fact, the title is some SERIOUS baseless accusations.

You're referring to what Canseco said, and based on what A-Pharis has shown, Canseco has NOT "called out" Rickey for steroids.

The people on this board can say whatever they want, but NO ONE in the public-eye, or to the media has "called out" Rickey Henderson, yet what you're thread title is saying is stated as truth. Unless you can show us a DIRECT link where "Rickey Henderson (has been) called out for steroids", I think you need to change this to "speculation."

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.

another possibility I came up with if not Ripken was Nolan Ryan since he played in Texas with him late in Nolan's extremely long career and during the peek of his own personal steroid era. either way if one of the two America's sweethearts ended up being the person he was referring to how many people would just be crushed?

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR

Wasn't Canseco and Boggs both in Tampa Bay in 1999?

I know Boggs' numbers weren't great that year, being his final year, but he could have been using just to get to 3000 hits.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts