Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Some men just know what they want. Congrats, Miggy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
Although I do not particularly like the card (Not a fan of odd shaped cards) and that is quite a chunk of change. I do understand the significance of a card like this to a collection. I don't often agree with Miggy on many things but I congratulations on the pick up. I hope it is everything you want it to be.

MOFNY: Just because you lost the joy of collecting and building a collection do not judge others on what the choose to buy. I have often times sold/traded personal collections items to fund or trade for other items and each time very happy that I have done so because the items I traded were not as rare as the item I recieved. Considering there are only 2 A&G sketch cards I can't imagine there are many if any Miggy type cards that are any rarer than this one.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
I agree with MOFNY here, miggy just wants to remain a legend here and he can only do it with these every other week 10 page threads, and this was just a way for him to do it again. sketch cards are as lame as they come, so many better things to spend 5 balloons on. just another case of keeping up with the joneses.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
boomo: First off he didn't start the thread, second off I do not know of many FCB'ers (less than a handful that I can think of off the top of my head) that have an A&G Sketch. You may not like sketch cards, and I may not like sketch cards but can you not simply be happy for a collector that got a card they really wanted? If we wanted to talk about wasting money on buying cardboard we are all guilty.

And even if this card is on ebay next week or a month from now that really should't matter. It should be about the joy of collecting.

Aug 7, 2008
Maryland
1: Congrats Mig
2: Mig is a legend on the board. Love him or hate him the truth is sometimes you just have to look.
3: MIggy upgraded! Everyone always talks about selling a pc card to upgrade. Usually its just to get the same card in better condition but in Migs case he upgraded a double he owned into a 1/1 that he really wanted.
4: Who cares how he spends his money or if he sells it 2 weeks from now to upgrade to something else. If you pulled that sketch would you be bitching about Miggy throwing down $500 on it? NO!!!
5: Miggy should get a FCB legend status under his name!!!

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I don't like a Dick Perez painting card (a renowned sports artist, DK anyone? and a card in which the image was used for a regular card) being compared to the common sketch card.

I am one of the biggest haters of Topps' new random people, random sketches, program, but a Mauer A & G would be right at the top of the list. Also, I take it you've never spent $500 on a card?

boomo, I don't think you know what your talking about. Can't really be keeping up with the Jones', considering he may be the only board member that owns an A & G Perez 1/1, and if there are others, there are few.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
EricChavezCollector3 said:
Although I do not particularly like the card (Not a fan of odd shaped cards) and that is quite a chunk of change. I do understand the significance of a card like this to a collection. I don't often agree with Miggy on many things but I congratulations on the pick up. I hope it is everything you want it to be.

MOFNY: Just because you lost the joy of collecting and building a collection do not judge others on what the choose to buy. I have often times sold/traded personal collections items to fund or trade for other items and each time very happy that I have done so because the items I traded were not as rare as the item I recieved. Considering there are only 2 A&G sketch cards I can't imagine there are many if any Miggy type cards that are any rarer than this one.
I haven't lost the joy. In fact in many ways I am quiting before I lose the joy. Essentially I am trying to leave the hobby on a positive note. I made a thread about it a few weeks ago.

I agree with MOFNY here, miggy just wants to remain a legend here and he can only do it with these every other week 10 page threads, and this was just a way for him to do it again. sketch cards are as lame as they come, so many better things to spend 5 balloons on. just another case of keeping up with the joneses.
I thought about that too. I'm not sure if that is the case, but it's clear that he is egged on often. He is way too impressionable, and most people here don't help.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I think this shows just what collecting is all about. I have bought and sold so many cards for others cards it is crazy, some I regret moving and some I dont, oh well.

As long as he can pay for it and wants it; good deal.

Congrats Miggy, it is a cool piece!

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
flightposite said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
flightposite said:
Runner-up cost him an extra $250 (hopefully it wasn't someone bidding just because miggy was going after it). But I really respect whenever someone just steps up and says, I want this, I don't care what it goes for. Enjoy, miggy.

[ebay:34fij0k7]370231304149[/ebay:34fij0k7]

!BWnrr1gB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DgEjlLlgJ6SBKYSeytzV!~~_12.jpg

Miguel Cabrera is an all star caliber player and is on his way to possibly one of the best careers ever. There are a lot of Cabrera collectors out there.

Very nice win though, I agree with the OP as this is an awesome piece for a Miggy collection.

True, but that didn't stop multiple board members from bidding up the Finest superfractor on him. It is a very real possibility that someone went after it a bit harder because miggy wanted it.

Yeah I here ya, it's too bad that people would even consider doing that on a card they had no interest in just to run up the price.

