Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

~~~ THE HOCKEY TALK THREAD 2012 OFF-SEASON ~~~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Pavel Bure, Adam Oates, Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin were elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame today. the four players will be officially inducted into the HHOF on Monday, November 12, 2012.

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/ind12prolog.shtml

i still dont know how i feel about it to be honest.

ive been a "casual" NHL fan for some time now, and its weird to see the four guys who got in today actually get in, as i watched them from when they were rookies, if not sooner.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
i still dont know how i feel about it to be honest.

ive been a "casual" NHL fan for some time now, and its weird to see the four guys who got in today actually get in, as i watched them from when they were rookies, if not sooner.

I know how I feel about it. it makes me feel old.

poppudaimadochi

Jul 28, 2010
Long Island, NY
Tim Bozon drafted by the Canadiens!! Another frenchie could make it to the NHL/AHL, after Philippe Bozon (Tim's father), Yorrick Treille, Cristobal Huet and Stephane DaCosta

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
bucco what is word in Pittsburgh on Sid deal. Haven't teams learned these 10 year contracts are not good. NBA is only league that is smart enough and doesn't allow these long term deals anymore. I think they only allow existing teams to offer 6 yrs and new teams as FA offer of 5 yrs max. Could we see this worked into the new cba.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
It's a good deal for PGH. He stays, no raise. Will likely retire a Pen now. Can sign Malkin with the extra cash.
12 years puts him only at age 36 at the end of this contract. By comparison Jarone Iginla turns 35 Sunday.

Luongo signed a 12 year deal when he was 30, making him 42 at the end of his deal. That's a little different.
I think the Sid deal is smart for Pit.

(He may be returning to FLA)

Thre new CBA will likely try to put restrictions on term length.
Why do the stupid owners have to protect themselves from themselves?

Last edited:

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
I'm sure the majority of owners/exects are against these long term deals.
Sid deal is so risky for Pens it's not even funny. Pretty much guarantee deal for all that money for a guy that could be out of hockey with another big hit on him. Sid is about the last guy I would give a long term deal to.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
Ray Shero stated on NHL Live yesterday that the Penguins have purchased insurance on Sid's new contract. so if in the unfortunate event that something does happen the owners are covered. likewise Crosby purchased a similar insurance last season for himself and can cash it out in the event that something goes wrong.

I agree long contracts like Sid's, Ovechkin's, Luongo's and so on are extremely risky for teams to agree to and I believe it has been mentioned by the NHL that they are pushing for a cap to be placed on contract lengths in the new CBA.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
Happy Free Agency Day!!!

the free agency period begins at Noon Eastern.

the biggest UFA's this Summer are Zach Parise and Ryan Suter. it will be interesting to see how much these two players get on the open market in a Summer without a CBA.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Marty Brodeur resigns with Devils for 2 years

Olli Jokinen signs with Winnipeg for 2 years

Jiri Hudler signs in Calgary

Carey Price signs 6 year $39 million deal in Montreal. He was a Restricted Free Agent.

Jordan Staal signs 10 year $60 Million in Carolina.

These look like the bigger signing so far since Canada Day! (July 1st)

robert67

Dec 5, 2010
Wild sign Suter and Parise to identical 13 year 98 million dollar deals.

7.5 million per year is a lot of scratch!

Disappointed but not suprised that Suter left. David Poile better have learned his lesson in relation to Shea Weber. If he didn't, he should be run out of Nashville.

If the Predators are ever to be taken seriously they have to sign Weber long term or get a ton of quality for him in a trade, IMHO.

Robert

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Just got back from Vegas and luckily saw the news before we left. Yup, caught the Wild at 60:1 to win The Cup!!! Also threw some cash down on the 'Lanche at 40:1 as my long-shot this year.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
HOLY CRAP wasn't expecting both of them to go to Minnesota at all!!! You gotta be happy if your a Wild fan!!!!

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
I'm disappointed the Pens weren't able to land Parise but it was his plan all along to return home and play for the Wild.

good luck to he and Suter in Minnesota.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
LOL!!!!!

t7ie5d.jpg

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Can this be a CBA thread or should we start a new one.

The NHL proposal is horrible.
Those idiots can't control themselves. The GMs and owners are to blame. Who would turn down $98m like Sutter and Parise got?

Revenue should be 50/50.
Why not at least a 7 year contract max.

Members online

Latest posts