I don't really get why people are questioning the purchase either. Yeah it's a lot of money, but if he can afford it and it's something he really wanted, then who cares? This is a one of a kind item that will probably only show up one time, so he jumped on the opportunity.

And by the way, age really has nothing to do with a purchase either. If he sold cards to make a lot of this money, then why does it matter? It's not like he's selling his house to be able to buy new cards.

People do different things with their money. Some prospect or "invest" it, and some spend it on stuff for their collections. I happen to be one of those who mostly invests, while adding a PC card every now and then when I see something I really want, so even as someone who mostly prospects, I can definitely understand and appreciate the magnitude of a purchase like this.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
flightposite said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I don't like a Dick Perez painting card (a renowned sports artist, DK anyone? and a card in which the image was used for a regular card) being compared to the common sketch card.

I am one of the biggest haters of Topps' new random people, random sketches, program, but a Mauer A & G would be right at the top of the list. Also, I take it you've never spent $500 on a card?

boomo, I don't think you know what your talking about. Can't really be keeping up with the Jones', considering he may be the only board member that owns an A & G Perez 1/1, and if there are others, there are few.

gee, thanks so much for helping me with my spelling, cus that is such a major issue here. I do know what i am talking about, keeping up with the joneseseses is exactly what it is, meaning the other people who run these things up to stupid prices just to say they have one or whatever. he is barely out of HS, he needs this card like he needs a 2nd ahole.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
If it were a Red Refractor RC, people would be falling all over themselves to congratulate the guy.

Great pickup, Miggy. Congrats.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yuck, Bowman's for minor league players :)

But seriously you're entirely right, and the investment people who think this way are entirely wrong. Dick Perez sketches can be investment pieces as well as collectibles, it has an extra dimension or two and may likely prove to be not only a better collectible than a Bowman minor league card but also a better investment.

braden said:
If it were a Red Refractor RC, people would be falling all over themselves to congratulate the guy.

Great pickup, Miggy. Congrats.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
If he is happy with his new card, that's all that matters, in my opinion. I think it is great when a collector finally grabs a "white whale". His age isn't important in the situation. I see young people paying $300-500 for a new phone or clothes and wonder if they will feel it is still worth it when it eventually dies/wears out on them. At least with a card, it is something that a person can hold on to for a long, long time.

Recently, I purchased the highest end card in my collection after setting aside $20 a month for over two years. I told myself that if I still wanted the card when I had saved up (and I could find one), then I would make the purchase. The desire for the card was steady, the card was available, and I am completely satisfied with my purchase.

Whether he sells it in the future or not, isn't that important; many, if not most of us, have sold cards we once considered "untouchable" to get something we like more.

Glad you got the card you wanted, miggy!

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
JackLondon said:
If he is happy with his new card, that's all that matters, in my opinion. I think it is great when a collector finally grabs a "white whale". His age isn't important in the situation. I see young people paying $300-500 for a new phone or clothes and wonder if they will feel it is still worth it when it eventually dies/wears out on them. At least with a card, it is something that a person can hold on to for a long, long time.

Recently, I purchased the highest end card in my collection after setting aside $20 a month for over two years. I told myself that if I still wanted the card when I had saved up (and I could find one), then I would make the purchase. The desire for the card was steady, the card was available, and I am completely satisfied with my purchase.

Whether he sells it in the future or not, isn't that important; many, if not most of us, have sold cards we once considered "untouchable" to get something we like more.

Glad you got the card you wanted, miggy!

You've got a PM

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Snyper said:
Hey MOFNY, you look a little thirsty. Here, it's on the house-

HATERADE.jpg

Why post this when MOFNY posted his opinion, that seems to go against the masses.
He cant have a differing opinion from yours or anyone elses? He must just be "green with envy" and "haterade"?

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
Musial Collector said:
Snyper said:
Hey MOFNY, you look a little thirsty. Here, it's on the house-

HATERADE.jpg

Why post this when MOFNY posted his opinion, that seems to go against the masses.
He cant have a differing opinion from yours or anyone elses? He must just be "green with envy" and "haterade"?

And? I posted mine. Get over it.

sportsfanatic92

Aug 7, 2008
Sick Card, great addition to the collection Miggy. I think its ridiculous that people are make judgments on how he spends his money just because he is 18, he could have spent double on the card and still no one should criticize the way he spends his money. Obviously everyone is entitled to offer their opinion that he overpaid, which I personally don't think he did, but not that he shouldn't have spent that much money on a card, because quite frankly its none of anyone elses' business.

*EDIT* Hey! I got this one in the right forum this time :lol:

Members online